Cycling

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Race #2 ended after 1 mile when I notice my derailleur hanger had bent. Not even sure what happened, but sounded like someone else had a mechanical right before me. I had a great start and was in 1st place when it happened. The ****ing way she goes...

CactusEverywhere

Jun 9, 2017
Texas
Howdy fellow biking folks! Long time lurker, finally signed up this month. Y'all have some neat bikes. I prefer the dirt, but so long as I'm pedaling, it's all good. I'm more casual a rider than most of you seem to be, too. I don't track miles/speed, compete, or anything like that. I just hop on and go, giving the critters something to gawk at. :)

Trek2 by J. M., on Flickr
(don't mind the uncut steerer)

Trek1 by J. M., on Flickr

HToad1 by J. M., on Flickr

Last edited:

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Howdy fellow biking folks! Long time lurker, finally signed up this month. Y'all have some neat bikes. I prefer the dirt, but so long as I'm pedaling, it's all good. I'm more casual a rider than most of you seem to be, too. I don't track miles/speed, compete, or anything like that. I just hop on and go, giving the critters something to gawk at. :)

102_2651_zpsquiipiwx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(don't mind the uncut steerer)

102_2713_zpsrwgl9czm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

102_2708_zps7u9jcy2n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
That's a beautiful trail man.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Just putting the finishing touches on my first bike build this week and it should be road ready by the weekend.

I kept running into problems with almost every component during the install, but in the end, I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

34597329214_71e95a4014_o.jpg

I'm already looking forward to the next build.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Just putting the finishing touches on my first bike build this week and it should be road ready by the weekend.

I kept running into problems with almost every component during the install, but in the end, I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

34597329214_71e95a4014_o.jpg

I'm already looking forward to the next build.

Awesome! Building your own bike is the best. When something goes wrong you'll be in a much better position to fix it yourself. Not only saving money, but saving time as well.

Did you build the wheels, too? Worth getting a truing stand and learning wheel building/maintenance as well. Maybe not *as* useful on a road bike than on a MTB.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Did you build the wheels, too? Worth getting a truing stand and learning wheel building/maintenance as well. Maybe not *as* useful on a road bike than on a MTB.

No I didn't. I'm really just a commuter/weekend warrior so I'd have a hard time justifying spending the money on wheel building tools when I don't need anything particularly special. I considered building some wheels, but in the end it just made more sense buying take offs from someone else or buying some basic ones that were on sale.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
UC, that bike looks awesome! That's something I still need to try and do one of these days. Maybe after we move.

Speaking of, just got back from a long weekend of apartment hunting and training out in PDX. Picture doesn't even remotely do it justice, but just happened to stop there so snapped one.

tQdFFLdKDz79ivaZjvr695usZsPRKKGTwUvc3l1ucFc-2048x1152.jpg

CactusEverywhere

Jun 9, 2017
Texas
That's a beautiful trail man.

That's some paths that wind around behind the housing. Mellow & nice. The actual singletrack trails are in the state park, just a stone's throw to the left over a barbwire fence. I haven't hit them up in a while though.

This is the beginner trail.
Trek3 by J. M., on Flickr

This one's like the next step up from that one /\. That escalated quickly haha.
Trek4 by J. M., on Flickr

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Did not manage to do the ride as planned. Partly due to weather, some unsafe roads with them being wet and some difficult descents, and our unofficial tour guide having a mechanical issue before we even got going and not being able to join us.

BUT, still had one hell of a ride. Didn't hit the 130 we had planned, but did get 120. Everyone else tapped out at 110. I figured I'd split the difference. Getting another 20 in solo was just more than I could handle mentally, but 120 and 10,000+ feet of climbing ain't too shabby.

Y4tNHs3.png

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Had a hard-earned 2nd place yesterday. Very fast pace and equally competitive field. The race only last 61 minutes, but we had 1500' of climbing and averaged nearly 11 mph.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Nice ride this morning down in Florida where the in laws moved to this weekend. First ride on the new wheels, too.

bGm2v1O.jpg

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Did my first MTB ride with my new powermeter yesterday. I really cannot say enough good things about it. Since it is located in the crank spider, it gives me a L/R balance analysis. I was at 49/51 for the ride. It also helped me identify some weaknesses based on changes in the grade of the trails. Quarq DZero is the way to go!

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've been considering the P1 pedals, although maybe not anymore since one of the big selling points for me was how easy they are to move from bike to bike.... and I'm down to one bike now.

My biggest hesitation is it taking too much joy out of the riding process. I tend to obsess over numbers to begin with, which has me worried that a power meter would just be too much and start to suck the fun out of just pure cycling for me. Well that and a decent one is expensive as ****!

But I do have to admit training with power on my Kickr is awesome, and I do plan to keep on using it to get stronger with consistent trainer sessions. Now that I'm basically in my off season mode I'll probably look for a Trainer Road plan to follow to keep that structured training in my life. I want to get to where I can average 200 watts while staying in zone 2 with my HR. Before I started my taper I could average high 180s with a high zone 2 HR for 90-120 minutes.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
First attempt at a proper FTP test yesterday. Averaged 245 watts for 20 minutes. Pretty happy with that.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Seymour and Cyprus in Vancouver are great inclines to ride up. Seymour is around 6% average for 13km.

Do you guys end up losing a lot of water weight on long bike rides? I tend to lose 5-8 pounds. Typically need to take some electrolyte tabs with me on hot days.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Seymour and Cyprus in Vancouver are great inclines to ride up. Seymour is around 6% average for 13km.

Do you guys end up losing a lot of water weight on long bike rides? I tend to lose 5-8 pounds. Typically need to take some electrolyte tabs with me on hot days.

You are crazy.

My legs burn even just seeing people biking up those mountains or the Sea to Sky as I drive past.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I've never done a super long road climb. I think the longest (and hardest) I've done was a rocky MTB climb that was 900' and took 20 minutes.

I went to a cyclocross clinic for my first dose of CX action last night. I liked it. I'm going to try some races this year, but on my mountain bike.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Longest climb I've ever done was out on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, leaving from close to Asheville I think. Stats according to Strava (which were uploaded via my Garmin bike computer):

19.5 miles
+3452 feet
3%

Took me 2 hours and 5 minutes at an average of 9.4mph, and average HR of 150.

Stopped to take one pic about 3/4 of the way up:

f5Uw_yXCC5GrCBSXJYasexGSfrcgNVA-mDsfOOHniRM-2048x1152.jpg

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
You are crazy.

My legs burn even just seeing people biking up those mountains or the Sea to Sky as I drive past.

There is lots of great scenery in the lower mainland. Even the simple skytrain trail from new west to Vancouver packs some nice scenery. If you get mechanical problems you can always take the train back. I think its around 25km from the Fraser river in new west to Stanley park. It's a great ride for you since you said you did a 20km ride. Weather looks to be great for the next few weeks.

CactusEverywhere

Jun 9, 2017
Texas
Hey all, been meaning to post, just been lazy :p. Took my dad's bike for a spin the other day. Poor thing hasn't been ridden in forever, I think I'm gonna just claim it as my own from now on ;). A bit big for me and the seat hurt after a while, but it rides nice.

36933594941_e778b244c9_b.jpg
[/url]102_3059 by J. M., on Flickr[/IMG]

Looks deserted and does feel a bit eery sometimes, but civilization is just a stone's throw to the right.
36678539500_f5a21068c5_z.jpg
[/url]102_3060 by J. M., on Flickr[/IMG]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->