Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The way he talked about large vertical buildings almost being their own city (I may be exaggerating because I forgot his actual words) sounded almost exactly like the huge tower blocks in Dredd. I hope we get something like that where it truly feels like its own community

^ And there it is. YES

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a FPS now? **** off.

So sick of first person games. What's the point of having that deep character creation like they were talking about?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
First person :thumbd:

No, first person :thumbu:

XX said:
Game is FPS perspective
FPS perspective made to feel more personal
RPG with Shooter Elements not a Shooter with RPG elements
Multiple different progression systems (Skills, Perks, etc.)

I wasn't before, because we knew nothing but the setting, but I'm very interested now. First-person RPGs with shooter elements are my jam. I'm not huge on cyberpunk, but it's a largely untapped setting for an open world game, so I'm excited for something that may feel new and different from so many of the other open world games.

Last edited:

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The guy being interviewed on Gamespot seemed to almost slip up and give a time frame for the release. Pure speculation but it seems like 2019 is a safe bet

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I believe that we're looking at a 2019 release here. They showed too much of it in that trailer for it to still be two years away. They're clearly very far along with it. Other developers targeting Spring 2019 for their games went ahead and announced that at this E3, so I'm guessing that CD Projekt isn't that confident of being done by then and a Fall 2019 release may be more realistic. Besides, they indicated that they put all of their resources into it after Blood & Wine was released, which was two years ago last month, so it has to be far along by now and they'll likely want to finish it soon so that they can move the team over to the next Witcher game. It wouldn't be safe to let this gamble on a new IP drag into 2020 while their tent pole franchise and money maker is waiting.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Some impressions are popping up:

Andrew Reiner from Game Informer:

Cyberpunk 2077 is a FPS with third-person vehicles, but don't worry, it's all RPG - VG247 ->
I’ve just sat through 50 minutes of straight-up, honest to goodness, violent-as-f*** Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay.

First impressions? Holy ****. Also, it’s a first-person game, despite CD Projekt’s roots in third person games with The Witcher series. Don’t fear though, as much as shooting and gunplay are crucial – and brutal – it’s very much a modern action role-playing game.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
This looks too good. Don't know if it can meet all my expectations, but if it does it'll be one of the best games of all time.

First person is the way to go with this style of sci-fi RPGs. Driving is third person so that's good.

I play Skyrim etc in first person for the most part so it's not a deal breaker, but an option for 3rd person would have been nice.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I play Skyrim etc in first person for the most part so it's not a deal breaker, but an option for 3rd person would have been nice.

This is something that we can agree on. Similarly, it'd be nice if more 3rd-person games would have the option of 1st-person perspective. I don't understand why so many games that employ an over-the-shoulder perspective, which I really hate, don't provide an option to remove the character model that blocks so much of your field of view. That would effectively give a 1st-person perspective for those who want it. I really like how CD Projekt Red did this with The Witcher, providing three different camera modes, one of which allows for a 1st-person view when walking around. If I had to play that game in over-the-shoulder mode, I'm not sure that I would. More developers should provide gamers with choices like this, when possible, instead of forcing one view on everyone, IMO.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

The issue is it's a shooter and you'd have to create two different shooter/cover mechanics. GTA V's first person mode isn't nearly as satisfying as third person because the mechanics are meant for third person. For sword and shield type games, mechanics for first person are largely identical to third person, but even in TES, first person combat is more refined.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I believe that we're looking at a 2019 release here. They showed too much of it in that trailer for it to still be two years away. They're clearly very far along with it. Other developers targeting Spring 2019 for their games went ahead and announced that at this E3, so I'm guessing that CD Projekt isn't that confident of being done by then and a Fall 2019 release may be more realistic. Besides, they indicated that they put all of their resources into it after Blood & Wine was released, which was two years ago last month, so it has to be far along by now and they'll likely want to finish it soon so that they can move the team over to the next Witcher game. It wouldn't be safe to let this gamble on a new IP drag into 2020 while their tent pole franchise and money maker is waiting.

After hearing that CDPR had a 50 minute demo that blew people away, I might be revising my original prediction.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
More details emerge via IGN:
  • Gunplay is faster than Deus Ex but slower than Borderlands
  • Mantis arm blades melee weapon (seen in teaser image with the lady)
  • Wall Run traversal ability
  • Stealth mechanics exist, no specifics yet
  • IGN details a sequence where the player does a stealth takedown on an enemy and then jacks into the enemy to get a schematic layout of the base the player was infiltrating.
  • Branching dialogue options
  • Open world is limited by Street Cred - certain areas unaccessible without the right level of Street Cred
  • Clothing affects Street Cred
  • Main Stats: Strength Constitution Intelligence Reflexes Tech Cool
  • Side Quests can give you special upgrades and unique body parts unavailable elsewhere. Higher Street Cred gets you access to more side missions.
  • Upgrades to your character directly affect your UI and your gameplay.
  • Examples: Subdermal Grip increases V's gun damage and adds ammo counter to the UI, Optical upgrade allows V to Zoom in and Scan enemies/vehicles
  • Four different damage types: Physical, Thermal, EMP, Chemical
  • Scanning enemies can expose their weaknesses
  • Equipment and Chip slots exist. Chip slot example: Dog-Sized Robot Spider follows and fights for V
  • Drivable cars in huge sprawling city. City size still unknown. Driving freedom doesnt seem as open as it is in GTA V however.
  • Mobile fights - V leans out of the car to shoot assailants as AI companion drives
  • You can switch between third person and first person perspective WHILE DRIVING. First Person Perspective shows the Car's Dashboard UI
  • Buildings are TALL. V has to use elevators to go through the various floors.
  • Traditional RPG consumables are mentioned
  • De-escalating some situations via conversation is entirely possible
  • Casual conversation dialogue pops up as you're roaming around
  • Dialogue is more fluid than Witcher 3
  • First Person camera contributes to the liveliness of the city
  • "Mature Experience intended for Mature Audiences"
  • Nudity and Sexual Content confirmed.
  • "...Romancing" options confirmed.
  • Aside from Driving, cutscenes will also switch to third person perspective, upgrading V is also done in third person perspective.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As expected from the studio. I can't wait to see it in action.

I tend to like seeing my character but first-person is fine: they know what they are doing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We sat down at E3 to witness 50 minutes of stunning gameplay. Jaws dropped at the ultraviolence. Eyeballs sprang out on stalks. Ears burned at the spicy language. And afterwards we jabbered out mouths off in excitement at what we’d just witness. Holy. Guacamole. The wait has been justified. The hype tame in comparison to reality. Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be a game changer. Here’s everything we learned.

Cyberpunk 2077: Banging, C-bombs and bullet-time - everything we know from 50 minutes of gameplay - VG247

Digital Foundry
Cyberpunk 2077 is legit. I can’t even imagine this being current gen. Like holy shit. It’s like Deus Ex + Crysis + Witcher at a scale and level of detail that I’ve never seen. It’s the kind of game I’ve dreamt of for ages. That was one hell of an hour.

Complete recap of the demo:
Cyberpunk 2077 Is Not What You Think – Impressions And Details From 50 Minutes Of Gameplay

Before engaging with the corporation, V stands above them and scans the female leader, her bodyguards, and the vehicle they arrived in. CD Projekt says preparation is crucial for most missions. They are all much higher levels than her. V approaches them carefully, and decides to talk to them. What's interesting here is they've created a neuro-link with V and can determine if she's lying. They ask her things like if she's alone or not, and you have the choice in what you say. V says she's alone, and they believe she's lying. She is forced to the ground, and a gun is put to her head. V has the option to grab the firearm, but CD Projekt says you should really think something like this through. V instead uses dialogue choice to turn the threat around and have the corporate leader trust her. This entire scenario could play out differently or not at all.
CD Projekt says choices and consequences are bigger in this game than in any of their previous ones. V is handed a credit chip, and is allowed to leave. She and Jackie drive to another, and are currently engaging in a non-violent approach. They are going to hand over the chip for the stolen gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Money

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Waypoint talked about it for 50 minutes, they are hyped as hell. Really good talk about the world building and atmosphere.

Starts at 1:59ish: Waypoint @waypointvice

They think the demo is polished enough that we will see it publicly sometime soon.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
It's a FPS now? **** off.

So sick of first person games. What's the point of having that deep character creation like they were talking about?

Almost every game is third person. If you aren't happy, skip this game and play a third person game instead.

And if the game ends up failing financially as a result of being first person, people like you will ensure that we only get third person games in the future. So vote with your wallet and skip Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Pretty much no one hated it. Pretty much everyone loved it. I am seriously hyped. If they have 50 minutes of gameplay to show, I'm betting Fall 2019 for the release window then.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
nWXjXBwkr31-Wl3YcL5NwOrxSentxFC-Upll4AajadI.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad