Czech Republic: Czech National Team (A, U20, U18, U17, U16)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I think that ELSD A, B, C, D and E are all the same league, it's just in the early stages the teams play only against teams from their region, probably mainly to reduce travel costs. At a later stage the 25 teams are divided only into two groups. The first fourteen play for play offs, while the rest only play for placement.

I believe this is a model that copies the Swedish u18 league where you also have J18 Elit in the various regions and later the best teams from each region play in J18 Allsvenskan.

There is actually a lower league for the U18 category - The Regional u18 league: Týmy: Regionální liga staršího dorostu | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje and I would assume that the real drop off in quality comes between the 25 teams in ELSD and the teams in this league.
Thank you! This helps so much!

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I'm glad I could help.

How do you see the chances for the Czech u20 team at the WJC this year? It seems to me that the Czechs have improved over the past few years in terms of talent production, but this has yet to show at the u20 level despite the success in the last years at Ivan Hlinka...

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Considering the games stored on the Hokejka.cz page, I recommend watching the U16 (Prerov tournament) games. Good quality, you can easily distinguish the player numbers. Jan Mysak, Tomas Chlubna and Pavel Novak have been the top 3 forwards for me, noticable whenever they are on ice. Michal Gut showed some slick hands, possibly the best one in that department on the team. Ondrej Balaz with good offensive skills for a defenseman. One really surprising player has been Dominik Binias, playing in the Swiss U17 (and not even dominating there) he showed good all-around game, making smart plays all over the ice.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Considering the games stored on the Hokejka.cz page, I recommend watching the U16 (Prerov tournament) games. Good quality, you can easily distinguish the player numbers. Jan Mysak, Tomas Chlubna and Pavel Novak have been the top 3 forwards for me, noticable whenever they are on ice. Michal Gut showed some slick hands, possibly the best one in that department on the team. Ondrej Balaz with good offensive skills for a defenseman. One really surprising player has been Dominik Binias, playing in the Swiss U17 (and not even dominating there) he showed good all-around game, making smart plays all over the ice.
I've been getting all the Czech junior updates on social media. Seems like all of the U-16,17,18 and 19 teams have been very impressive. All of them are at least 2nd place. Statistically Novak, Mysak, and Geidl look like they are all going to be really good players but that U-16 team as a whole is something to be really excited about I think. It's cool that you can see the games.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Some news about coaching staff in junior teams. The new U20 coach will be Václav Varaďa, he take the role after Filip Pešán. Alois Hadamczik will make return as U18 coach. All changes: U16 Petr Haken, U17 Karel Beran, U18 Alois Hadamczik, U19 David Bruk and U20 Václav Varaďa.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
LOL awful
Why keep Petr Haken with the 01 age group, when he only won the first U17 medal since 2006 and had good results throughout the season. No, demote him to the U16 and award the strong 01 group to an old-school coach who has a family relative in that age group and watch him destroy the talented generation. Varada is fine and since I know next to nothing about Beran, whatever.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
LOL awful
Why keep Petr Haken with the 01 age group, when he only won the first U17 medal since 2006 and had good results throughout the season. No, demote him to the U16 and award the strong 01 group to an old-school coach who has a family relative in that age group and watch him destroy the talented generation. Varada is fine and since I know next to nothing about Beran, whatever.
I think it's not bad move, he was successful at this level before and will have tons of respect from players. Agree about Haken deserve a chance though. But he is still only 40 years old and still learning as well, maybe they don't find him suited into bigger role right now.

On the previous topic, there is also rumor Josef Jandač will end after this season. Next-in-line should be someone with junior teams experience, I guess Filip Pešán, Jakub Petr have biggest chance, maybe Rostislav Vlach. But it can change fast if we win medal this WHC.

Hockey7492

May 27, 2014
GER
upload_2018-7-18_12-31-48.jpeg

upload_2018-7-18_12-31-57.jpeg

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
So the U16 finished their first international tournament. Dominant win over Slovakia, solid game against Russia (the result 1:6 is brutal, but 5v5 it was fine, special teams were the difference), so-so perfomace against Salzburg and 0:7 loss against Russia. I didn't watch the last game very closely, but Czechs probably deserved a bit better. Like always, Czech finishing ability was nowhere near good enough, Russians made it look so easy.
The whole tournament only one line was consistently dangerous. It was the Mensik line. Mensik in particular is a name to remember, he impressed me a lot. The first line was very dissapointing, I think they scored only one the whole tournament and it was a bit fluky goal.

Martin Hubner

Sep 6, 2018
Krnov
Tipsport extraliga:
Jan Myšak - 12:24, 0+0, 5 shots
Michal Teplý - 10:04, 0+0
Filip Koffer - 6:43, 0+0, shot
Jaromír Pytlík - 11:27, 0+0
Jakub Galvas - 17:07, 0+0, 6 shots

Chance Liga
Ondřej Buchtela - 12:35, 0+0, 1 shot
Michael Gaspar - 17:09, 0+0
David Kvasnička - 21:36, 0+0
Lukáš Rousek - 15:14, 2+0
Oscar Flynn - 11:22, 0+0
Daniel Dvořák - 60:00, 97,22%
Jakub Navrátil - 14:31, 0+0, 4 shots

Solid TOI for everyone.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I like the way the boys are playing in Hodonin (U-20). Even without star forwards (Necas, Zadina etc) they are creating opportunities and scoring plenty of goals. I'm especially impressed with skating, forecheck and rapid puck movement and decision-making. Varada is doing a good job, and I hope to see the same level of play at the WJC.

Reactions: Wooren and Jablkon

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
The Czech U16 team lost twice against Switzerland in the three-game friendly. Once in overtime, today in shootout. Judging by the stats/play-by-play the Czechs seemed to be more or less the better team, but I still don't recall when was the last time U16 lost twice to the Swiss. Having seen this team at the Salzburg tournament, I worry about the quality of this age group. They got destroyed by Russia twice there, and now they couldn't even beat Switzerland. Might be 1995/98 bad. The 4-Nations tournament coming up should tell us more, I assume we will have the best possible squads there.

Then again, I do recall '99s losing three times in row to Switzerland in the U17.

Reactions: Rexor and Swipes

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
The Czech U16 team lost twice against Switzerland in the three-game friendly. Once in overtime, today in shootout. Judging by the stats/play-by-play the Czechs seemed to be more or less the better team, but I still don't recall when was the last time U16 lost twice to the Swiss. Having seen this team at the Salzburg tournament, I worry about the quality of this age group. They got destroyed by Russia twice there, and now they couldn't even beat Switzerland. Might be 1995/98 bad. The 4-Nations tournament coming up should tell us more, I assume we will have the best possible squads there.

Then again, I do recall '99s losing three times in row to Switzerland in the U17.

I think it's been a while since we lost to the Swiss at the U-16 level. Is this the 2003 age group? I don't know anything about them.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I think it's been a while since we lost to the Swiss at the U-16 level. Is this the 2003 age group? I don't know anything about them.
Yes it is the 2003. Last year the '02s lost to Swiss once, two years ago the '00s as well. But losing twice, I don't recall that. Perhaps the Swiss have a very good team? I don't know, but as I said, this year's U16 was pretty mediocre at the Salzburg tournament.

Kesid

The House of Penguin
Aug 25, 2005
Well, according to Haken SUI players and even Salzburg players were more skilled than our guys. He mentioned passing/receiving pass as one of the biggest difference, also mentioned playing without the puck (our guys are not used to it, because they are TOP players in their teams and have the puck all the time) and 1 on 1/small area battles.

Reactions: Wooren

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Well, according to Haken SUI players and even Salzburg players were more skilled than our guys. He mentioned passing/receiving pass as one of the biggest difference, also mentioned playing without the puck (our guys are not used to it, because they are TOP players in their teams and have the puck all the time) and 1 on 1/small area battles.
Yes, the score against Salzburg (5:1 win I think) is very misleading. That game was close and could have gone either.

Reactions: Kesid

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Any standouts from your point of view?
The second line (Matous Mensik-Petr Moravec-Lukas Pajer) scored majority of the goals. Mensik in particular was impressive, though have to keep in mind he seems to be more physically developed. Other than this line, I liked Jakub Brabenec and a defenseman I can't remember the name of. I think it was Sebastian Jasecko.

Last edited:

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I've recently been following some of our NHL players that usually get less attention such as Simon and Kampf. Both of them have really shown consistent efforts. Simon is playing a solid game, even playing on the same line with Crosby from time to time. Kampf is logging almost 14min ice time per game at the moment and is also showing some slick moves here and there. Kase (if healthy) is also worth mentioning. This is good news for our national team depth offensively.

Also, what a relief it is to see Kempny sticking around in WSH. Arguably our best and only defender with a decent shot from the blue line. I'm glad he is getting sufficient ice time in WSH, playing top 4 D regularly. At least a tiny bit of good news what concerns our future D structure in the national team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad