Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

Current Ovechkin vs Prime Iginla

• Total voters

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Saw an interesting comment in another thread about comparable players, and thought it is interesting to compare them. Obviously not talking about PRIME Ovi who was much much better. But who do you think is better? Prime Iginla or Current Ovechkin?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Saw an interesting comment in another thread about comparable players, and thought it is interesting to compare them. Obviously not talking about PRIME Ovi who was much much better. But who do you think is better? Prime Iginla or Current Ovechkin?
Was my comment. Point is Ovi is more similar to a peak Ignila than a Brett Hull.
Peak Iginla is better than Ovi is now. Prime I dunno what you would consider prime.
Ignila is one of the best players I've ever seen. He did everything for his team. He's one of the most underrated players ever.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Give me prime Iggy here. He was in the discussion for the best player in the world at his peak and never had much help at all. Very easy to argue that Ovechkin had 2 centers just this year that were better than any center Iginla ever played with in Calgary

Prime OV>>Prime Iggy>Current OV

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
canucks and caps fan saying prime iggy by a little bit

we're not talking about peak OV and this is not him at his peak

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Iginla was the best player in the NHL and Ovy is at best the 2nd best player in the NHL. But the level of play is so much higher now, I’d go with Ovy because he’s slightly more explosive.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Current Ovi vs Prime Iginla.. Hard not to go with Iginla here, but it is crazy that Ovechkin can lead the league in scoring again, at his age, this many years after he entered the league, and its like no one is blown away.

I voted Iggy but I will say that perhaps Ovie is held to a higher standard because of his pedigree/previous success. 32 years old and after this year he's lead the league in goal scoring a total of 7 times.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
What happened last year? Cause Crosby's 8 goals was definitely not a better performance than Ovechkin's 15.

Rather than being outscored by his linemate, Crosby made his linemate into an elite goalscorer, he was better in the SCF than OV was againt a better defensive team, and battled through a potentially career ending concussion.

They are about the same level of performance, and two of the better performances of the era. OV's certainly was not one of the best ever which I was responding to.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
This isn't to answer the question above as it's worded, but these two aren't that comparable.

Iginla 20 seasons & Ovechkin 13 seasons
Worst Ovechkin GPG = 0.40 (Iginla's 9th best)
Worst Ovechkin PPG = 0.83 (just under Iginla's 9th best).
Ovechkin 0.50 GPG = 10x (Iginla = 5x)
Ovechkin 1.00 PPG = 10x (Iginla = 5x)

Some people may have a distorted view of the level of player that Iginla was. He was much closer to Hossa than Ovechkin.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Current Ovie? You mean the guy who just won the Conn Smythe and was playing the best hockey of his career?

Um.....Ovie.

Depends on your definition I guess. It's definitely the most mature and complete game he has ever played, but he was a flat out offensive nuclear weapon in his young days. Don't get me wrong he can still shoot with the best of them and is a very very dangerous offensive player, but he is not flying down the ice dangling players like it's a video game anymore. It's a different game he plays now, arguably one that leads to less personal success but more team success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad