Cycling

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I used to get my cardio fix from running outside or on the treadmill but recently I've taken up cycling.

I usually leave it on the highest gear and go as hard as I can for 20-30 minutes.

Is cycling a good form of cardio/conditioning? My heart doesn't give er as hard as when I'm running but my knee joints don't kill after and It's quit enjoyable.

Also my quads burn like crazy after each ride.

Anyone else enjoy cycling? Can it be considered a cardio workout? A good form of cardio?

Reactions: JoshQuick

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
I used to get my cardio fix from running outside or on the treadmill but recently I've taken up cycling.

I usually leave it on the highest gear and go as hard as I can for 20-30 minutes.

Is cycling a good form of cardio/conditioning? My heart doesn't give er as hard as when I'm running but my knee joints don't kill after and It's quit enjoyable.

Also my quads burn like crazy after each ride.

Anyone else enjoy cycling? Can it be considered a cardio workout? A good form of cardio?

Abso-friggin-lutely.

If you aren't feeling the same strain on your cardio as with running, try doing hills/intervals instead of givin' 'er for 30 minutes.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
cycling is a great form of cardio and can really build up your legs. Just be careful however if you do other sports since cycling will shorten your hamstrings quite a bit since you don't get a full range of motion.

For instance if you run, I would avoid cycling or come up with ways to combat the negative side effects of cycling.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
cycling is a great form of cardio and can really build up your legs. Just be careful however if you do other sports since cycling will shorten your hamstrings quite a bit since you don't get a full range of motion.

For instance if you run, I would avoid cycling or come up with ways to combat the negative side effects of cycling.

So as soon as you get off the bike go do some stiff-legged deadlifts? Will do. :naughty:

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
well after wearing my heart rate monitor and while givener my heart rate was 165 bpm almost the whole time. so I think that this is a great cardio workout. I've been cycling to and back from my gym as my warm up/ cooldown

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I'm planning on buying a bike no later than by the end of this weekend. Can't ****ing wait. :yo:

Have never had a "real" bike before, so going to get use to it on paths and such first. Then add the clip-on pedals, and then use it more for transportation. Only reason I'm being so cautious is I'll be riding it on roads with 3-4 lanes wide of traffic, and I don't trust people to not text and drive... So want to make sure I'll know how to, and be able to react if/when I need to.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I bought a bike when I first started Grad School and my goal was to bike to and from school every day . I couldn't believe the amount of maintenance that goes into a bike. It was really kind of a pain in the ass for me. I then learned that from some of my friends who bike more frequently in the city that they lug around all this extra gear to maintain the bike . It really turned me off to biking in the city.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I bought a bike when I first started Grad School and my goal was to bike to and from school every day . I couldn't believe the amount of maintenance that goes into a bike. It was really kind of a pain in the ass for me. I then learned that from some of my friends who bike more frequently in the city that they lug around all this extra gear to maintain the bike . It really turned me off to biking in the city.

What kind of bike was it? Was it used?

The shop I plan on buying mine from does free lifetime tuneups, if you buy brand new from them. It's also right across the street from work.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
I bought my bike off kijiji here in Winnipeg for 150 bucks. It's a 1975 sekine road bike. Goes super fast and gets the job done.

I don't like riding on the road or side walks. Winnipeg has some really long bike paths all throughout the city which is super cool. So I can usually get anywhere by finding a bike path in the area.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What kind of bike was it? Was it used?

The shop I plan on buying mine from does free lifetime tuneups, if you buy brand new from them. It's also right across the street from work.

It was a brand new Trex 820. Very solid mountain bike, which i wanted for the city because It is not smooth terrain. In the first month I had to replace 3 tires, and Had to constantly fine tune the gear changer . I was thinking about about just getting a fixed gear bike instead , but still the problem were the tires.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It was a brand new Trex 820. Very solid mountain bike, which i wanted for the city because It is not smooth terrain. In the first month I had to replace 3 tires, and Had to constantly fine tune the gear changer . I was thinking about about just getting a fixed gear bike instead , but still the problem were the tires.

Gotcha... and yeah, I anticipate that being an issue riding througout the street of Atlanta, since most of them (at least where I will be on a regular basis) are in pretty rough shape.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I'm heavy into mtn biking. So much so that I hung up the skates a little over a year ago and mtn biking is now my #1 activity. Most training rides are around 90 minutes with 1500' climbing and burns around 1000 calories. It's way different than road cycling and uses energy systems that more resemble interval training (other than the long climbs). Very fun and a great way to experience the outdoors and avoid cars.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Bought my bike today. :yo:

photo6.jpg

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My wife and her family are very into cycling. Whister Grand Fondo, Seattle-to-Portland one-dayers, all that stuff. They're trying really hard to get me into it but just haven't given it a chance yet.

I have an older Gary Fisher Black Mamba I picked up for $200 that's still sitting in my garage. Need to get that tuned up and start going for weekend rides. I've committed to a 40km trail ride next year (all flat) so the sooner I get on it the better.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
awesome man. Congrats. Now lock that ISH up!

It's either going to be kept literally in my car while I'm driving, and then coming into work with me, or will be in my apartment.

Went for a nice 25 ish mile ride today. My ass is feeling it.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Yay, a biking thread!

I've had a roadbike for about four years now. Started out on a cross-type, with fenders for my commute to work. Soon bought a proper racebike, which was subsequently stolen... I presently ride a Focus Cayo Evo 2.0 (2012), with the Ultegra Di2 gear. I bought a bikefit, which really helped with the minor issues (sore knee, small of my back, sleeping hands) I had been experiencing.

I've been in a few local sportives, but next year, my brother and I will be racing La Marmotte, a 174 km event in the French Alps.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
is that a high end bike? it sure looks like it.

how much does the frame weigh?

I'm still new to bikes. I'm riding an old school sekine speed bike.

Depends what you consider high end. They had some bikes in there north of $10,000. But the one I got is high end by my standards. :laugh:

The bike and wheels were originally around $2500, and it was rated the 2014 bike of the year. I got it on a closeout sale for $1800 before taxes, but still need to eventually buy clip-in pedals which will run another $200-300 for the ones I'm looking at.

It's a carbon fiber frame, and I'm not sure on the exact weight, but it ain't a whole lot. Actually meant to hop on the scale with it and see how much it weighs out of curiosity, but forgot to. For some reason that I'm not aware of, the website for the bike or any others don't list the weight.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Depends what you consider high end. They had some bikes in there north of $10,000. But the one I got is high end by my standards. :laugh:

The bike and wheels were originally around $2500, and it was rated the 2014 bike of the year. I got it on a closeout sale for $1800 before taxes, but still need to eventually buy clip-in pedals which will run another $200-300 for the ones I'm looking at.

It's a carbon fiber frame, and I'm not sure on the exact weight, but it ain't a whole lot. Actually meant to hop on the scale with it and see how much it weighs out of curiosity, but forgot to. For some reason that I'm not aware of, the website for the bike or any others don't list the weight.

the internet is telling me 18 lbs with wheels and everything. that is super light haha.
looks super sweet man

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
the internet is telling me 18 lbs with wheels and everything. that is super light haha.
looks super sweet man

That sounds heavy, to be honest... I'd be surprised if it were that heavy, because when my hands are full and I'm walking it up 3 flights of stairs into my apartment, I can carry it upstairs with bags in the same hand I'm carrying the bike with... and I ain't that strong. :laugh:

And thanks man, it looks even better in person, too. I was planning on getting in in a different color until I saw it in black/gray in person, and damn.

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
Sold my old 70s era racing bicycle a while ago. Worst mistake ever. :(
Now I'm stuck with my lousy city bike.

Also, take a look at these legs. This picture is taken by pro-cyclist Bartosz Huzarski after a stage in the TdF. :amazed:

ri7a6tcfcdzqlbm5d7ee.png

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Sold my old 70s era racing bicycle a while ago. Worst mistake ever. :(
Now I'm stuck with my lousy city bike.

Also, take a look at these legs. This picture is taken by pro-cyclist Bartosz Huzarski after a stage in the TdF. :amazed:

ri7a6tcfcdzqlbm5d7ee.png

impressive until you figure that EPO plays a large role in cycling, and that it is the dirtiest sport today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->