Cuthbert goes to TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
A most excellent move for TSN. My question is will they replace Gord Miller with Cuthbert as the primary play by play man. No offense to Mr. Miller, but Cutherbert is a better play by play man, and I hope he assumes the #1 spot. Also to note is that TSN will use Cuthbert as its primary CFL play by play man.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
TSN's hockey broadcasting team just keeps getting better. HNIC looks to be going down the toilet. If it wasn't for Ron Maclean running the show (and even that barely happened), HNIC would be a distant second in hockey broadcasts to TSN.... which just isn't right.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
YES!! This is amazing news... This could spell the end for Miller and his monotone voice.

Nothing against him though, like everyone says, he is a smart guy when it comes to hockey. Just does not have the voice for it.

McGuire is just a MONSTER.

I <3 CUTHBERT

Ya I said it! So what?

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I don't think Miller is in any danger of losing his job there. He and McGuire still do an outstanding job with the WJC and the Draft. Cuthbert is the best play by play guy in the business and it was only a matter of time before someone picked him up.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
People watching TSN get two really good hockey play by play people to listen to. Pity they still have Healy around, though.

People watching HNiC are saddled with a Leafs fanboy long since past his prime and a colorman in Neale that is even more of an irrelevent dinosaur than Don Cherry.

No doubt which one's quality is superior there.

Philoushka

Apr 27, 2005
Cuthbert on TSN will likely have me watching more TSN hockey games. That being said, I think BOTH networks have some seriously bad commentators on their roster. The biggest culprit would have to be Greg Millen, followed by Pierre McGuire. Both go on RANTS about broken sticks, goalies being allowed to play the puck etc.

Millen is by far the worst though: "You can just see the puck outside of the edge of your screen... THERE.... just outside the frame!"

But signing Cuthbert is a great idea, will add a lot of familiarity to the TSN broadcast of the CFL as well. If CBC didn't shoot themselves in the foot by firing him, I'd call it a coup by TSN.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Is it only me, or does everyone else get annoyed when Miller says "Scores"?

They might as well tell him not to waste his breath when someone scores, and just play a recording.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Scugs said:
Is it only me, or does everyone else get annoyed when Miller says "Scores"?
Any get annoyed when McGuire opens his mouth and raises his tone?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I am glad for Cuthbert.

Now I get Mark Lee 24/7 on CFL on CBC. That is going to suck.
Mark Lee and Don Wittman on Edmonton late games on CBC? That will suck more.

TSN's CFL broadcast teams have been tight for many years. Wells still does a good job, IMO.

I guess this will prob mean Cuthbert with Healy on one crew and Miller and McGuire on the other crew.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Trizent said:
I guess this will prob mean Cuthbert with Healy on one crew and Miller and McGuire on the other crew.

:shudder:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
How does TSN get all the good play by play people and then combine them with all the worst colormen?

Underrated duo: Thorne and Clement. Thorne does a great job with good games and Clement doesn't annoy me like too many color guys do. As a pair, they are better than anyone HNiC has.

I still think the worst pair is Cole and Neale though. Cole talks as though everything in the game happens because a Leaf willed it so, for example every time two players collide its a thundering bodycheck from the Leaf! Neale hasn't had a relevent thing to say in at least a decade. He seems determined to make the game as boring as it could possibly be.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
Crazy_Ike said:
I still think the worst pair is Cole and Neale though. Cole talks as though everything in the game happens because a Leaf willed it so, for example every time two players collide its a thundering bodycheck from the Leaf! Neale hasn't had a relevent thing to say in at least a decade. He seems determined to make the game as boring as it could possibly be.
Cole should be calling games on the radio. That way the viewer wouldn't be able to tell how far his play-by-play diverges from what's actually happening. It's embarrassing that they haven't cut ties with them, but fired Cuthbert.

TSN is doing a great job with their coverage. I like Miller and McGuire, personally, and Cuthbert rounds things out nicely. All the better if they can keep Burke around for awhile, since for all his bluster he's extremely knowledgeable and connected (same reason I like McGuire). Drop the Two Minutes for Instigating bit so I never have to watch Healy and Cox again, and we're all set.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
CBC must be paving the way to get out of the sports business. What actual talent is left ? Fans are subjective about their broadcasters. As many fans get annoyed by McGuire, some tune in just to hear him. TSN on football and hockey is locking up all the available 'talent'. Who on CBC would get a job as quickly as Cuthbert ? The well seems empty.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
mcphee said:
CBC must be paving the way to get out of the sports business. What actual talent is left ? Fans are subjective about their broadcasters. As many fans get annoyed by McGuire, some tune in just to hear him. TSN on football and hockey is locking up all the available 'talent'. Who on CBC would get a job as quickly as Cuthbert ? The well seems empty.
I like Hrudey as a host. He doesn't have the most insightful commentary, but he's genuine and enthusiastic, and that goes a long way. John Davidson is great, too, but he's not really a regular.

That's about it. I pretty much hate Maclean, Cherry, Cole, Neale, Oake... the Hotstove is about the only thing worth watching anymore.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Hrudey is definately the best one left on HNiC.

I do like Russell as host, too. I heard he was right pissed off at CBC for dumping Cuthbert and let them have it at the next meeting (Maclean did too).

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
In the globe and mail today, William Huston suggested that CTV/TSN were going to make a run at HNIC when the current contract expires. CBC no longer has any credible play by play men, and certainly nobody to replace Cole (which has to happen at some point). We may be seeing the end of HNIC on CBC.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
I think Mark Lee will be promoted to do more HNIC calls for the CBC. He's a good CFL broadcaster, though very Pro-Argos. He's done a few playoff gigs for HNIC, including the Ottawa-Philly series a few years back. Thought he did pretty well.

No Cuthbert, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->