Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

• Total voters

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Depends on your definition I guess. It's definitely the most mature and complete game he has ever played, but he was a flat out offensive nuclear weapon in his young days. Don't get me wrong he can still shoot with the best of them and is a very very dangerous offensive player, but he is not flying down the ice dangling players like it's a video game anymore. It's a different game he plays now, arguably one that leads to less personal success but more team success.
Well it's nice that he was an "offensive nuclear weapon" but that didn't translate into Cups.
There's a reason why he won this year. And not before.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Close. I think Ovechkin. If it was absolute peak Iginla, I think I'd have to go with him over anything post-peak Ovechkin.

Give me prime Iggy here. He was in the discussion for the best player in the world at his peak and never had much help at all. Very easy to argue that Ovechkin had 2 centers just this year that were better than any center Iginla ever played with in Calgary

Prime OV>>Prime Iggy>Current OV

Iginla was the best player in the NHL and Ovy is at best the 2nd best player in the NHL. But the level of play is so much higher now, I’d go with Ovy because he’s slightly more explosive.

Seriously, when was this? The only reason Iginla would be the best player in the world at any one point is if you disqualify Forsberg for nursing injury.

He wasn't better than Forsberg 02-06, Thornton 05-07, Crosby 07-, Ovechkin 07-10 etc. The list can go on. I know there is a small minority that made such argument but it really isn't that close.

Well it's nice that he was an "offensive nuclear weapon" but that didn't translate into Cups.
There's a reason why he won this year. And not before.

Good argument.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Seriously, when was this? The only reason Iginla would be the best player in the world at any one point is if you disqualify Forsberg for nursing injury.

He wasn't better than Forsberg 02-06, Thornton 05-07, Crosby 07-, Ovechkin 07-10 etc. The list can go on. I know there is a small minority that made such argument but it really isn't that close.
01-02 through 03-04 Iginla played 238 games, Forsberg 114 games. I forgot Forsberg was the man then because I just pulled up the Hart voting for Iginla's 2 runner ups but Forsberg missed the regular season when Iginla led the league in goals and points and lost the Hart to Theodore on some shit (Flames had 79 points, Habs 87, such BS) so I don't think DQing him for injury is that crazy.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'd put prime Iginla up with almost anybody. But the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup makes this poll obvious. OV

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Rather than being outscored by his linemate, Crosby made his linemate into an elite goalscorer, he was better in the SCF than OV was againt a better defensive team, and battled through a potentially career ending concussion.

They are about the same level of performance, and two of the better performances of the era. OV's certainly was not one of the best ever which I was responding to.
He what? If he had a career ending concussion to battle through, I doubt he would of been on the ice.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Ovechkin was able to rise up in the Finals. Iginla was a ghost.

Weird comment. Just off the top of my head Iginla had a breakaway goal in Tampa where he scored on his own rebound (game 1?), and he also scored a big 3-0 goal in game 3 on a nice pass from Regher.

I looked it up and he had 3 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, including the primary assist on the game 5 OT winner and an epic fight with Lecavalier. Hardly a ghost.

Reactions: DropIt

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Rather than being outscored by his linemate, Crosby made his linemate into an elite goalscorer, he was better in the SCF than OV was againt a better defensive team, and battled through a potentially career ending concussion.

They are about the same level of performance, and two of the better performances of the era. OV's certainly was not one of the best ever which I was responding to.
Didn’t Guenztel have 21 points as well with 2 more goals? Technically that’s being “outscored.”

Give me prime Iggy here. He was in the discussion for the best player in the world at his peak and never had much help at all. Very easy to argue that Ovechkin had 2 centers just this year that were better than any center Iginla ever played with in Calgary

Prime OV>>Prime Iggy>Current OV
Ovechkin from 08-10 was the best player in the world, that sure beats Iggy being in the “discussion.” 3 Ted Lindays, 2 Hart’s, 2 Rockets, and 1 Art Ross....what did Iginla do to top that at any given time?

If your going to use linemates against Ovi, make sure and see how Those same Linemates were better while playing with him. Also, his best season(08) he was playing with an old Fedorov.....so much for that argument.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Didn’t Guenztel have 21 points as well with 2 more goals? Technically that’s being “outscored.”

Ovechkin from 08-10 was the best player in the world, that sure beats Iggy being in the “discussion.” 3 Ted Lindays, 2 Hart’s, 2 Rockets, and 1 Art Ross....what did Iginla do to top that at any given time?

If your going to use linemates against Ovi, make sure and see how Those same Linemates were better while playing with him. Also, his best season(08) he was playing with an old Fedorov.....so much for that argument.

Not sure what you are arguing. I said prime OV >> than prime Iginla. The discussion is about CURRENT Ovechkin.

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
01-02 through 03-04 Iginla played 238 games, Forsberg 114 games. I forgot Forsberg was the man then because I just pulled up the Hart voting for Iginla's 2 runner ups but Forsberg missed the regular season when Iginla led the league in goals and points and lost the Hart to Theodore on some **** (Flames had 79 points, Habs 87, such BS) so I don't think DQing him for injury is that crazy.

Iginla was great, but Forsberg had 8 out of 9 seasons surrounding Iginla's Ross that surpassed his ppg, and was clearly better when he came back in the playoffs. He could've played the remaining games at about a 0.45ppg pace to match Iginla's point totals during this stretch.

Even if you exclude him (=> 115 GP). During this stretch, Iginla was 8th in ppg in the regular season, and, 7th (=> 20 GP, which is kind to him because only 1 player ahead played less games, and we remove relevant names like Modano) in playoff ppg, so it's not like he blew his competition away.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Not sure what you are arguing. I said prime OV >> than prime Iginla. The discussion is about CURRENT Ovechkin.
regardless CURRENT Ovechkin still has a good argument for being better than prime Iginla. I loved Iginla, but Ovechkin has been dominant on a whole other level. Sure, he can be inconsistent, but he still has that level of play. That’s not taking anything Away from him though.
I really, really wonder if people even think before they post.

Iggy was a replay away from getting a more deserving Smythe than OV.
Your going to argue about what is and isn’t a “deserving” Smythe? :laugh: Ok Daver. This is coming from the guy who has made himself believe that Crosby’s sudden “two way play” earned him the Smythe in 2016.

Fact is....should of, could of, and would have. You can grasp on strong to this imaginary replay that would have resulted in an imaginary cup with a more “deserving” imaginary Smythe, but in the end Ovechkin has topped Iginla in the regular season and now playoffs....and that’s speaking for what has actually happened, no make belief.

Maybe you should think before posting such an argument?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
How is it that everyone argues "pace" against Ovechkin when Ovechkin is the only god damn player who actually plays 82 games and scores his "pace" numbers.

Hockey fans are unique in that extrapolations are treated with equal or greater importance relative to things that actually happened.

Especially where it concerns Crosby and Lemieux fans.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin was able to rise up in the Finals. Iginla was a ghost.

What a terribly thought out comment. Kudos to OV for putting up more points than Iggy in the SCF but Iggy was first on his team in scoring, one was 4th on his team in scoring. OV did not rise up in the finals, Kuzy did.

Iggy > OV over the first three rounds.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
What a terribly thought out comment. Kudos to OV for putting up more points than Iggy in the SCF but Iggy was first on his team in scoring, one was 4th on his team in scoring. OV did not rise up in the finals, Kuzy did.

Iggy > OV over the first three rounds.
Kuzy was great in the finals, but Ovechkin certainly did raise his game in the finals. You don’t get 3 goals and 5 points in 5 games by not “rising up.” In the end it’s a team sport and I’m sure Iginlas lack of overall scoring hurt the flames in the end, but Ovechkin showed another gear and continued to be consistent.

Also, Iggy over Ovi?....
First three rounds...
Ovi: 19-12-10-22
Iggy: 19-10-7-17

Talk about terrible thought out comments....

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I really, really wonder if people even think before they post.

Iggy was a replay away from getting a more deserving Smythe than OV.

The puck didnt go in and then z
Iginla turned into captain invisible in games 6 and 7.

Then could never get the flames out of round 1

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Can't tell if you are actually serious with this stuff so not going to bother.

Don't be mad bro, he just wasnt very good when the games really mattered.

That Series against the Blackhawks was just pitiful.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
It outrageously hilarious how his fan boys are now trying to make him out to be a complete player. To bad they just can't admit the facts.
you saying compared to other years, he isn't as complete as before? he's no stout defender, but improved 100%. stop hating

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

don't even bother. they can't see the truth even if it hit them in the face. how does crosby, the best player in the league, allow his teammate (who is not on his level) to have the same amount of points with more goals while being touted as a great and much better goal-scorer himself?

goals out the window (will bring up assists instead), don't even bother.

it's funny how in 12 games, jake outscored the 2016 Conn Smythe winner in 12 fewer games. LMFAOOOOOO you have lost all credibility right there if you bring up "getting outscored by your teammate"

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
It's definitely prime Iggy. And for anyone saying Ovi since "Conn Smythe and Cup", ask yourself whether the 2004 Flames without Iggy look better than the 2018 Caps without Ovi and remember that Iginla was a Game 6 goal away from winning that Conn Smyth and Cup. He was at worst a Top 3 player in the league before the lockout. Is Ovi a Top 3 player right now? Maybe, but not for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad