News: Curtis McElhinney Leaving CAR - "Definitely Going Somewhere Else"

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Per Don Waddell at today's Summerfest

Canes general manager Don Waddell, addressing Canes fans Saturday at the Summerfest Celebration at PNC Arena, said McElhnney is “definitely going somewhere else.”

McElhinney and Mrazek both are due to become unrestricted free agents on Monday, when NHL free agency begins. Waddell had said his goal was to re-sign both to new contracts and keep the goaltending tandem intact, but McElhinney apparently has been swayed to sign with another team.

Waddell said talks continue with Mrazek “daily, hourly” as the Canes continue to secure a No. 1 goalie for next season. The Canes and Alex Nedeljkovic, the AHL goalie of the year in 2018-19 with the Charlotte Checkers, agreed on a new two-year pact Friday and Carolina recently worked a trade with the Chicago Blackhawks for backup goalie Anton Forsberg.

Goalie Curtis McElhinney leaving Canes, GM Don Waddell says

It's a shame to see Curtis leave, but given where he is in his career, I could definitely see him wanting to capitalize on last season to get potentially his last big payday.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
At the very least he demonstrated he can pull his weight in a 1A/1B situation which is what he was in here last season. Brindy ran with the hot hand and Curtis did well for himself. My only concern would be little nagging injuries cropping up over the course of the season.

He was lights out with Toronto as well. He's proven he is a quality back up who can fill in if your starter goes down. I would welcome him back in TO but understand if he has no interest.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
At the very least he demonstrated he can pull his weight in a 1A/1B situation which is what he was in here last season. Brindy ran with the hot hand and Curtis did well for himself. My only concern would be little nagging injuries cropping up over the course of the season.

At 35 year old he played the most games he ever played in a single NHL season with 33 . Nobody is signing McElhinney to be a starter. Even the 1A/1B situation seems sketchy to me with him. I mean if McElhinney is a 1a/1b then Khudobin is a starting goaltender and both is just not true imho.

McElhinney is a very good backup who you can play without worries and thats good.

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

...and as a career journeyman back-up goaltender, at age 36, you said starter.

If your only concern is nagging injuries...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Would love him as backup for Price (Kinkaid also looking like an option) but I know he will want to cash in after a solid season. Habs looking for a fair contract with reliable performance over 25-30 games. Ideally Price shouldn't have to play over 55 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->