CXLIII - UPDATED 6/3 - Coyotes arena deal takes next step after Tempe council votes to open negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
Hockey will work in Arizona with a contending team.

No mention of Canadian cities not selling out though. Toronto couldn't sellout a Saturday night game against Ottawa. Season tickets aren't sold out in any of the prairie/west cities.

Economy/inflation is killing it all right now. Not too many people have a spare $1000 to take a family of four to a hockey game. It's a world problem, but in Canada we have some of the highest tax rates as is, so add in cost of living going up, etc etc. I don't doubt it will get worse for most teams this season and next season.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Economy/inflation is killing it all right now. Not too many people have a spare $1000 to take a family of four to a hockey game. It's a world problem, but in Canada we have some of the highest tax rates as is, so add in cost of living going up, etc etc. I don't doubt it will get worse for most teams this season and next season.
Correct.

But that excuse is never offered to Coyotes.

Reactions: Knights2017

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
But Canada is Canada and sells out every single game because of the love of the game.

That's what we've been hearing for 20+ years

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Season tickets aren't sold out in any of the Canadian western cities? I am not disputing that some of their games didn't sell out, but a team can not sell out their building but still sell out their season tickets you know.

I don't know if all 4 of the western teams have released info saying they didn't sell out all their season tickets.

Reactions: Stumbledore

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Correct.

Tickets are $240-$600 each in any Canadian market except Ottawa.... maybe the odd nosebleed at $180.

Americans with the same job/pay in many places live a 3-4X better life due to lower costs of everything and no income tax in many places. Way lower housing costs, half priced fuel, food, booze, etc.. just way more disposable income on the same paycheques. Then you can go to non-hockey market game for easily $60-150 bucks.

It's not remotely comparable

Hence why it's cheaper for someone who lives in a non NHL market to fly and stay in Phoenix, Vegas, Florida, California for a weekend then it is to drive/stay/eat/booze in Calgary/Toronto/Van/MTL/Edmonton etc..

It's less money, even with the exchange rate.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Tickets are $240-$600 each in any Canadian market except Ottawa.... maybe the odd nosebleed at $180.

Americans with the same job/pay in many places live a 3-4X better life due to lower costs of everything and no income tax in many places. Way lower housing costs, half priced fuel, food, booze, etc.. just way more disposable income on the same paycheques. Then you can go to non-hockey market game for easily $60-150 bucks.

Hence why it's cheaper for someone who lives in a non NHL market to fly and stay in Phoenix, Vegas, Florida, California for a weekend then it is to drive/stay/eat/booze in Calgary/Toronto/Van/MTL/Edmonton etc..

Arizona has an income tax.......

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
But Canada is Canada and sells out every single game because of the love of the game.

That's what we've been hearing for 20+ years

20 years ago, 10 years ago, maybe this was the case. But hockey is quickly becoming less and less popular in Canada. Minor hockey is no longer affordable for many families, thus they turn to different sports. Without growing up with the love and interest in the game, people aren't willing to pay it.

The landscape has changed in Canada....in my opinion, we are no longer a hockey country and this will continue to change as costs rise.

Also our hockey broadcasts have made the sport nearly impossible to enjoy.

Correct.

Oh I know for a fact its an issue there, I was in Phoenix in 2014 and saw how bad the economy was then and even went to a game. So many horrible decisions were made by different ownership groups with that organization.

If the Tempe thing can be done, and the team can win/make playoffs around that time, I see the Coyotes being successful there.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You need to get your hearing checked. Nobody has ever said that, much less for 20 years.
Don’t need a hearing check….when it came to the Coyotes I’ve read it. (MakeItSeven ring a bell? Or MakeItEightEh?)

And still see it on occasion out on social media. Primarily from people living in a certain French speaking province.

Right now I’m curious as to what the reaction is going to be come October 29th the day after the home opener at Mullett. That game is going to best broadcast nationally on TNT and we’ve already been prepped with narratives about the size of the arena.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Just a quibble, but while there are some states that have no *state* income tax, there's still a federal income tax that applies everywhere and it's 3x or more what the state tax rates are, if a state has one.

Reactions: Llama19

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Don’t need a hearing check….when it came to the Coyotes I’ve read it. (MakeItSeven ring a bell? Or MakeItEightEh?)

And still see it on occasion out on social media. Primarily from people living in a certain French speaking province.
You may not need a hearing check, but perhaps something related to reading comprehension?

My post makes no reference to the Coyotoes. My post makes no reference to Balsillie. So why do you? My post challenges the claim that someone has heard "for 20+ years" that Canadian NHL teams always sell out. What does that have to do with your reading things about the Coyotes or Balsillie's misguided campaign?

Obviously, if there was a reliable source to the absurd claim that NHL hockey always sells out in Canada, you would have cited it. Instead, you make a laughable reference to social media.

I've come to expect better from The Legend.

Reactions: Lions67 and Llama19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad