Prospect Info: Current potential of Ryan Murray

acfurino

May 4, 2010
Hey jackets fans,

Im mulling over a trade for Ryan Murray in my fantasy hockey keeper league right now and im hoping u guys can help me... What can/should i expect from Murray? Whats his offensive potential? How long will it take for him to reach that potential? Etc. Also curious to know if he has gone on record stating who he models his game after...

Ur help will b greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Hey jackets fans,

Im mulling over a trade for Ryan Murray in my fantasy hockey keeper league right now and im hoping u guys can help me... What can/should i expect from Murray? Whats his offensive potential? How long will it take for him to reach that potential? Etc. Also curious to know if he has gone on record stating who he models his game after...

Ur help will b greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Don't think Murray is your classic "stats" guy. He's projected to be a 40+/- pt guy who plays a ton of minutes. There is no guarantee he'll be on the CBJ next season (coming off injury and with the CBJ current depth chart he has some work cut out for him.). Obviously we have no idea how long it will take him to reach his potential but he was billed as the "most NHL ready" player in the draft last year. I would imagine he'll be playing in Columbus sooner than later but real impact may not be for a couple/few years.

Love the kid but not sure he's a "fantasy" player. Maybe +/-

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Don't think Murray is your classic "stats" guy. He's projected to be a 40+/- pt guy who plays a ton of minutes. There is no guarantee he'll be on the CBJ next season (coming off injury and with the CBJ current depth chart he has some work cut out for him.). Obviously we have no idea how long it will take him to reach his potential but he was billed as the "most NHL ready" player in the draft last year. I would imagine he'll be playing in Columbus sooner than later but real impact may not be for a couple/few years.

Love the kid but not sure he's a "fantasy" player. Maybe +/-

Everyone I read or listen to just rave about this kid so I'm not sure where you get the idea he may not be in Columbus next year. To me the untouchables are Johansen, BOB, Murray and Horton. Everyone else can be had for the right price.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Everyone I read or listen to just rave about this kid so I'm not sure where you get the idea he may not be in Columbus next year. To me the untouchables are Johansen, BOB, Murray and Horton. Everyone else can be had for the right price.

Because this is a thread from last June.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
So now what do u guys think?

I still think is shorter term is the same. A 22 minute guy possibly in the 30-40 point range.

He is however showing signs his offensive game could really blossom in time. He has great vision and the ability to make passes many could not execute. He has an accurate shot with a pretty quick release. I don't think he has the slapper to be a PP triggerman, but he looks like he can be a good PPQB as well.

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
Future (as in 5 years from now). TWD 25+ min a night player. I bet he could munch minutes with the best of them.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I still think is shorter term is the same. A 24-26 minute guy possibly in the 30-40 point range.

He is however showing signs his offensive game could really blossom in time. He has great vision and the ability to make passes many could not execute. He has an accurate shot with a pretty quick release. I don't think he has the slapper to be a PP triggerman, but he looks like he can be a good PPQB as well.
Fixed. He and JJ will be minute monsters next year. People are still underrating the kid. Its not going to take him 3-5 years to reach his man potential. By the end of next year kid will be a bona fide #1dmen across the league.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
As of today... Beyond his years but still learning NHL defense, quiet kid, disciplined not too flashy but does his job...

Top pairing defenseman (#1) with scoring upside in the future...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Top pairing defender who plays on the top pair PK and second pair PP.

I feel Murray will be one of the best defenseman in the NHL. Maybe not in points, but just by how solid he is. His vision and decision making at 19 is unreal. He's got nerves of steal, and won't back down or get small in the big moment. I was against drafting Murray and didn't think he would be much more than a 2nd pairing defenseman, I was very wrong.

Ryan Suter

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My favorite thing about Murray is the quasi-Lidstrom skill he has with his stick. You can't deke him and its not even easy to chip it past him because he can bat it down. He's already one of our most reliable players defensively, with just a couple mistakes here and there (the Schenn goal most recently). His offence going forward could be a lot higher than the 40 or so we've been talking about. His passing is good-great and in years where we are a higher scoring team he should hit 40 assists easily. His shot could also improve with age, they often get heavier as kids get stronger.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Who I believe Murray has been quoted as saying was his idol and who he modeled his game after.

Indeed.

As the guy who boasted about Murray a ton - before and after we drafted him - I can honestly say that I never expected him to make such a major impact so soon. I figured he would be good enough to play in the top-4, maybe as early as this year; but part of that simply comes from our need for a defenseman. I didn't expect him to do it so quickly, and really become one of the top guys on the team at just 20 years old. The sky is the limit for Murray ... he could be one of the top defensemen in the game, for a very long time.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Indeed.

As the guy who boasted about Murray a ton - before and after we drafted him - I can honestly say that I never expected him to make such a major impact so soon. I figured he would be good enough to play in the top-4, maybe as early as this year; but part of that simply comes from our need for a defenseman. I didn't expect him to do it so quickly, and really become one of the top guys on the team at just 20 years old. The sky is the limit for Murray ... he could be one of the top defensemen in the game, for a very long time.

I may as well pile in, I was heavy for Murray too... I think it was Forsberg (I may be wrong about that) who many here wanted and I had to respond too...

I will be honest, when Murray hurt the shoulder I was worried, but as Brassard did Murray came back fine.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was shocked Howson drafted Johansen... I can't recall who I wanted but it wasn't him... :wink:

Yeah me too. I hated it. I thought it spelled the end of Brassard and I wanted one of the defenseman.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Ryan Murray is just smooth..

smooth skating, smooth passing, pushes everything outside, smooth at joining the rush, quick to jump in and go to offense. I don't know hockey like a lot of you, but this guy is visibly calm with the puck, and "smooth".

Check out the outlet pass to Horton on the goal against the Kings.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I admit that I was very firmly in favor of drafting Fowler instead. Very. Neither choice will end up being poor, both are going to be great.

You jogged my memory, I was 100% Fowler too.... Howson could not have lost on either but as the dice have rolled in Columbus (Murray has jumped several years of development) I'm glad we have Joey...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->