Current new and used car price stopping you from buying?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Looks like not only new cars are overpriced but so are used cars as more and more people cannot afford them at the moment. Anyone taking a step back from getting a new or used car at the moment? I was looking for a new Wrangler and can't decide what I am going to do.

Well i havnt been looking but it didn't stop my dad from buying new. Only his second new car in his 70 years.

But I'm pretty sure I could sell my truck for more then i payed for it 6 years ago. I was in for like $3200. You'd have to offer me double to even consider selling it....and even then I dunno if I would

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
both new and used are through the roof here in NY still. I love cars and consistently check out new cars/models as they roll in. No point in buying or selling at this point. Wait it out if you can.

And, not that you asked, I wouldnt buy a Wrangler.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
both new and used are through the roof here in NY still. I love cars and consistently check out new cars/models as they roll in. No point in buying or selling at this point. Wait it out if you can.

And, not that you asked, I wouldnt buy a Wrangler.
Maybe I have been lucky but have only had manual transmission Wranglers since 2000 and none have had any major issues...and they have insane resale value even before the current overall price increase. Not sure of late but for a long while they where number 1 for holding resale value. For a while, again not sure of current data, but 3-4 year old Wranglers held 70 to 75% of the MSRP.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Maybe I have been lucky but have only had manual transmission Wranglers since 2000 and none have had any major issues...and they have insane resale value even before the current overall price increase. Not sure of late but for a long while they where number 1 for holding resale value. For a while, again not sure of current data, but 3-4 year old Wranglers held 70 to 75% of the MSRP.

People LOVE them. Like they need a 12 step program or something. and I think that's part of the resale #'s being good. Dealers want them back to resell. I just never got into them -- and well -- being a Chrysler product-- not something I would ever buy. Cool looking outside I guess, but inside is blurrgghh for me.

But similar to sports teams, people love what they love.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't have much experience in Jeeps. I drove a TJ once and thought what a pos. Turns out the ebrake was on...in an auto! Like who does that?

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People LOVE them. Like they need a 12 step program or something. and I think that's part of the resale #'s being good. Dealers want them back to resell. I just never got into them -- and well -- being a Chrysler product-- not something I would ever buy. Cool looking outside I guess, but inside is blurrgghh for me.

But similar to sports teams, people love what they love.
1664481733831.png

In all seriousness they seem to do a better job with Jeep products, at least the Wrangler from my experience, than other Chrysler products which I would not buy either.

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN and Bones45

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
View attachment 589647

In all seriousness they seem to do a better job with Jeep products, at least the Wrangler from my experience, than other Chrysler products which I would not buy either.

Yup- one of their moneymakers -- Same reason for the Corvette--- So many Chevy vehicles are complete trash, but vette isnt one of them.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I don't have much experience in Jeeps. I drove a TJ once and thought what a pos. Turns out the ebrake was on...in an auto! Like who does that?
Only when parked on an incredibly steep hill have I used the e-brake in an auto.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Only when parked on an incredibly steep hill have I used the e-brake in an auto.
Use mine all the time but I drive a manual. It makes me sad as we move to electric and hybrid cars and trucks, at some point the ole manual transmission won't exist anymore. As is, so many young people can't drive stick. Happened to me once at a hand car wash, I had to move my own Jeep up as the did their thing because none of them were competent with a manual.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Use mine all the time but I drive a manual. It makes me sad as we move to electric and hybrid cars and trucks, at some point the ole manual transmission won't exist anymore. As is, so many young people can't drive stick. Happened to me once at a hand car wash, I had to move my own Jeep up as the did their thing because none of them were competent with a manual.
I had been wanting a manual car my whole life but never had the chance to learn. Leased a WRX and learned, and 99% of the time I'd never want to go back. However, I had to go into the city the other day for work (normally I WFH, but I'll need to start going in more often due to my role changing) and it was so bad that I have questioned whether or not I could keep the car as long as I work with this company. I get paid pretty well and I am not interested in changing jobs, so looks like the car might fall victim to the commute.

Ideally, I'd want both a cheap, automatic beater that I can bring into the city (like an old Subaru Forester or something) and a fun, impractical manual sports car that brings a smile to my face every time I fire it up (like a C7 Corvette Z06, old Audi R8 with the gated shifter like this one, Mach 1 Mustang with the Tremec, etc.) But I don't have a garage, and I do have a spouse that loves to unintentionally take up a larger portion of the driveway with her Subaru Ascent than she should.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Stick shift is becoming the best security system a car can have...

Reactions: rynryn and beowulf

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Absolutely on the buying part. However, if you have a car to sell, you might as well take advantage of the crazy sellers market and shortage.

Late last year my BIL wanted to get out of a lemon (IIRC) 2017 Jeep Cherokee. Not expecting anything eye opening, he requested a quote from Carvana. They came back with an offer that was maybe a couple hundred bucks short of what he had paid for the car 2 years prior and with less then half the miles.... He took the offer and barely had to lift a finger. They sent a guy to make sure it starts (and completely ignore a huge oil leak) and then handed him the check and towed it away. BIL paid off the Jeep and bought an older and cheaper Lexus.

I also know a few people who sold their newer cars or pocketed the equity from the dealers begging them to turn their leases in early and then turned around and got something like a cheap Camry or Rav4 with cash to get from point A to B while they wait for the market to settle down... if it ever does.

At least where I'm at (suburban Detroit area), if you post a compact/midsize SUV/crossover or anything from Honda or Toyota on Facebook marketplace at a somewhat reasonable price, it can easily be sold in less than 24 hours. I've done it twice since this whole chip shortage thing started affecting the auto market.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A year and a half ago I sold my 2012 Dodge Journey, 165k and a busted transmission. Listed it on Facebook Marketplace for a grand with NO SECRETS. I was very clear that the car would need a transmission. I received countless offers within a few hours. Had it gone the next day, $1k cash.

I turned around and bought a hybrid Sorento for 900 under sticker, which I was thrilled about. I think I lucked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad