CXLVIII - NHL BOG approves sale and relocation of Coyotes to Ryan Smith, league announces establishment of franchise in Utah

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I get that, and I absolutely agree that conversations on the BoH should be more serious than conversations on the main board.
Really? I didn't retire to have serious conversations. I retired to become an old fart know-it-all. And so far I'm killing it.

If I wanted to be serious, I'd still be practising and billing for my serious conversations.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Really? I didn't retire to have serious conversations. I retired to become an old fart know-it-all. And so far I'm killing it.

If I wanted to be serious, I'd still be practising and billing for my serious conversations.

Somehow, the conversations here have always been more serious and more humorous at the same time. It's part of why I like it here so much.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
My full expectation is that he's going to take the money and run once he loses the land auction. Needless to say, I have a less than positive impression of him.
As an outsider and casual observer, I was just coming in here to ask/say this. Who is even to say Mereulo wants to deal with the headache and substantial fees of an expansion team an the process of building a new arena. Would not surprise me in the least if he throws his hands up and walks away getting what he wanted.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I think the franchise deactivation will actually be important if/when Meruelo drops out. What happens then? If the NHL still wants to eventually return to Phoenix, will it simply be reactivated but with a different owner? Will the league and new owner still need to buy certain assets back from Meruelo? Or will the Coyotes franchise go from deactivated to folded, with a new franchise and new owner brought up in its place?

I think the fact that they want to leave the ashes of a franchise in Phoenix is a good sign for the NHL's return to the city. But I wonder if it makes that eventual return more complicated legally, should things with AM play out how we are all expecting them too.

It could also very much be just an easy way for the league to not piss off fans while making a promise they very well know they will never meet.

I just came back here to say a few words for real Coyotes fans that port here with whom I had years of pleasure to debate with.

Next weeks and months, maybe even years will be hard but trust me, there is a lot of beautiful hockey besides the NHL. If you are a fan of the sport, I would gladly encourage you to check it out.

This league is very good to make promises but not to make them true. Don’t get your hopes up for the “5 years” plan they talk about.

Sincerely
A hockey fan from the cold north Quebec City

Jun 30, 2006
The Coyotes themselves are done in Arizona, forever.

Arizona might get another NHL team within a decade and very likely will within two decades. The chances of a successful team run by Alex Meruelo are slim to none, and unless those running the NHL are dumber than a rubber dildo they have put safeguards in that "right to first refusal" sale clause to give them an out if Meruelo wants in again. No person or business in Arizona should ever do business with Meruelo again.

Arizona *can* work as a NHL market and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. But it has to be done properly in order to work.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
As an outsider and casual observer, I was just coming in here to ask/say this. Who is even to say Mereulo wants to deal with the headache and substantial fees of an expansion team an the process of building a new arena. Would not surprise me in the least if he throws his hands up and walks away getting what he wanted.

So look - it's entirely possible.

But Meruelo has been at this for a number of years - both in trying to buy the Atlanta Hawks, and then with the Coyotes. I don't think he's done a good job at it but he doesn't appear to be in sports just to make a quick buck.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
My full expectation is that he's going to take the money and run once he loses the land auction. Needless to say, I have a less than positive impression of him.
What if he wins by default as no one else shows up to bid? Doesn't he have like 2 years to get infrastructure in place for said district and what happens to the land if he can't/doesn't meet those obligations outlined in the auction?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
So interesting almost-a-story - it was suggested on Twitter that because it's a "transfer of hockey operations", and not the franchise moving, that any Coyotes players with a no-move would be able to block their forced move to Utah.

Except of course nobody on the Yotes has a no-move clause. A few have modified no trades, but that's it

this has come up every time a team has relocated in every sport since the NMC was introduced and afaiui, it isn't really how any of it works

The roadrunners were there before the Coyotes.

not why would they support the Roadrunners in the abstract, why would they support the farm team of the franchise that was just ripped away from them

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
THERE HAS NEVER been a Phoenix based affiliate of the Coyotes..... it has been Tucson since they bought it in 2014.... LIKELY DUE TO the issues that Arizona had at Footprint, nor has there been any iteration of Phoenix wanting pro hockey
I could be wrong, but I think he's referring to two old incarnations of the Phoenix Roadrunners -- the WHA teams in the '70s and the IHL team in the late '80s and into the '90s.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
this has come up every time a team has relocated in every sport since the NMC was introduced and afaiui, it isn't really how any of it works

not why would they support the Roadrunners in the abstract, why would they support the farm team of the franchise that was just ripped away from them

Ripped away implies something sudden and shocking, not the slow decades long saga that happened.

Reactions: Fidel Astro

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
reminder as well

@Brodie....

there's no evidence that Tucson is going anywhere even as the Coyotes were transferred to Utah as has been all but approved.... that contract is in place since SEG Isn't buying both franchises which is why Tucson hasn't informed OVG, which operates TCC.... the understanding is the RR's MUST INFORM OVG to terminate the lease within 180 days... there's also KSL's report that said there will be hockey in Utah ie the ECHL Grizzlies @ Maverik Center in WVC independent of the Utah franchise playing @ Delta Center.... unless something changes in regards to that.... as the future of hockey @ Maverik was brought up.... it sounds like no change in status as of now... even if the plan to shift Tucson to Tempe happens or not....

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
my understanding on this is that the Roadrunners could split the season between TCC and an arena in the Phoenix area

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
my understanding on this is that the Roadrunners could split the season between TCC and an arena in the Phoenix area
again, from what I'm understanding the arena lease is the primary issue in any relocation in state from Tucson to Mullett, which is a piece of the transaction allowing the sale/reansfer to Utah of the existing Coyotes franchise..... at last check, it was year 8 of a 10 year lease.... if they break the lease early it's a 3 M payment to OVG....who operates TCC

Jun 30, 2006
THERE HAS NEVER been a Phoenix based affiliate of the Coyotes..... it has been Tucson since they bought it in 2014.... LIKELY DUE TO the issues that Arizona had at Footprint, nor has there been any iteration of Phoenix wanting pro hockey
I don’t think hockey fans in AZ care about affiliates. I would think most are snowbirds or retirees.

As a brand, the roadrunners have been there practically forever. I remember Gretzky & maybe his brother playing in an exhibition game under the roadrunners.

1713290631617.jpeg

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ripped away implies something sudden and shocking, not the slow decades long saga that happened.

Up until last week, it was "we're playing in Mullett next year" at the same time as negotiation for the deactivation process was going on behind the scenes. So even if it's taken us this long to get to this point, it still makes sense that the team feels like it's being ripped away.

Reactions: tucker3434

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I read a piece of a report a few days ago that said any players that don't want to play, or live, in Utah will be accommodated through trades, etc. Figure Smith doesn't want disgruntled players half-assing it on the ice, so, he'll do what he can to make it easier.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I read a piece of a report a few days ago that said any players that don't want to play, or live, in Utah will be accommodated through trades, etc. Figure Smith doesn't want disgruntled players half-assing it on the ice, so, he'll do what he can to make it easier.

That would make total sense to me. He'll try to sell them on staying, but is going to try to be reasonable about it. Good PR.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Fidel Astro

Aug 26, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
www.witchpolice.com
Maybe I missed something, but what's the issue with living in Utah? I'm assuming it's mainly just the more veteran players whose families/lives are all set up in AZ and are pissed about leaving (to anywhere)...?

...or is there something about Utah in particular that is less than desirable?

I admit I know absolutely nothing about the place aside from the usual Mormon jokes.

Reactions: Puckrobber

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Maybe I missed something, but what's the issue with living in Utah? I'm assuming it's mainly just the more veteran players whose families/lives are all set up in AZ and are pissed about leaving (to anywhere)...?

...or is there something about Utah in particular that is less than desirable?

I admit I know absolutely nothing about the place aside from the usual Mormon jokes.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. I've been to, and stayed in, parts of Utah. It's a lovely place, and the people are great. Sure, maybe SLC doesn't have the same wild nightlife as L.A., NYC or Las Vegas. But for the veteran players with families, or ones who enjoy a quieter lifestyle, won't be disappointed with it.

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad