Czech Extraliga 2020-2021 (Trinec wins championship)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Translation:

Top junior league has 19 teams.. will be reduced to 14 by 2022/23
2nd highest junior league has 12 teams and is going to 14
the remaining leauge has 30 teams and will be reduced to 24

Basically, Czechs have way too many Junior teams and it is totally watered down. For comparison, the OHL for all of Ontario (which has 15 million people) has 20 teams and the Czech junior league has 19. That is watered down. Now they'll have 14 teams which should create a trickle down effect to balance it out.

Theory is good, not sure about execution but it does make sense and is encouraging.

Reactions: pgfan66

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Translation:

Top junior league has 19 teams.. will be reduced to 14 by 2022/23
2nd highest junior league has 12 teams and is going to 14
the remaining leauge has 30 teams and will be reduced to 24

Basically, Czechs have way too many Junior teams and it is totally watered down. For comparison, the OHL for all of Ontario (which has 15 million people) has 20 teams and the Czech junior league has 19. That is watered down. Now they'll have 14 teams which should create a trickle down effect to balance it out.

Theory is good, not sure about execution but it does make sense and is encouraging.
I would just to add.

"the remaining league has 30 teams and will be reduced to 24" It means the top U18 league (dorost). While the other two, as you correctly wrote, are two highest junior (U20) leagues.

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Awesome, thank you! Appreciate the info. Will be interesting to see if that changes anything in the short and long term.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would just to add.

"the remaining league has 30 teams and will be reduced to 24" It means the top U18 league (dorost). While the other two, as you correctly wrote, are two highest junior (U20) leagues.
Thank You!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Review of the playoffs so far:

Pre-playoffs:
Plzeň (5) vs Olomouc (12) 0-3
Hradec Králové (6) vs Litvínov (11) 3-0
Pardubice (7) vs Karlovy Vary (10) 3-1
Vítkovice (8) vs Brno (9) 2-3

Quarterfinals:
Sparta Prague (1) vs Olomouc (12) 4-0
Třinec (2) vs Brno (9) 4-0
Mladá Boleslav (3) vs Pardubice (7) 4-0
Liberec (4) vs Hradec Králové (6) 4-0

Semifinals:
Sparta Prague vs Liberec 3-4
Třinec vs Mladá Boleslav 4-3

In the finals, Třinec leads Liberec 2-0.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
upload_2021-4-26_17-40-21.png

Big Spacek fan.. hope he joins national team. Same with Musil.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
can anyone do a top 10 best players in extraliga?
Hard to compare PPG forward to stay at home D but I'd say in no particular order: Kvaca, Gernat, Kostalek, Mueller, Spacek, Zohorna, Ruzicka, Holik, Repik, Tomasek, Horak. Some of the veterans like Vrana, Gulas, Birner etc. are also still really good but they will likely fall of the cliff pretty soon, arguably has already happened to Gulas in this PO.

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Are there any awards this season, like MVP, Playoff MVP, Best Goalie, Best Defenseman, All-Star Team etc? Thanks.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Swede Gustaf Thorell to Plzen. He is a good hardworking player, could play in SHL. Im suprised not more swedes takes the chance to play in Czech.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
No real reason to leave your home country I suppose. And if you are good enough to play in Extraliga you are good enough to find a job in the SHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Swede Gustaf Thorell to Plzen. He is a good hardworking player, could play in SHL. Im suprised not more swedes takes the chance to play in Czech.
Extraliga is, unfortunately, the wrong direction. Eg. if end goal is to be an NHLer... not many guys have gone directly from Extraliga to NHL (Hertl was the last one). SEL is so strong that the 2nd league gets guys drafted into NHL. It makes more sense, again unfortunately, for the Czechs to try to get into the Swedish, Swiss, Finnis leagues etc. Wtih the grown of DEL and all their talent, I could see a few Czech kids going there as well in the future. This current u18 team has several players in Swiss, Swede and Finn league. I can't remember the last time a good non Czech with NHL potential came to Czech league in a non covid, non lockout year.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Extraliga is, unfortunately, the wrong direction. Eg. if end goal is to be an NHLer... not many guys have gone directly from Extraliga to NHL (Hertl was the last one).
Mm.. Necas? Chytil?

But in general, I don't think he is talking about the players whose goal is the NHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Mm.. Necas? Chytil?

But in general, I don't think he is talking about the players whose goal is the NHL.
Necas went to the AHL
Chytil went to the AHL
Simek went to the AHL
Rittich went to the AHL
Kempny went to the KHL then AHL

Last one to go from Extraliga to NHL was Hertl...

JustSomeGuyCZ

Apr 24, 2021
Necas went to the AHL
Chytil went to the AHL
Simek went to the AHL
Rittich went to the AHL
Kempny went to the KHL then AHL

Last one to go from Extraliga to NHL was Hertl...
I would say that last one to go from Extraliga to NHL was R. Zohorna. I know he started the season in AHL but he got called up quickly, so technically it's him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I would say that last one to go from Extraliga to NHL was R. Zohorna. I know he started the season in AHL but he got called up quickly, so technically it's him.

I'm a big fan but as of now he has played more AHL games than NHL ones. Also.. healthy scratch a lot. I wouldn't say he's made the NHL just yet.

JustSomeGuyCZ

Apr 24, 2021
I'm a big fan but as of now he has played more AHL games than NHL ones. Also.. healthy scratch a lot. I wouldn't say he's made the NHL just yet.
I know he still isn't NHL regular, but he was able to crack the NHL roster at least for five matches straight from Extraliga, which is a good sign for the league (or Boleslav)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->