Speculation: current Trade Value: Despres or Niskanen

SteelFish87*

i like Niskanen but think Despres is a blue-chip prospect. i would choose Despres

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Equal.

Despres has the greater upside but is totally unproven. Niskanen is currently better and more reliable at the NHL level. I think those factors even things out.

Fire Shero*

I think, like most pens prospects, fans wildly overrate Despres. He used to be untouchable like Malkin and Sid. Now people would likely trade him for Setoguchi. I still think Despres has a tiny bit more value, but it's a toss up. Tough call really.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Niskanen by a fairly wide margin because he is the more proven player (and let's not forget) pretty highly touted himself when he came into the league / before he had that really bad sophomore year in Dallas. Dallas basically gave up on him too early or didn't have the coaching to bring him back to life.

Niskanen on the top of his game, is arguably better than Goligoski. That's what's so great about that deal. It was a zero risk thing for us and it paid off huge.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd like to add that while I think that Niskanen has more pure value just based on skills and age (he's not old), I remember hearing on Hot Stove on Hockey Night the other night that there's a shortage of right handed defensemen league-wide, so that's another artificial booster.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
Niskanen by a fairly wide margin because he is the more proven player (and let's not forget) pretty highly touted himself when he came into the league / before he had that really bad sophomore year in Dallas. Dallas basically gave up on him too early or didn't have the coaching to bring him back to life.

sounds familiar...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have no clue how anyone can say Despres. It is typical HF boards mentality. Prospects >>>>>> established players. Sure you hope that someday Despres exceeds what Niskanen does, but it is far from a sure thing. Niskanen can step in right now and a GM knows what he's got, and at his age he still has upside. In the real world that GM's live in Niskanen will get you more 100 times out of 100.

SteelFish87*

thanks for the input guys. i must be that typical dummy that overrates sexy prospects lol

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
I have no clue how anyone can say Despres. It is typical HF boards mentality. Prospects >>>>>> established players. Sure you hope that someday Despres exceeds what Niskanen does, but it is far from a sure thing. Niskanen can step in right now and a GM knows what he's got, and at his age he still has upside. In the real world that GM's live in Niskanen will get you more 100 times out of 100.

It may well be more the undervaluing of Niskanen in this case than the standard overvaluing of prospects. It`s just this lingering memory of just how little all those Dallas fans, who insisted he had negative value in the deal, thought of him. The way most posters around the main board have thought about Niskanen for the last two years, Despres would have to be absolutely nothing special to be worth more. I guess what I am saying is, I doubt there is some huge overvaluing of Despres going on, but not everyone has caught up with Niskanen recovering.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Niskanen is someone we'd miss greatly. I'd want a 1st or a top 6 player for him.

Despres is more expendable. More likely a 2nd + prospect or top 9 and 4th.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Depends.

Win now - Niskanen

Win later - Despres

Depends which team TBH...

Philly would want Nisky, SJ might want Despres...

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Niskanen. He was just as highly regarded (if not more so) than Despres when he was a prospect. And aside from one down year in Dallas, has actually lived up to it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think, like most pens prospects, fans wildly overrate Despres. He used to be untouchable like Malkin and Sid. Now people would likely trade him for Setoguchi. I still think Despres has a tiny bit more value, but it's a toss up. Tough call really.

Totally agree. I'm going with him because I think teams will be fooled by his size and mobility.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
sounds familiar...

You're not suggesting I'm giving up on Elmer because (in the other thread) I don't consider him to be worth "considerably more" than a 2013 1st round pick, are you? Elmer is the man; I'm excited to see him play more. I just don't think (today) he's more valuable than Niskanen is. That could easily change in six months or a year if Elmer gets back into the line up and kicks some ass.

Despres for the simple reason that one team may really believe that he has a huge upside as compared to Niskanen.

...and then again they may not. Or all 30 teams may think Niskanen is the next Letang. OR all 30 may think they both suck. Or....

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
You're not suggesting I'm giving up on Elmer because (in the other thread) I don't consider him to be worth "considerably more" than a 2013 1st round pick, are you? Elmer is the man; I'm excited to see him play more. I just don't think (today) he's more valuable than Niskanen is. That could easily change in six months or a year if Elmer gets back into the line up and kicks some ass.

Nah not you, but I've seen other people suggesting he'll develop into no more than a bottom pairing #5-7 D-man and we should move him now while he still has value. Crazy talk.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yah I don't know why with less than 30 NHL games anyone would presume to know he tops out as a #5. Seems overly negative considering he's had some pretty nice games including during the run up to the playoffs last year, etc. That said equally crazy to assume he's likely to be a top pairing guy, under the circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->