NHL Entry Draft: Cups Final 2011 NHL 7-Round Mock Draft (Expedited Version)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
That seems to be the selling point, like some sort of comic-book mish-mash, a fantasy of sorts when the reality is Buffalo has five roster defensemen under the age of 25 (Myers, Sekera, Weber, Butler, Gragnani) and a full stable of blueliners coming down the pipe (McNabb, Pysyk, Schiestel, Brennan, Matt MacKenzie, Gauthier-Leduc, Crawford, Biega, and Persson) that they do not need any defensemen while their pipeline stock in quality pivots is bankrupt as is their high-end scoring forwards. Yes, yes, most of the names aren't flashy or particularly well-known yet that doesn't mean the Sabres don't turn out NHL-level defensemen nor that they are jam-packed with guys at the developmental level to the point that they can and should look to address their bigger weaknesses. They will be looking for scoring forwards, even if they need to move a bit up or down to land the guy they want. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me to see them move up in the third for a guy like Coleman, even as a 19-year old, just to make sure they get another offensive pivot in the system.

There is no point to Oleksiak when there are crumbs at center and barely more than that on the wing.

Your probably right.

But still, can you imagine two mobile 6-7 defenders on the ice at the same time? Jeeze...

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
The :cbj are pleased to select, from the Vancouver Giants of the WHL, defenseman David Musil
David+Musil+CHL+Top+Prospects+Headshots+cae21Vs9jtxl.jpg

Jesker

May 8, 2010
Montreal
:nashville

The Nashville Predators are proud to select Dimitrij Jaskin.

Jaskin.jpg

:nashville 2011 draft

2nd (38th). Dimitrij Jaskin 6'3 198 RW Czech​

YNWABoston

Aug 3, 2005
Boston, MA
:bruins

With the 40th selection in the 2011 NHL Draft the Boston Bruins select

Daniel Catenacci, Forward, from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds​

Daniel-Catenacci-2.jpg

Boston Bruins Draft

Round 1(9)- Mika Zibanejad, Center, Djurgarden, SEL

Round 2(40)- Daniel Catenacci, Forward, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
I didn't want any of the available forwards. Oleksiak was by far BPA for me.

And I got Shane Prince in the 2nd rounder for some depth.

I think Buffalo made a very good pick with Oleksiak which was great value where he was picked.

Those who keep ripping Brian Boyle for this pick need to understand short term fixes are not made through the entry draft, sign a couple FA's for up front and keep drafting BPA for the future.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
No offence Brian, but that's a BRUTAL first round pick for Buffalo. Literally the last thing in the world we need is a defensemen. We're bursting at the seams on D.

We so desperately need centers. Sooo desperately. Big tough forwards with scoring touch in general, but a pivot in particular.

I hate that pick.

I understand BPA and all, but this is a situation where it makes zero sense. I think you'll have trouble finding a single Sabre fan that likes it.

I think Buffalo made a very good pick with Oleksiak which was great value where he was picked.

Those who keep ripping Brian Boyle for this pick need to understand short term fixes are not made through the entry draft, sign a couple FA's for up front and keep drafting BPA for the future.

Besides Luke Adam, the Sabres have zero (0) centers in the pipeline that project well. Zero. It is a desperate need to fill. Not for today's roster mind you. Tomorrow's.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
There were no players available that fit the player that you just described. Tyler Biggs is the closest fit, but:

1. He's a RW
2. I don't like Biggs

I picked Prince in the 2nd round. He's a C. Oleksiak + Prince is better value that picking a player I don't think is going to turn into anything. I've seen Oleksiak ranked in the top-15. It would have been ludicrous to not take him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I didn't want any of the available forwards. Oleksiak was by far BPA for me.

And I got Shane Prince in the 2nd rounder for some depth.

clearly neither of you spent a moment to research the Sabres pipeline, AHL, and NHL rosters...

NHL : Myers, Sekera, Butler, Weber, Gragnani ALL under 25 years old
AHL : Persson 1st rounder, Schiestel 2nd, Brennan 2nd, McNabb 2nd, Crawford 6th
Pipeline : Pysyk 1st rounder, Mackenzie 3rd, Gauthier-Leduc 3rd

10 of our top 17 prospects on HF, are Defensemen.

The Sabres are NOT drafting a defensemen in the 1st round...They drafted 3 in the first 3 rounds LAST YEAR.

Do your homework

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
clearly neither of you spent a moment to research the Sabres pipeline, AHL, and NHL rosters...

The Sabres are NOT drafting a defensemen in the 1st round...They drafted 3 in the first 3 rounds LAST YEAR.

Do your homework

Maybe the Sabres' mock GM thinks Oleksiak is better in the long-term than the prospects you list? I don't recall first-rounder Pysyk, for example, being all that impressive, either last season in his draft year or this season.

The Blues had a number of U25 players on their roster this year, and a lot of them got injured and missed significant time. If a similar fate befalls Buffalo's young defensemen this year, having another first-rounder on the defense depth chart will look pretty smart.

I can see a case being made for Oleksiak as BPA in that slot. If nothing else, you load up your stable at one position so you can trade from that position of strength later, as the Sharks did with all their goalies not so long ago.

Lighten up, Francis.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Do your homework

Okay, I'll take the player I don't think will amount to much over the player I feel will be a valuable NHLer because of position. Gotcha.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Maybe the Sabres' mock GM thinks Oleksiak is better in the long-term than the prospects you list? I don't recall first-rounder Pysyk, for example, being all that impressive, either last season in his draft year or this season.

The Blues had a number of U25 players on their roster this year, and a lot of them got injured and missed significant time. If a similar fate befalls Buffalo's young defensemen this year, having another first-rounder on the defense depth chart will look pretty smart.

I can see a case being made for Oleksiak as BPA in that slot. If nothing else, you load up your stable at one position so you can trade from that position of strength later, as the Sharks did with all their goalies not so long ago.

Lighten up, Francis.

Oleksiak being a borderline top 15 player, and being available in the mid 20s is EXACTLY the same situation as Pysyk to the Sabres last year.

If a defensemen was the BPA in the 1st round every year, would you draft a defensemen in the 1st round EVERY year?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Okay, I'll take the player I don't think will amount to much over the player I feel will be a valuable NHLer because of position. Gotcha.

wow... so, none of the forwards available are going to amount to much? I know this draft is weak... but dang that's harsh. I can't believe there weren't ANY "valuable NHLers" at forward available at #26
:laugh:

It's easy to justify your "BPA" if you have no background information on the Sabres.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
wow... so, none of the forwards available are going to amount to much? I know this draft is weak... but dang that's harsh. I can't believe there weren't ANY "valuable NHLers" at forward available at #26
:laugh:

It's easy to justify your "BPA" if you have no background information on the Sabres.

At that point? No, I didn't think any of the available forwards would be as valuable as Oleksiak.

Also, yelling "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SABRES", doesn't really help your argument. I know what their prospect pool looks like. Maybe I'm not impressed with their prospects, ever think of that? Not that I'm not, but I don't think any of the forwards that would be reasonable to take at that point would do more than Oleksiak.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Oleksiak being a borderline top 15 player, and being available in the mid 20s is EXACTLY the same situation as Pysyk to the Sabres last year.

Okay, so maybe the Sabres' mock GM decided that Oleksiak was better or had more long-term potential than Pysyk, then.

This is one person's opinion. If you don't like it, that's fine, and it's your right to complain... but you're disparaging people personally with your criticism, and that's not cool.

If a defensemen was the BPA in the 1st round every year, would you draft a defensemen in the 1st round EVERY year?

Theoretically, why not? The NHL Entry Draft, as you probably know, is not designed to meet immediate team needs like the NFL or NBA drafts. The NHL scouts are projecting 18-year-old players three to five years out, and trying to proactively fill holes in their roster before they occur.

There are plenty of people with a lot more knowledge and experience than either you or I possess, who will insist that you draft the BPA at every draft position in every year, regardless of wether or not you already have a half-dozen similar players in your organization.

Then, a little thing called "asset management" comes into play, where you trade from a position of strength in the organization in order to address an area where your organization is not so strong. The GM's who are good at doing that, are the ones who build and sustain winning teams.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Okay, so maybe the Sabres' mock GM decided that Oleksiak was better or had more long-term potential than Pysyk, then.

This is one person's opinion. If you don't like it, that's fine, and it's your right to complain... but you're disparaging people personally with your criticism, and that's not cool.

Theoretically, why not? The NHL Entry Draft, as you probably know, is not designed to meet immediate team needs like the NFL or NBA drafts. The NHL scouts are projecting 18-year-old players three to five years out, and trying to proactively fill holes in their roster before they occur.

There are plenty of people with a lot more knowledge and experience than either you or I possess, who will insist that you draft the BPA at every draft position in every year, regardless of wether or not you already have a half-dozen similar players in your organization.

Then, a little thing called "asset management" comes into play, where you trade from a position of strength in the organization in order to address an area where your organization is not so strong. The GM's who are good at doing that, are the ones who build and sustain winning teams.

Darcy Regier (after the team drafted 3 straight defensemen with their first 3 picks last year), specifically instructed his guys to ONLY discuss forwards throughout the rest of the draft. So, the Sabres GM's philosophy is NOT to take BPA every possible pick.

The Sabres do NOT draw UFA talent like other teams. And in case you haven't noticed, top 6 centers dont get traded all that often.

The Sabres cupboard is completely bare when it comes to center and goal scoring forwards.

Teams draft what they NEED over BPA all the time. Hedman over Duchene as an example. Most of the time they are able to mask it as BPA.

I will personally guarantee that the Sabres will not draft a defensemen. Not at 16, or 26 or anywhere else in the 1st round, or with their 1st pick.

On the Sabres board, the re-action to the Oleksiak pick is mostly... "well that was dumb".

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The picks didn't fall the way I wanted them to, oh well. Good thing it's a mock draft.

Also, again, I picked Shane Prince @ 39. The difference between the available forwards @ 26 and Prince aren't all too large, maybe even negligible.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
At that point? No, I didn't think any of the available forwards would be as valuable as Oleksiak.

Also, yelling "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SABRES", doesn't really help your argument. I know what their prospect pool looks like. Maybe I'm not impressed with their prospects, ever think of that? Not that I'm not, but I don't think any of the forwards that would be reasonable to take at that point would do more than Oleksiak.

Not impressed with their prospects?

McNabb is a far better prospect than Oleksiak. He's coming off a 20 goal/50 assist MVP type season in the dub and just signed a few weeks ago.

Gragnani just won the Eddie Shore for best defensemen in the AHL

Pysyk, a first rounder, is developing nicely...

oh yea, and there's this guy named Myers

What's obvious is that you like Oleksiak (who doesn't like 6'8 defensemen)... what's also obvious is that you made a move based on being a generic team (a generic team would definitely take Oleksiak)... not the Buffalo Sabres (who assuredly will NOT draft a defensemen)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The picks didn't fall the way I wanted them to, oh well. Good thing it's a mock draft.

Also, again, I picked Shane Prince @ 39. The difference between the available forwards @ 26 and Prince aren't all too large, maybe even negligible.

Shane Prince is a winger, and a 3rd rounder at best. He got inflated numbers playing with Toffoli. He's completely 1 dimensional.

Using a high 2nd on Prince is scary to say the least.

The difference between players like Kohklachev, Namestnikov, Miller, Rask is very significant.

In your trade down scenario... the Sabres could've taken Kohklachev and Rask... and it would've revamped their center pipeline. Needing 1 of them to really reach their ceiling. That would be an amazing draft.... IMO.

What was the trade down scenario you were hoping for? Since you said it didn't work out the way you planned?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->