Curious about Marlies prospect..

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'm just curious about my good ole buddy Colin Murphy.. He's been playing on the Marlies since they've come into being, and he holds the honor of scoring the first ever goal for their franchise. Just browsing through the stats, he seems to be somewhere near the top of the team in scoring the last couple of years.. yet on HF he's not even listed as one of their prospects? I believe he is 26 now but I'm not certain about that .. So I'm just curious, what are the chances that he gets a shot on the big club? He doesn't even seem to be listed on their depth chart anywhere, which is kind of a bummer, but being realistic what kind of chance does a player like him stand of getting a call up at some point? He seems to outscore more highly regarded prospects on a regular basis, so I'm just curious as to what anybody could tell me! Thanks!

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
was signed as an undrafted free agent , i believe during the lockout. if you check out the marlies page it has his stats and some other info.. looks like he is 2nd on the team for points right now

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
he's stats are pretty good. looks like he had a great last year in college. what kind of game does he play. is he a grinder?? is he responsibel defensively??

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
he's stats are pretty good. looks like he had a great last year in college. what kind of game does he play. is he a grinder?? is he responsibel defensively??

if he has a future in the NHL it will be as a grinder, he put up some very good numbers in college and is still producing in the AHL but his offensive upside isnt real high, he does have some nice moves around the net and is a good passer but his grit will be what will give him a chance.

And he does have some grit, is willing to drop the gloves (i think he fought in his first game of pro hockey after college). He still needs to improve his d-zone play (although its not bad to begin with) to take the next step. To me he is a guy who will likely be a long time minor-leaguer but if given the chance i think he could find a way to grab a 4th line spot somewhere.

Last edited:

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
I've often wondered-so many times you hear about a great prospect in Junior, how many goals they scored, their talent ect, yet they hit the NHL and all of a sudden they're a 3rd or 4th line grinder who can't keep up. I know there are a lot of variables, but what tend to be the biggest things that turn a "sure fire" 1st liner to a 3rd or 4th liner(or career AHLer)? Is it skating? Body strength?

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I've often wondered-so many times you hear about a great prospect in Junior, how many goals they scored, their talent ect, yet they hit the NHL and all of a sudden they're a 3rd or 4th line grinder who can't keep up. I know there are a lot of variables, but what tend to be the biggest things that turn a "sure fire" 1st liner to a 3rd or 4th liner(or career AHLer)? Is it skating? Body strength?

even if you are a great scorer in juniors you dont allways end up as one in the nhl. the game is so much faster and the guys you play against is much stronger. it is very difficult to get used to the high speed and pull of the same moves as you did playing junior hockey. and if you are not able to produce points in the nhl you end up as a career ahl'er or fringe/role player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->