Cups early top 90 for the 07 NHL entry draft.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Well it is that time of year again. The time when some are brave (or just stupid) enough to share their opinion on prospect rankings with all of you.

First off I will say that this draft year does not seem to be a very strong draft year in the sense of any real elite or blue chip talent that we have grown accustom to headline the last few drafts. This draft class however is rather deep with mid/high level and potential sleeper prospects that could make some noise down the road in their development path to the pros. This draft year it would be a good time to draft based on team needs rather than the best available player style since the first, second and even into the third rounds are so balanced. I know there will be lots of debate on who should go where and why but honestly my own rankings change almost day by day.

Most of my viewings consist of live CHL games with limited live and recorded USHL, NCAA, and very limited viewings of European games via video and/or internet. I plan on reducing my CHL viewing content and boosting my minor US league (US high school, USHL and NAHL) and European league game coverage for the next couple months.

1. Angelo Esposito, C, Quebec (QMJHL)
2. Zach Hamill, C, Everett (WHL)
3. Alexei Cherepanov, RW, Omsk (Russia)
4. Sam Gagner, C, London (OHL)
5. James Van Riemsdyk, LW, U.S. National U-18
6. Kyle Turris, C, Burnaby (BCHL)
7. Keven Veilleux, C, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
8. Mark Katic, D, Sarnia (OHL)
9. Brandon Sutter, C/RW, Red Deer (WHL)
10. Jakub Voracek, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)
11. Patrick Kane, RW, London (OHL)
12. Tyson Sexsmith, G, Vancouver (WHL)
13. Karl Alzner, D, Calgary (WHL)
14. Logan Couture, C, Ottawa (OHL)
15. John Negrin, D, Kootenay (WHL)
16. Kevin Shattenkirk, D, U.S. National U-18
17. Nicholas Petrecki, D, Omaha (USHL)
18. Ruslan Bashkirov, LW, Quebec (QMJHL)
19. John Blum, D, Vancouver (WHL)
20. Stefan Legein, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
21. James O'Brien, C, U. of Minnesota (WCHA)
22. Mikael Backlund, C, Vasteras (Sweden-2)
23. Keaton Ellerby, D, Kamloops (WHL)
24. Oscar Moller, W, Chilliwack (WHL)
25. Thomas Hickey, D, Seattle (WHL)
26. Tommy Cross, D, Westminster School (Conn.) (U.S. high school)
27. Sergei Korostin, RW, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
28. Alex Plante, D, Calgary (WHL)
29. Mike Hoeffel, W, U.S. National U-18
30. Zack Torquato, C, Erie (OHL)
31. Patrick White, C, Grand Rapids High (Minn.) (U.S. high school)
32. Colton Gillies, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
33. Akim Aliu, C/RW, Sudbury (OHL)
34. Maxime Tanguay, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
35. Trevor Cann, G, Peterborough (OHL)
36. Eric Doyle, D, Everett (WHL)
37. Michal Repik, RW, Vancouver (WHL)
38. Brett Maclean, LW, Oshawa (OHL)
39. Maxim Gratchev, LW, Rimouski (QMJHL)
40. Drayson Bowman, C/LW, Spokane (WHL)
41. David Skokan, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
42. Maxim Mayorov, W, Leninogorsk (Russia-2)
43. Ryan McDonagh, D, Cretin-Derham High (Minn.) (U.S. high school)
44. Nick Ross, D, Regina (WHL)
45. Lars Eller, W, Frolunda Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
46. David Perron, W, Lewiston (QMJHL)
47. Taylor Ellington, D, Everett (WHL)
48. Brad Phillips, G, U.S. National U-18
49. Nick Palmieri, RW, Erie (OHL)
50. Nikolai Lukyanchikov, D, Stupino (Russia-2)
51. Jeremy Smith, G, Plymouth (OHL)
52. Nick Spaling, C, Kitchener (OHL)
53. Bill Sweatt LW Colorado College (WCHA)
54. Kevin Marshall, D, Lewiston (QMJHL)
55. Dwight King, C/LW, Lethbridge (WHL)
56. Max Pacioretty, LW, Sioux City (USHL)
57. Josh Kidd, D, Erie (OHL)
58. Dana Tyrell, C/RW, Prince George (WHL)
59. Vitali Karamnov, C, Dynamo Moscow (Russia)
60. Colby Cohen, D, Lincoln (USHL)
61. Daniel Kelly, D, Kitchener (OHL)
62. Justin McCrae, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
63. Joel Gistedt, G, Frolunda (Sweden )
64. Logan Macmillan, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
65. David Stich, D, Saint John (QMJHL)
66. Ben Ryan, C, Des Moines (USHL)
67. Mihail Milekhin, RW, CSKA 2 (Russia-3)
68. Bryan Cameron, C, Belleville (OHL)
69. Roman Bashkirov, LW, Quebec (QMJHL)
70. Brad Malone, W, Sioux Falls (USHL)
71. Juraj Valach, D, Tri-City (WHL)
72. Linden Rowat, G, Regina (WHL)
73. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, C, Dubendorf (Swiss-3);
74. T.J. Galiardi, W, Dartmouth (ECAC)
75. Niklas Lucenius , C, Tappara Jr. (Finland Jr.)
76. T.J Brennan, D, St. John's (QMJHL)
77. John Lee, D, Moorhead High (Minn.) (U.S. high school)
78. Jean-Simon Allard, C, St. John's (QMJHL)
79. Joakim Andersson, C, Frolunda Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
80. Ted Ruth, D, U.S. National U-18
81. Matthew Kang, LW, Kingston (OHL)
82. Alex Grant, D, Saint John (QMJHL)
83. Mark Owuya, G, Djurgarden Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
84. Michael Neal, LW, Belleville (OHL)
85. Olivier Fortier, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
86. Ian Cole, D, U.S. National U-18
87. Patrik Zackrisson, W, Rogle (Sweden-2)
88. Justin Leclerc, G, Lethbridge (WHL)
89. Joseph Lavin, D, U.S. National U-18
90. Artem Dubinin, D, Togliatti 2 (Russia-3)

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Hamill at 2???!!!

IMO...

No way Katic, Sutter, Veillieux go that high!

I have some issues with your rankings man. But I guess its your opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
IMO...

No way Katic, Sutter, Veillieux go that high!

I have some issues with your rankings man. But I guess its your opinion!

Katic is that high because he is the best skater in the draft and he can also handle the puck. He makes others around him better.

Sutter is that high because he has nothing wrong with his entire game. He can play effectivly in every situation. He is not a glam player but he is the type of player championship team need to have.

Veilleux is that high because he has so much potential and he is only getting better. Each game I have seen him play in he just grows by leaps and bounds. AggresivePF who can score? I say he will be one of the best in this draft.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I like some of your predictions with Hamill and Veilleux going higher, but I can't see Katic going higher than Alzner, as Alzner controls the puck as well as Katic, and plays a better all around game.

Alzner and Couture will NOT go that low.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
no colton sceviour or kurtis mucha? I find that hard to believe. Also, hickey would be a great pickup that late in the first. I do agree with you on hamill though, he's been vastly underrated.

If beach continues to play the way he has been you will see 3 years in a row where everett silvertips are picked in the top 10.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Well it is that time of year again. The time when some are brave (or just stupid) enough to share their opinion on prospect rankings with all of you.

First off I will say that this draft year does not seem to be a very strong draft year in the sense of any real elite or blue chip talent that we have grown accustom to headline the last few drafts. This draft class however is rather deep with mid/high level and potential sleeper prospects that could make some noise down the road in their development path to the pros. This draft year it would be a good time to draft based on team needs rather than the best available player style since the first, second and even into the third rounds are so balanced. I know there will be lots of debate on who should go where and why but honestly my own rankings change almost day by day.

Most of my viewings consist of live CHL games with limited live and recorded USHL, NCAA, and very limited viewings of European games via video and/or internet. I plan on reducing my CHL viewing content and boosting my minor US league (US high school, USHL and NAHL) and European league game coverage for the next couple months.
I am in awe that you have seen this many players play. Seriously. I don't see how anyone can question any of your picks considering I can't think of anyone else out there, in a non-professional setting who has seen this many prospects.

Fun list!

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Good list, Hamill really impressed me in Everett this year and in the Top Prospects game so it wouldn't suprise me to see him climb into the top 10 as the season goes on. I am not a fan of Katic's game. Yes, he's the best skater in the draft but he has absolutely zero physical presence and his defensive awareness is spotty at best. I'd be pissed if my team took him anywhere in the first two rounds, not to mention the top 10.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't think there's any point in nit-picking a mid-season ranking, and that said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some end-of-season NHL teams have private rankings that differ just as radically as this one with regard to some of the specific players vis-a-vis where the various scouting services have them ranked. The thing I like is just noticing how you can list 90 guys like that and see pretty straight away that there's a nice depth to the draft again this year. And the volatility and lack of clear consensus really ought to give the scouting staffs a good chance to earn their money this year. :clap:

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site

72. Linden Rowat, G, Regina (WHL)
73. Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, C, Dubendorf (Swiss-3);
74. T.J. Galiardi, W, Dartmouth (ECAC)
75. Niklas Lucenius , C, Tappara Jr. (Finland Jr.)
76. T.J Brennan, D, St. John's (QMJHL)
77. John Lee, D, Moorhead High (Minn.) (U.S. high school)
78. Jean-Simon Allard, C, St. John's (QMJHL)
79. Joakim Andersson, C, Frolunda Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
80. Ted Ruth, D, U.S. National U-18
81. Matthew Kang, LW, Kingston (OHL)
82. Alex Grant, D, Saint John (QMJHL)
83. Mark Owuya, G, Djurgarden Jr. (Sweden Jr.)
84. Michael Neal, LW, Belleville (OHL)
85. Olivier Fortier, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
86. Ian Cole, D, U.S. National U-18
87. Patrik Zackrisson, W, Rogle (Sweden-2)
88. Justin Leclerc, G, Lethbridge (WHL)
89. Joseph Lavin, D, U.S. National U-18
90. Artem Dubinin, D, Togliatti 2 (Russia-3)

Why so high on Galiardi?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Not bad, though I'm wondering about Pat Kane at 11. I like him better than Gagner right now.

Pat has an arrogance about him that I do not like. His on ice skills are oustanding, but, I see him as a one dimentional player who will be a liability if he never commits himself to playing defence on a consistent basis.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I like the fact that you're thinking outside the box, and are brave enough to post your thoughts for all to see.

I'd like to ask why you project Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i as a third rounder? Many others project him as a first rounder, possibly even in the top ten - have you seen something in him you dislike?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
I'd like to ask why you project Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i as a third rounder? Many others project him as a first rounder, possibly even in the top ten - have you seen something in him you dislike?

He doesn't have the drive. His work habits are suspect and he has a primadonna attitude. Other than that his skills are right up there. You can hope that he straightens out his attitude becasue he could be a steal, otherwise he could very well be a wasted pick.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just curious why you have Jeremy Smith and Bill Sweatt where you do. Do you think Smith overly benefits from a good defense or...?

Bryzga lol*

great list...I enjoy how you took a chance on several players. There's nothing set in stone in this draft other than Esposito probably landing in the top 3 or top 5.

One question, are the Bashkirovs really that far off? Any chance for Roman to go up higher?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad