Cups Annual Draft Guide...Released May 22nd.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Interesting ratings - agree with the top 20 on many levels. Interesting to see Cohen so high and Repik so low. Would appreciate your thoughts on those two.

Sure thing,

First off, Cohen has been underrated IMO by all this year, the kid can skate, has great offensive instincts and offensive tools as well as playing physical when needed. You have heard the saying "you can teach defense but not skill like that", well that is his story, he is not the best defensive defenseman available. If he was 5'10" 180Lbs he would be lower second round prospect but the fact he is 6'2" 200Lbs makes him a first rounder in my books.

With regards to Repik, I have seen him time and time again and have been left wondering if he is even interested in becoming an NHL player. He has spurts of offensive brilliance and then disapears for streches. I have questioned his determination and heart, similar to :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in this regard.

Hope that sheds light on my opinion of the two.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Looks huge and comprehensive, I haven't really looked through much but you did make one mistake (of my team of course, or I likely wouldn't notice it). The Lightning don't have the 16th pick, that was traded to the Ducks for Shane O'Brien. Doubtful you'll change the whole mock draft because of one traded pick, but I just wanted to mention it.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Hey Cup, if I may, why are you so down on Korostin. I understand your ranking him at 78 is where you think he'll be drafted, but I would think with his talent he should be ranked closer to the 30's. And on the subject, where do you think he'll be drafted?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Nice job, very well done.

Now, is it accurate? 'Cause that would make my life a whole lot easier. ;)

It is as accurate as my opinion can be, to me.

The thing about predicting prospects and their development is that it is only completely accurate to those who wrote it.

Check back in 5 years from now.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
nice job. one thing is i think the rangers need to go after someone with offensive ability. we are missing that type of player (1st liner) in our prospect pool. my money is on Lars.

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Looks huge and comprehensive, I haven't really looked through much but you did make one mistake (of my team of course, or I likely wouldn't notice it). The Lightning don't have the 16th pick, that was traded to the Ducks for Shane O'Brien. Doubtful you'll change the whole mock draft because of one traded pick, but I just wanted to mention it.

Sorry about that, I tried to be as accurate with the Mock Draft as possible.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First off, great job. A question I have is why is Eller rated 26th if you think he will become one of the best players from this draft?

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Good job Cup, you made a good list of what you read in these boards.

Some comments :
-Kent Patterson at 77th would be a steal.. no way he's going to end up that low.
-Nico Sacchetti is way better than you think
-Logan Macmillan seems quite low too, might go in first round.
-Antoine Lafleur wont be picked before 4 round.
-Kevin Marshall shall be drafted in top 35
-T.J Brennan is not likely to be drafted in the first round.
-Bill Sweatt will go way before 25th
I think you were very generous on the Boom or Bust Potential(cherepanov,mayorov.Hjalmarsson,Lars Eller)

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Hey Cup, if I may, why are you so down on Korostin. I understand your ranking him at 78 is where you think he'll be drafted, but I would think with his talent he should be ranked closer to the 30's. And on the subject, where do you think he'll be drafted?

Actually, I ranked him at 78th because of a few shortcomings that I believe will be hard to overcome. I think he is on the soft side and he disappears when he can't dominate on his skills. His develoment rate he has not impressed me very much, kind of stalled. This and that there were a lot of other prospects pushing him down my list.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Great work! :handclap:

Two questions... you have Tyson Sexsmith rated as the number 1 goalie. While I think he's often under-rated on a lot of lists, I also think he's a bit of a stretch as a 1st rounder. Anything in paticular that makes you think he's a better goalie than Smith or Cann? Also, in your mock you have Edmonton passing on Karl Alzner and drafting Ellerby instead... any reason why you think that will happen?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario

Some comments :
-Kent Patterson at 77th would be a steal.. no way he's going to end up that low.
I think you were very generous on the Boom or Bust Potential(cherepanov,mayorov.Hjalmarsson,Lars Eller)

That is all your opinin of my work and I respect that.

I do question why you make a statement like this "you made a good list of what you read in these boards" about me. I do my own research on prospects and although I do not get to see them all live and in games, I do get to see a lot of video clips sent from my friends and associates, worldwide. I do rely on a few close friends and their trusted opinions as well but I take what they tell me and form my own opinions.
Not sure why you said what you did?

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario
Great work! :handclap:

Two questions... you have Tyson Sexsmith rated as the number 1 goalie. While I think he's often under-rated on a lot of lists, I also think he's a bit of a stretch as a 1st rounder. Anything in paticular that makes you think he's a better goalie than Smith or Cann? Also, in your mock you have Edmonton passing on Karl Alzner and drafting Ellerby instead... any reason why you think that will happen?

The Sexsmith ranking is just one of those things where I think he may be the best out of this years goalies. I have seen 10 Vancouver games (not including the Mem. cup games) and every time I see him I'm impressed with his composure, tecqnique and mobility.

With regards to the Ellerby selection, Edmonton has been selecting strong skating prospects for the past while and He is right up their alley in that regard. I would give him an edge to Alzner in his skating and overall mobility. They could trade down a few spots and get the same player, if they can find a partner.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
That is all your opinin of my work and I respect that.

I do question why you make a statement like this "you made a good list of what you read in these boards" about me. I do my own research on prospects and although I do not get to see them all live and in games, I do get to see a lot of video clips sent from my friends and associates, worldwide. I do rely on a few close friends and their trusted opinions as well but I take what they tell me and form my own opinions.
Not sure why you said what you did?

Well , I notice the description of players are quite general, things you can find in these boards... I think you did not digg enough deep on some prospects. There's a lot of interestings facts on this year prospects. I prefer more personalised mock draft.. the one you put more emotions, more what you really think instead of what people tends to rank. You did a great job and i am very proud of this work, but its still a cold draft guide. Try to put more your own opinions and what you actually saw.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Well , I notice the description of players are quite general, things you can find in these boards... I think you did not digg enough deep on some prospects. There's a lot of interestings facts on this year prospects. I prefer more personalised mock draft.. the one you put more emotions, more what you really think instead of what people tends to rank. You did a great job and i am very proud of this work, but its still a cold draft guide. Try to put more your own opinions and what you actually saw.

I don't understand how you can put down his work like that. I think it's excellent, his reports were very well balanced between indepth scouting and player description, which makes it much more easy and fun to read than that of a real scouting agency like CSS while still making accurate reports on most aspects of the game.

I didn't want to bring my own report into the game, but I'm going to say that I tried to bring down the amount of technical scouting in order to make the reports less boring to read, but I'm now jealous because Cup did a very good job at keeping the reports very precise with an excellent overall readability; that's exactly what I wanted to do but he did it 10 times better.

It was also a great idea to include previous years' rankings, that way we can see how well you assessed the players previously.

Overall, amazing work. Seriously, I'm impressed, this is just a superb draft guide!

DanStewart

Jun 5, 2003
Sarnia, Ontario

Thanks for your insight, although, I do use my opinions and my personal notes.
I understand what you say you want but the majority of the posters here like a generalization of a prospects skills more than an indepth examination of each charateristic. Also, you would need to view a prospect many, many, tiomes to be able to accuratly give that indepht report you would like and I just don't have that amount of time.

calbruin

Jul 13, 2003
Fresno via Buffalo
Visit site
Excellent job! Can't wait to have time to going through it completely. Can I subscribe? I did note that you had TJ Brennan picked by Detroit(#27) and Florida(#29) in the mock. Again, great job!

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com

Some comments :

So which is it? Was he copying what he read on the boards, or is Brennan too low, etc.?

skg

Jul 29, 2005
This is a fantastic read. I've decided to save $5 by not buying the increasingly worthless THN Draft Preview this year, and peruse through this guide instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->