Cups Annual Draft Guide...Released May 22nd.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
the more i think about it, the more i think he has a chanse to crack the top 10. i really dont think he will be around at #17.

wouldn't be surprised, but if he goes top 10, someone else falls.....hopefully someone with some offensive blue chip talents....

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
My hat goes off to you, Cup. Terrific job, especially considering you do it for free. This guide can rival most of the guides that people pay for, and is miles ahead of THN.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Wow - Great stuff cup! Excellent read, by far the best draft preview out there right now! Your profiles are spot on and informative. Thanks for getting this out to us for free! although you really should be getting paid to do what you do.

I see you took our Craig Smith talk to heart :)

Thanks X.

Can't wait to read your draft thoughts after the Mem. Cup is completed.

And ya, I first thought that Smith might be a backyard bargain but after hearing more and more about him I had to see for myself. I wish he had put up more numbers with all his talent, but I can see that he has nice potential and should get better minutes this coming year. You were bang on with him, as usual.

For those who would like to watch but are geographically unable too, you can catch Blackhawks games on USHL.TV for a small charge during the season.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
I was defending you. I was saying, "if he copied all his information from the boards, then why does he have some prospects totally out of whack with consensus?"

You did a good job and I hate it when people can look at a free, 118-page draft preview and think they have the right to rip it to shreds.

Thanks bud.

I don't mind a difference of opinion because if we all thought the same the world would be a boring place. I am sorry for mistaking you to be saying I was a plagiarist in your previous post.

Thanks for all the support and kind words all.

Chiclets24

Apr 12, 2004
same here - can't open.

Please PM -

Much appreciated.

PS - Just received my Draft Preview at Borders in NYC - I would like to compare thw quality with Cup's

X-SHARKIE

Thanks X.

Can't wait to read your draft thoughts after the Mem. Cup is completed.

And ya, I first thought that Smith might be a backyard bargain but after hearing more and more about him I had to see for myself. I wish he had put up more numbers with all his talent, but I can see that he has nice potential and should get better minutes this coming year. You were bang on with him, as usual.

For those who would like to watch but are geographically unable too, you can catch Blackhawks games on USHL.TV for a small charge during the season.

Yeah, with Craig it's all about physical maturity.. I've seen him up close several times and you can tell he still has one last growth spurt left.

If he doesn't get picked late in the draft this year, he could be the Trevor Lewis of 08.. a guy past up that comes back to bite teams in the you know what.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
NOTE: I was able to put a dry copy (no photos) up on a web page, hope this helps.

most definitely well done. I really enjoyed the read. I hope it pans out almost the way you have it. A lot of time and effort went into it, and I thank you for that.

Dont know if you are reading all the responses, but I have a name for you that I didnt see on your list. Eric Tangradi??? From the Belleville Bulls. I put him on my top 30 list as my sleeper first round pick. I didnt see him on your list, 6'3 210 lbs who stepped up in the playoffs, seems to atleast crack the 120, or have I put false promise on this kid? thanks again cup!

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
i can't get to it because megaupload and i have beef. i somehow exceeded the download limit, i think its because other kids at school are on similiar/same IP

Bégin is the bestest*

thanks, but the name of the team is canadiens, not canadians. and i don't think they'll draft two dmens. probably a forward and a dman.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Dont know if you are reading all the responses, but I have a name for you that I didnt see on your list. Eric Tangradi??? From the Belleville Bulls. I put him on my top 30 list as my sleeper first round pick. I didnt see him on your list, 6'3 210 lbs who stepped up in the playoffs, seems to atleast crack the 120, or have I put false promise on this kid? thanks again cup!

He has been up and down my lists all year but I just don't see enough talent in him to expect him to get past his consistency issue or lack of. Tangradi has some upside but I just can't explain why he was invisible all year long. He is above average at skating but after that I can't say anything else stands out besides his size. I have heard that he has smarts from others but from what I have seen all year is him skating away from the spots on the ice where he should be and is getting a lot of points from simply going to the net in the playoffs, somthing he didn't do enough of in the regular season. You could be right, he could be a sleeper if his development continues but for me he isn't safe enough to pick that high.

Others who have consistency issues, Keven Veilleux, have much more talent and he is listed by me at 50. I love the big body prospects but if they are too inconsistent and not skilled enough it is better to go with a more skilled yet smaller prospect and that is what I did when making my list.

Repik did a similar rise in the WHL playoffs yet over the past two season he has not lived up to his talent level and has shown me a lack of character/heart however if he does play with this type of consistency for much longer, it would be hard for me not to move him down into my top 50 for sure. Hope this answered your question.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
Thanks for all your hard work, loved the read

Hetre is a draft guide I made up from my many notes from viewings collected over the last year and a half. Hope you all enjoy.

Cup:)

ready here:
Cup's 2007 NHL Entry Draft Guide

NOTE: I was able to put a dry copy (no photos) up on a web page, hope this helps.

As a hab fan, shattenkirk, McDonough in the first rd works for me, wish we could get Sweatt and perron in the draft along with Aliu, perfect draft IMO

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Well I've been following many different draft boards, McKeen's, TSN, ESPN (yea, they actually do cover hockey!!) and all the other Canadian sites, and I must say Cup that this is the best presentation, analysis and honest read of the draftees I have ever seen. And looking at your previous year's comments, I can see where your detail work has been proven time and again. Everyone will miss once in a blue-moon (Stastny and Vlasic occupied your #98 and #99 spots in 2005), but NO ONE will ever be perfect! I think it's safe to say all of us agree that every GM in the league isn't, and they are paid far more than us to do this!!

For the guys who nitpick, that's your call. Do your own research, see what YOU think they can accomplish. But remember, every one of these players is just like you and me..... we're all human, we think, react and persevere in our own way. So unless Cup is a psychiatrist we'll never know how each guy deals with success and failure.

All I know is, this is the best draft work I've seen, and I look forward to many, many more posts from you as time goes on!

Chiclets24

Apr 12, 2004
The quality of this is superb.

In all seriousness, you should look into publishing it and/or getting it online for a fee - well done.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He has been up and down my lists all year but I just don't see enough talent in him to expect him to get past his consistency issue or lack of. Tangradi has some upside but I just can't explain why he was invisible all year long. He is above average at skating but after that I can't say anything else stands out besides his size. I have heard that he has smarts from others but from what I have seen all year is him skating away from the spots on the ice where he should be and is getting a lot of points from simply going to the net in the playoffs, somthing he didn't do enough of in the regular season. You could be right, he could be a sleeper if his development continues but for me he isn't safe enough to pick that high.

Others who have consistency issues, Keven Veilleux, have much more talent and he is listed by me at 50. I love the big body prospects but if they are too inconsistent and not skilled enough it is better to go with a more skilled yet smaller prospect and that is what I did when making my list.

Repik did a similar rise in the WHL playoffs yet over the past two season he has not lived up to his talent level and has shown me a lack of character/heart however if he does play with this type of consistency for much longer, it would be hard for me not to move him down into my top 50 for sure. Hope this answered your question.

Thanks for the response Cup, I appreciate it. I think that makes a lot of sense, you have to put weight on the way these players perform during the season, and not just on 1 tourney, playoffs, or a projection of what they should be.

I will say this though..imo, I just dont see him that far behind guys like Sutter, and Gillies who do get a lot of hype;i.e. draft rankings. I completely agree with your assesment of Tangradi, I just might be bassing things more on what he is capable of doing and what he "might" do next year and beyond. Vellieux is in the same boat too, I can see someone jumping on him pretty high too. For some reason, I just feel Tangradi is going to be taken really high like a Joe Finley or something of that nature. But once again, great job man, and thanks for the input.

p.s. you need to ask for a job at the Hockey News, they could use someone who ACTUALLY has a clue about prospects and potential. :handclap::handclap::handclap

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

You know, I was trying to think of this guy but I couldnt..

but I remember a few years back New Jersey going way off the board and drafting Adrian Foster I believe... Now he hasnt panned out to anything, and it really isnt backing up my theory!! hahaha But it does happen sometimes, where that 1 guy gets picked out of the blue.. I thought Fischer last year should have been a late second round pick imo, but he wound up pretty high. thanks again CUP..good stuff.

Bégin is the bestest*

Sorry, I make lots of spelling mistakes and my typing sucks too.

thats ok. i'm sorry for focussing on this, it's just that i hate it when people writes the name of my fav team in english.

you did a really good job, i like the player profiles, i don't think anyone else did somethign like this. insert gay smiley here: :handclap:

dank

Jan 11, 2006
NYC
hey, since i am having trouble with megaupload, can someone forward this via email?

i can PM them my email address, (or it might be in the profile)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->