Cyclone Taylor or Bill Cook?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I've only read about it and never seen a tape of the game, but apparently during the pre-game ceremonies before the first ever Vancouver Canucks game, Cyclone Taylor was introduced and the fans gave him a standing ovation that just went on and on and on.

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
Bigger icon, I'd say Taylor. But I live in Vancouver and Cyclone has a bit of a legend up here.

Really, I'm from Surrey and the only way I found out about him is when I watched a Bure highlight video and they mentioned cyclone's name and then I researched him. I don't think he's treated here the same way Richard is in Montreal.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
definitely taylor. he was a superstar wherever he played.

cook, on the other hand, seems to be one of the most forgotten greats.
NYR didn't retire his number. doesn't even have a cool nickname. :(

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Really, I'm from Surrey and the only way I found out about him is when I watched a Bure highlight video and they mentioned cyclone's name and then I researched him. I don't think he's treated here the same way Richard is in Montreal.

Obviously he's not what Richard is to Montreal, Babe Ruth in New York isn't what Richard is to Montreal.

That's why I said a bit of a legend, as opposed to a legend. Since his team and everything has no standing lineage he hasn't achieved the level of other players, but he is a spirit that can be evoked and will be generally understood by hockey fans. Which is more than can be said for Cook in New York.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Cyclone Taylor

Obviously he's not what Richard is to Montreal, Babe Ruth in New York isn't what Richard is to Montreal.

That's why I said a bit of a legend, as opposed to a legend. Since his team and everything has no standing lineage he hasn't achieved the level of other players, but he is a spirit that can be evoked and will be generally understood by hockey fans. Which is more than can be said for Cook in New York.

Cyclone Taylor also owned and operated a sporting goods store in Vancouver for over 50 years which helped keep his name in front of the public.

Bill Cook played in New York on a line with Frank Boucher and "Bun" Cook. All three are members of the HHOF. They were contemporaries of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and all the other baseball greats produced by the Yankees during the twenties and thirties.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, since I have the History of Hockey Taylor replica stick with a photo of him in that beautiful Ottawa Senators jersey on my wall in my hockey room, I will say him.

btw, that is a gorgeous reproduction stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad