CWHL to discontinue operations May 1, 2019

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I called this two years ago. Trying to compete with the NWHL by paying players was finnancial suicide.

It's not all doom and gloom. I fully expect the Les Cannadiennes de Montreal, Calgary Inferno, and Toronto Furies to announce memberships into the NWHL and full financial partnerships with their city's NHL counterparts.

What that means for the Worcester Blades is uncertain. I'm pretty sure the NWHL would welcome them as long as the Railers owner is willing to keep the team afloat. I also don't think the Boston Pride or Connecticut Whale would mind having a regional rival close by to cut travel costs.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Damn. This just seems like it came out of no where. I suppose NWHL can’t afford to absorb all of their teams.

They could probably get Montreal and Toronto into the mix. Of course, this would mean they'd finally have teams qualify for the playoffs, meaning the Connecticut Whale won't have a chance of making the postseason ever again.

I think the CWHL's biggest mistake was their Chinese foray.

Reactions: mk80

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
What that means for the Worcester Blades is uncertain. I'm pretty sure the NWHL would welcome them as long as the Railers owner is willing to keep the team afloat. I also don't think the Boston Pride or Connecticut Whale would mind having a regional rival close by to cut travel costs.

It's a long shot at best that Cliff Rucker gets involved.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Having a team in China certainly didn't help the financial expenses. I'm sure whether or not directly some of these cities will eventually receive NWHL franchises. It's an unfortunate situation for all the players, some of whom I know personally.

Reactions: JMCx4

HungryFrank

Jun 20, 2015
Wouldn't it be better if they joined in a "big" NWHL?
Getting all the best players in one league and getting NHL involved could be the best thing for female hockey. Exposing the league on NHL.com would do massive things for it. Travel expenses won't change that much.

Maybe I'm missing something, but upside seems to be really high

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The only way a women's league is going to work is with regionalization in locales with lots of young female hockey players. For example: Four teams in New England, four in the GTA, and four in Minnesota. They only play teams in their region during the regular season, thus cutting down the travel expenses to a bus and meal money. Best of three playoff series or a playoff tournament at a single location.

Both the NWHL and CWHL had noble goals, but they were in way above their heads business-wise.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Having a team in China certainly didn't help the financial expenses. I'm sure whether or not directly some of these cities will eventually receive NWHL franchises. It's an unfortunate situation for all the players, some of whom I know personally.
I never cared enough to ask, but I just assumed the Chinese Ice Hockey Association was paying for everything.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
KRS was independently owned and operated, yes.

I don't think they're going to give up and likely will join KRS' other entries in Russian leagues. They care too much about 2022.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Seems as though things are moving pretty quickly. Sportsnet is reporting that the NWHL has already approved expansion into Toronto and Montreal for next season, and will try to connect those franchises with their predecessors' respective stakeholders. They're further reporting that Bettman already met with NWHL officials, and the NHL is now helping to finance. the NWHL.

Sportsnet: NWHL expects to expand to Toronto, Montreal for 2019-20 season - Sportsnet.ca

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I called this two years ago. Trying to compete with the NWHL by paying players was finnancial suicide.

It's not all doom and gloom. I fully expect the Les Cannadiennes de Montreal, Calgary Inferno, and Toronto Furies to announce memberships into the NWHL and full financial partnerships with their city's NHL counterparts.

Looks like at least Toronto and Montreal will be joining the NWHL.

ESPN’s Emily Kaplan is reporting that Dani Rylan met with Gary Bettman yesterday, and that the NHL agreed to “significantly up” its contribution to the NWHL. The NWHL expects to have teams in Toronto and Montreal next season.

Very encouraging given the devastating news from up north. Nothing stated on the Calgary team, going to assume the travel costs were too prohibitive. According to hockeydb, Calgary drew 460/game (CWHL 2018-19 team attendance at hockeydb.com). Think the league can only afford those flights if the markets a no-brainer, like Minnesota was who sold out every game at 1,200 people.

Assuming Markham just isn't an attractive market. Interested to see if the NWHL would absorb the Blades...certainly enough female-talent in the Boston area to support two competitive teams.

Side-note: is there a better resource for CWHL attendance? Only saw the hockeydb link above, and this (Canadian Womens Hockey League - on Pointstreak Sports Technologies)...which doesn't seem accurate given the drastic difference in Montreal's numbers.

KRS was independently owned and operated, yes.

I don't think they're going to give up and likely will join KRS' other entries in Russian leagues. They care too much about 2022.

Do you know how the overall arrangement worked? Did they pay for the other teams to travel to their games? Kind of assumed so as the league couldn't afford it otherwise.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Side-note: is there a better resource for CWHL attendance? Only saw the hockeydb link above, and this (Canadian Womens Hockey League - on Pointstreak Sports Technologies)...which doesn't seem accurate given the drastic difference in Montreal's numbers.

Let's just say that stat keeping was not the CWHL's strong suit...this is from their last regular season daily sheet:
cwhl-attend.jpg

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Having Toronto and Montreal join the NWHL is a great starting point. It allows for the NWHL to grow and enter into some great markets for the league within their current footprint, also having the NHL 100k investment will do wonders. NWHL teams already have existing partnerships with their NHL counterparts Riveters work closely with the Devils, Bruins work with the Pride, Buffalo O & O by the Pegulas, and I believe the Whitecaps work with the Wild and play in their practice facility so overall the league is on some better footing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad