CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They wanted a clean break from it. They didn't want to end up in court.
A shame really. Mureulo is likely being rewarded with a profit of several hundred million (maybe as much as $500 million?) from the sale of the franchise once we factor in his initial purchase ($300 million?), investment in Mullett Arena, and the annual losses for the years he owned the franchise.

Last edited:

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
A shame really. Mureulo is likely be rewarded with a profit of several hundred million (maybe as much as $500 million?) from the sale of the franchise once we factor in his initial purchase ($300 million?), investment in Mullett Arena, and the annua losses for the years he owned the franchise.
Minus capital gains taxes, the debts he had to assume on day one, and the rest of the red ink he had to soak up since... He might have made $200 million. No bad considering this franchise was a money black hole for the last twenty some years.

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You are literally saying because the man supports a team that received public finds he's a hypocrite for having a professional position that public funds are not good for sports teams.

You support a team that was/is partially owned by someone who beat his wife.
Not saying any of that. You’re playing the guilt by association game. Won’t work in this case.

Everyone thought he was bought out, until he’s seen on the air standing behind Shane Doan.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
Not saying any of that. You’re playing the guilt by association game. Won’t work in this case.

Everyone thought he was bought out, until he’s seen on the air standing behind Shane Doan.

So I guess JC Bradbury doesn't have to have guilt by association either about liking a team that took public funds while decrying cities and sports teams that do it either.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
I called it hypocritical.

But you do you.

hypocritical

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

adjective
  1. behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

Feel free to explain how enjoying a sports team that does X while also saying X isn't good is any different when "owner takes public funds to build their arena" is replaced with "owner beats his wife"

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
hypocritical

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

adjective
  1. behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

Feel free to explain how enjoying a sports team that does X while also saying X isn't good is any different when "owner takes public funds to build their arena" is replaced with "owner beats his wife"

No explanation required. It’s an opinion.

Go look that one up too.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
No explanation required. It’s an opinion.

Go look that one up too.
Eh, I like you Legend; but that's weak. "It's an opinion so therefore I don't have to explain it....but pardon me while I'm critical of others' opinions?" That doesn't wash.

That said, I get what you meant re: hypocrisy but your implication that it should diminish Bradbury's arguments is akin to saying "we shouldn't listen to the smoking doctor who tells us not to smoke." That doctor probably still relied on an honest assessment of medical research when giving that advice...even if they themselves didn't heed it in their personal life...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Eh, I like you Legend; but that's weak. "It's an opinion so therefore I don't have to explain it....but pardon me while I'm critical of others' opinions?" That doesn't wash.

That said, I get what you meant re: hypocrisy but your implication that it should diminish Bradbury's arguments is akin to saying "we shouldn't listen to the smoking doctor who tells us not to smoke." That doctor probably still relied on an honest assessment of medical research when giving that advice...even if they themselves didn't heed it in their personal life...

As i said… it’s hypocritical to a certain degree and there’s a little irony in it as well.

I feel economists like to cookie cutter things. While there are some solid basics behind their work, there are cases that do fall out of the realm and they won’t acknowledge it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.jpg

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
As i said… it’s hypocritical to a certain degree and there’s a little irony in it as well.

I feel economists like to cookie cutter things. While there are some solid basics behind their work, there are cases that do fall out of the realm and they won’t acknowledge it.
It's symptomatic of the wider world where we're generally fearful of nuanced argument. We treat things as absolutes because we approach the situation like lawyers that are afraid a single exception will cost us points with a mythical jury...

Also...not surprised Meruleo isn't there but on the other hand....it's kinda good he isn't. No need to pull focus from the team on this night of all nights. Let it be about showing love to the players, not spite to the owner.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Finally it's over, folks. It lasted so many years and posts afters posts. The greatest most epic story of the HF Boards.

Yet I feel like the Coyotes going to SLC came really freaking fast!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad