Speculation: Current/All-time "Five Tool" Hockey Players

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I saw a thread like this on a board a while back and thought I'd bring it up to us pens fans, seeing as we have the two best players in the world right now.

The Question is simple. What are some current and all-time "FIVE TOOL" hockey players.

Five Tool Criteria: (this is debatable but I go with these)

1. Shooting (Power/Accuracy)
2. Passing (Vision/Accuracy)
3. Skating (Speed/Acceleration/Foot work)
4. Stick Handling (Skill/Creativity/Puck Control)
5. Defense/Physicality (If the player has either it counts as the 5th tool)

I combine Defense and Physicality because every player (offense or defense) has the first 4 tools. The fifth tool has some debate, they both are tools, but neither good enough to kick out the other.

Here are a couple players that come to mine that I think fit the bill:

Current:

1. Sidney Crosby: Need I say more?

2. Pavel Datsyuk: Great defense and playmaking obviously but, his shot is under rated too, that guy can put it wherever he wants it

3. Erik Karlsson: He has such great vision on the ice, and his skating ability helps his overall defense so much, a great example that a defenseman doesn't have hit.

All Time:

1. Bobby Orr: Lets face it, the guy changed the position.

2. Eric Lindros: I know I know, he's a flyer... but lets be real here, he had all the tools anyone could ask for.

3. Sergei Fedorov: A lot of people chose him in the other thread, he was such a complete player when he wanted to be, he just didn't always want to be.

Have at it!

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
I saw a thread like this on a board a while back and thought I'd bring it up to us pens fans, seeing as we have the two best players in the world right now.

The Question is simple. What are some current and all-time "FIVE TOOL" hockey players.

Five Tool Criteria: (this is debatable but I go with these)

I combine Defense and Physicality because every player (offense or defense) has the first 4 tools. The fifth tool has some debate, they both are tools, but neither good enough to kick out the other.

Here are a couple players that come to mine that I think fit the bill:

Current:

1. Sidney Crosby: Need I say more?

2. Pavel Datsyuk: Great defense and playmaking obviously but, his shot is under rated too, that guy can put it wherever he wants it

3. Erik Karlsson: He has such great vision on the ice, and his skating ability helps his overall defense so much, a great example that a defenseman doesn't have hit.

All Time:

1. Bobby Orr: Lets face it, the guy changed the position.

2. Eric Lindros: I know I know, he's a flyer... but lets be real here, he had all the tools anyone could ask for.

3. Sergei Fedorov: A lot of people chose him in the other thread, he was such a complete player when he wanted to be, he just didn't always want to be.

Have at it!

I'll have more fun picking the player with the best individual "tool"

Marian Gaborik, his shot is simply unbelievable.

Henrik Sedin, him and Crosby are on a tier of their own in playmaking.

Offense: Scott Hartnell:sarcasm: but really, I'll take Pavel Datsyuk

Defense: As much as Karlsson comes to mind, Letang is a better skater imho.

Hate to pick him twice, but Pavel Datsyuk is unrivaled when it comes to puck control. He's simply better than the rest of the league, yes even Crosby.

Give me Zdeno Chara.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
For the all time list.

Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Mark Messier.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the all time list.

Denis Potvin, Bryan Trottier, Mark Messier.

I'm surprised HF hasn't exploded after you failed to mention the obvious one, Peter Forsberg. On HF, he's better than all three of the guys you mentioned by quite a large margin!

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I'm surprised HF hasn't exploded after you failed to mention the obvious one, Peter Forsberg. On HF, he's better than all three of the guys you mentioned by quite a large margin!

Yeah, I remember when Jagr was the best player in the world, and the "contrarians" like Barry Melrose would say, "no, Forsberg is the better player". Man, PF was great, but the guy never scored over 30 goals in a season. Incredible passer, wonderful vision, great hockey sense, and grit though.

Just like today with Sid. A few years ago, "Doughty....best player in the league." People this year was saying "Karlsson, best player". Everyone likes the hot newcomer.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA

Yea....Karlsson isn't so much for the defense as he is creating offense from the end of the ice where his goaltender is. He's much like Mike Green in this aspect.

But otherwise good picks, Datsyuk might be the best all around 5 tool guy right now.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Haha note to self: revise future posts. :laugh:

There's no revising greatness.

bugsy.jpg

If ever a player looked like he walked out of a trailer park and into the NHL... :laugh:

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Yea....Karlsson isn't so much for the defense as he is creating offense from the end of the ice where his goaltender is. He's much like Mike Green in this aspect.

But otherwise good picks, Datsyuk might be the best all around 5 tool guy right now.

I disagree on Karlsson. The fact that he is known as an offensive defensemen makes people think he isn't good in his own zone. Green (in his prime yrs) had more pure offense than I think Karlsson even has now, but Karlsson is leaps and bounds better than Green in his own zone. He sees the ice miles better than green ever did. He plays big minutes against top lines and the pk. That SH goal he had a few games before he got hurt, that was fun just so to watch. Reads the play, jumps in to intercept and then the finish. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad