Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
And after they released the demo, it was the following May that the Witcher 3 was released, so I would think a 2019 release is looking more and more likely.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
This is probably my most anticipated game right now. I wonder if I will have to upgrade my video card for this one, currently have a RX 470 8GB.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Since I am behind the times, did they show any form of Cyberpunk gameplay? I am not similar with this franchise, so I don't even know if 2077 is a standalone project or a continuation of previous games. What should I expect the gameplay to be like? RPG such as Final Fantasy, GTA, or something between like Mass Effect?

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
After watching the 4k trailer over 10 times I can't get the music out of my head.

And I'm fine with that.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Since I am behind the times, did they show any form of Cyberpunk gameplay? I am not similar with this franchise, so I don't even know if 2077 is a standalone project or a continuation of previous games. What should I expect the gameplay to be like? RPG such as Final Fantasy, GTA, or something between like Mass Effect?

Think a more futuristic version of Deus Ex with The Witcher's scope and GTA style exploration with vehicles. It's primarily an RPG with FPS elements, a heavy focus on character development and player agency.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Hard to place it’s RPG elements. There is no classes, so perhaps something like Fallout or TES is a good comparison for RPG mechanics. Gameplay wise in general it’ll be like a more open world Deus Ex.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hard to place it’s RPG elements. There is no classes, so perhaps something like Fallout or TES is a good comparison for RPG mechanics. Gameplay wise in general it’ll be like a more open world Deus Ex.

According to the Gamespot info on the first page, there are classes. It's just that, instead of choosing one when you create your character, the "class system is fluid based on choices" during the game. It might be like CD Projekt's own The Witcher, where everyone starts with the same skill set, but can distribute talent points however they wish each time that they level up... for example, by putting those points into sword skills (to create more of a warrior) or into sign/magic skills (to create more of a mage). Also, in Cyberpunk, you can combine classes and even create a custom class. Other RPG elements include stats ("Strength Constitution Intelligence Reflexes Tech Cool"), skills, perks, experience (XP), character creation ("Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory") and consumable items.

Last edited:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I think it makes sense. I much prefer shooters to be first person, while sword combat to be third person.
Yeah, not sure why it is a big deal for people that it is first person. Works for most other shooters, not sure why it wouldn't work here.

Game looks like it'll be a lot of fun, especially given the impressions from people who were shown the demo behind doors. Don't think we'll see it anytime soon, unfortunately.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
According to the Gamespot info on the first page, there are classes. It's just that, instead of choosing one when you create your character, the "class system is fluid based on choices" during the game. It might be like CD Projekt's own The Witcher, where everyone starts with the same skill set, but can distribute talent points however they wish each time that they level up... for example, by putting those points into sword skills (to create more of a warrior) or into sign/magic skills (to create more of a mage). Also, you can combine classes and even create a custom class. Other RPG elements include stats ("Strength Constitution Intelligence Reflexes Tech Cool"), skills, perks, experience (XP), character creation ("Gender, Looks, Lifepath/Backstory") and consumable items.

That's what I meant.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Some of the dialogue and story of The Witcher was really cringey imo, that was one of the few issues I had with the game. So CPR working with a new setting and story excites me.

Yeah, not sure why it is a big deal for people that it is first person. Works for most other shooters, not sure why it wouldn't work here.

Game looks like it'll be a lot of fun, especially given the impressions from people who were shown the demo behind doors. Don't think we'll see it anytime soon, unfortunately.

The impressions from the demo are ridiculously positive:

Listen, I’ve played a lot of video games in my life. Almost 30 years of them at this point. I know what a “city” looks like in video games, and I’ve watched that definition evolve over the years. I remember when Morrowind’s towns seemed bustling, and Oblivion after that. I remember watching a trailer for the original Assassin’s Creed and being stunned how large and crowded it was. I remember driving around Grand Theft Auto V and being in awe of the traffic and the number of unique pedestrians.
So I’m deadly serious when I say: I didn’t think Night City was possible. Not yet, at least. I literally didn’t think the technology existed. What I saw during CD Projekt’s demo was astounding.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I loved the dialogue in the witcher, especially the important characters, emhyr was the best. His dialogue if Ciri becomes a witcher made me really glad I told her to go.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I thought I was past the age for video game hype/anticipation like this. Apparently not. Based on all we've heard/seen so far, and based on how incredible these guys were with the Witcher 3 support/love, I can't help but think this will be an all timer...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
In the Angry Joe video above, it's mentioned that your character has a cybernetic eye that can scan the world around you and that that's one of the reasons why the game is in 1st-person. They mention scanning enemies during combat to determine their weaknesses. That sounds like it might be a bit like VATS in the Fallout games, but instead of pausing combat to determine which body parts you have the best chance to hit, you might pause combat to determine which body parts are less armored than others. Also, I'm totally guessing here, but maybe there are even modes or upgrades that allow you to see in infrared or see through walls. Either way, having a cybernetic eye lends itself better to a 1st-person view than a 3rd-person one.

I am not similar with this franchise, so I don't even know if 2077 is a standalone project or a continuation of previous games.

I'm learning about it for the first time, myself. It's the first video game based on a pen-and-paper RPG (called Cyberpunk) that Mike Pondsmith (interviewee on the left in the video above) first created in 1988, having been inspired by Blade Runner. He followed it up with a second edition in 1990 and a third edition in 2005. Each edition was accompanied by several novels that fleshed out the Cyberpunk world. CD Projekt Red must consist of a few people who played those pen-and-paper RPGs and read those novels. It seems to be rather similar to what they did with The Witcher: take a relatively obscure fantasy world that someone has already fleshed out (so that they don't have to) and make a video game out of it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Some of the dialogue and story of The Witcher was really cringey imo, that was one of the few issues I had with the game. So CPR working with a new setting and story excites me.

The impressions from the demo are ridiculously positive:
What was cringey about the dialogue?

I thought they did a pretty good job of using dialogue to inform the player of the world Geralt inhabited.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think it makes sense. I much prefer shooters to be first person, while sword combat to be third person.

I much prefer third person in pretty much every scenario, but first person certainly isn't a deal breaker. I really like it when you get the option to choose, such as in Bethesda games or Battlefront (one of the few redeeming qualities IMO).

At the end of the day, I'm sure it'll be fantastic regardless. Really looking forward to it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I loved the dialogue in the witcher, especially the important characters, emhyr was the best. His dialogue if Ciri becomes a witcher made me really glad I told her to go.

Speaking of Ciri... 2:39 she describes a world that sounds eerily like Cyberpunk 2077

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->