Pre-Game Talk: Current Road Trip

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
I know this trip is only 3 games but all the games are against teams that are just ahead of us in the standings: Dallas (1 point ahead), Preds (2 points ahead) & Columbus (2 points ahead). I know it seems cliche to say these games matter the most especially in a shorten season but if the Flames were to pull out 3 wins here (or 3 losses) I think it would really cement there place as a playoff contender or deadline seller. With there current road form, 6 straight losses, they really have to pick it up and I know the likely outcome of this trip will likely be some record along the lines of 1 - 1 - 1 for 3 of a possible 6 points but I almost wish they either swept the 3 games or lost them all so we had a better understanding of where this team stands. It also doesn't help that after this trip the Flames play the Blue and then the Blackhawks. Next 5 games are huge!

So what do you guys predict for this road trip? It can't be as bad as the last one can it?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It won't be an easy stretch, that's for sure. Dallas is probably looking for revenge after a)being beaten by the Flames twice already and b)getting stomped 8-1 by the Hawks. Nashville is coming off a brutal road trip and will probably want to come out strong in front of the home crowd. Columbus is red hot lately.

It's gonna take some mettle to be above .500 on this trip. IMO it could go 1-2 or 2-1 very easily. If it goes 0-3 then I think there are some serious questions that need to be asked.

TylerSVT*

We can win if Bachman starts...

But seriously, they either need to win all 3, or lose all 3. I want a clear cut answer by the deadline.

Gary83*

Flames probably win all three. The following will have a huge outcome on our games:

1.) Does Bachman start?
2.) Does defensive dynamo Joe Piskula draw in for the Preds?

:handclap:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Don't want to be dramatic but these 3 games decide our fate, if we go 3-0 we will most likely be in a playoff position and have space between us and the chase group if we go 0-3 we will far so far back of the chase group we most likely won't make it up. We most likely go 1-1-1 and leave the hope we still have a shot until just after the deadline.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Don't want to be dramatic but these 3 games decide our fate, if we go 3-0 we will most likely be in a playoff position and have space between us and the chase group if we go 0-3 we will far so far back of the chase group we most likely won't make it up. We most likely go 1-1-1 and leave the hope we still have a shot until just after the deadline.

This is the worst possible scenario. If we are sitting 9,10,11,12 at the deadline and are only "2 points out!" the team will not sell, and its going to have dire consequences in the offseason.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This is the worst possible scenario. If we are sitting 9,10,11,12 at the deadline and are only "2 points out!" the team will not sell, and its going to have dire consequences in the offseason.

Yea I agree, I am hoping they can pull their **** together and get going on a bit of a winning streak because this .500 hockey is pretty brutal as a fan.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Could be a pretty crucial road trip. Per TSN's latest on the trade deadline:

Randy Sportak of the Calgary Sun says that the Jarome Iginla trade rumours will continue to grow louder and louder as the trade deadline approaches. He says that it doesn't appear that the team will make any moves within the next week as they leave Calgary for a crucial road trip.

Sportak suggests that the rumours surrounding Iginla, and some of the team's other talked about trade targets like Miikka Kiprusoff and Jay Bouwmeester, may turn into something more substantial should the Flames lose more than a couple of their upcoming games though.

Trae

Calgary
We'll go 0-3 or 1-2 and then kick the **** out of Chicago and St.Louis and ultimately Feaster will not do anything at the deadline and we will miss the playoffs, get 10th-12th pick.

:sarcasm: ......

..... :cry:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Honestly, I think we should be able to beat Dallas tonight, and have a good go with Nashville. The one team that actually scares me on this road trip is Columbus. I think a 2-1 record out of this trip is possible, but given how terrible we are on the road, I won't be expecting anything better than three points out of a possible six.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We suck on the road, at home we are on pace to have 58 points in 48 games(projected cut off is 54/55) on the road we have a pace of 35 points in 48 games just brutal.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
3-0 on this trip is not out of the question. The flames have always been my second team, and I kind of want them to go 0-3, sell at the deadline (but not everyone) and get a high pick.
I do not think the flames need to go full rebuild but maybe look at what Ottawa has done to retool things.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Next three are crucial for a po spot given the teams we play. Very exciting times right now, can't wait for tonight!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
All of these 1-1-1 scenarios is giving the Flames organization too much credit. We could go 0-3 and still be delusional about being a playoff team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sounds like Backlund is good to go tonight, took the optional skate and was apparently begging Hartley to let him play. Nice seeing him want to play.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Sounds like Backlund is good to go tonight, took the optional skate and was apparently begging Hartley to let him play. Nice seeing him want to play.
I like Mikael Backlund more and more every day. I can see him with an A in the near future if we end up dealing veterans.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

That's pretty good to hear. He's had some bad luck with injuries but you can't question his desire to make an impact and get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->