Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

• Total voters

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's definitely prime Iggy. And for anyone saying Ovi since "Conn Smythe and Cup", ask yourself whether the 2004 Flames without Iggy look better than the 2018 Caps without Ovi and remember that Iginla was a Game 6 goal away from winning that Conn Smyth and Cup. He was at worst a Top 3 player in the league before the lockout. Is Ovi a Top 3 player right now? Maybe, but not for sure.
This makes zero sense.....

You think the Caps are cup champs without Ovechkin? Who won MVP? That’s odd. Sure, Iggy was “almost” a goal away from winning, BUT HE DIDNT. Ovi did. Stop basing your argument out of imaginary scenarios. That didn’t happen, get over it.

Iggy didn’t win a cup, he didn’t win a Smythe.....why is that being hidden behind this idea that he “could have” or “almost” did, and that idea is somehow more real than what actually happened.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016

You think the Caps are cup champs without Ovechkin? Who won MVP? That’s odd. Sure, Iggy was “almost” a goal away from winning, BUT HE DIDNT. Ovi did. Stop basing your argument out of imaginary scenarios. That didn’t happen, get over it.

Iggy didn’t win a cup, he didn’t win a Smythe.....why is that being hidden behind this idea that he “could have” or “almost” did, and that idea is somehow more real than what actually happened.

This is pushing it. Ovechkin has had a million chances to do something in the playoffs, Iginla was quite a bit less fortunate in that regard. Hard to draw definitive conclusions based on one series, game, or sequence of a game.

The being or not being of Ovechkin's CS is quite irrelevant in this discussion as far as I'm concerned. It's about their respective individual performances.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I didn't say the Caps win the Cup without Ovechkin. There are people on here using the argument that Ovechkin is better because of those things and I'm pointing out that Iginla's 2004 postseason was every bit as good as Ovechkin's. Like it or not, a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe and not really individual awards (Smyth in the sense that you basically have to win the Cup to get it) and team quality matters.

So I'm not basing my argument off of imaginary scenarios. I'm saying Iginla took an inferior team to the brink of a Cup.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
This is pushing it. Ovechkin has had a million chances to do something in the playoffs, Iginla was quite a bit less fortunate in that regard. Hard to draw definitive conclusions based on one series, game, or sequence of a game.

The being or not being of Ovechkin's CS is quite irrelevant in this discussion as far as I'm concerned. It's about their respective individual performances.
That’s true. But Ovechkin more or less of the time was their best player. I do agree that a better supporting cast like a Ovechkin had these past playoffs would have benefited Iginla.

Well, even as individuals, Ovechkin led the league in goals with 87 points this year as well.
I didn't say the Caps win the Cup without Ovechkin. There are people on here using the argument that Ovechkin is better because of those things and I'm pointing out that Iginla's 2004 postseason was every bit as good as Ovechkin's. Like it or not, a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe and not really individual awards (Smyth in the sense that you basically have to win the Cup to get it) and team quality matters.

So I'm not basing my argument off of imaginary scenarios. I'm saying Iginla took an inferior team to the brink of a Cup.
I don’t think it was “every bit as good” as Ovechkins. It was great no doubt, but Ovechkins I feel was better. Not that superior, but better.

I agree they aren’t awards that should make or break a players stock when comparing, but in the end Ovechkins post season was better than Iginlas whether or not he would have won a cup and Smythe.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
These threads aren't even worth having. I guarantee that well over half the posters in here were no older than... 5?... in 2004.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No, but they also aren't part of the narrative that Iginla spent his whole career with Clarke Wilm and Craig Berube while handcuffed with cinder blocks tied to his skates.

Who's pushing that? Not everything is in terms of black or white, 1 or 0, good or bad. He spent his entire prime with the Calgary Flames, who while having some good players around him on the roster, never had even another great one other than his goalie. The failing of the franchise to find a true #1 centerman for him to play with in his time in Calgary should be considered the biggest regret in the organization's history. Which is a history that includes A LOT of unfortunate decisions :laugh:

Has there been a team with just one elite skater on it to win a cup since the turn of the millenium? Or even since the mid 80s? The fact that he came so close in 2004 as a winger speaks to just how good he was in his 20s.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Iginla's best two seasons are better than Ovechkin's 17/18 easily. But Iginla was less consistent: went from 52 goals/96 points to 35 goals/67 points in '01-'03.

Reactions: Hippasus

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well it's nice that he was an "offensive nuclear weapon" but that didn't translate into Cups.
There's a reason why he won this year. And not before.

Yeah, his supporting cast stepped up and did an awesome job providing secondary scoring (or in Kuznetsovs case primary scoring).

Reactions: Hippasus

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No, but they also aren't part of the narrative that Iginla spent his whole career with Clarke Wilm and Craig Berube while handcuffed with cinder blocks tied to his skates.

I don't think anyone's ever used that narrative, that I've seen. For us folks that watched him in Calgary for a decade; the narrative was always how he never had a 1C. The closest thing was Tanguay on his LW... and still.

Look at some of those Flame teams in the past. Outside of Jarome, how many forwards can people name that played on this team without a google search?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad