Cup or Bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensFanKenneth

Jun 12, 2018
I love that we have become a franchise wherein anything other than a Stanley Cup victory is a disappointment. As a 27 year old; I can remember the dark days of 02-05; the dread of potentially losing our beloved Penguins to some carpet bagging town like Kansas City! How far we have come; it’s such a fun time to be a fan of this team; 3 out of 4; it’s gonna happen. LETS GO PENS!!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
2 more cups in the Crosby/Malkin era to match the Patriots.

And this team will go down in history.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Every year it is Cup or bust when your core is all low 30's. The good news is we have no old players on the team. Most teams have some 34+ year old types and we have none. This team is going all in over the next 3 years because that is our best window. I actually think the chances get harder each year as that core gets closer and closer to those mid 30's. You still can compete with core players at 35 like the Sharks did when we faced them in the Cup but still is less chance each year. With that said all in each year and worry about the future later.

I personally want to tank for a couple years after Crosby and Malkin hang it up. That is the way to go to build a top Cup contender. Worked for the Pens last two decade plus playoff groups. When you rebuild you go all in with no half steps. That's why I never understand people on these boards that worry about trading picks. 1st round pick for a player that helps now is always worth it to me with Brassard, Kessel, Hagelin (1st used on Perron then Perron for Hagelin). I will always be up for trades like this when contending because those are not wasting 1st round picks on rentals which I don't like. Most late 1st round picks will not even become a Hagelin let alone a Brassard or Kessel type player. So the chances are slim to even be near the kind of players we get in the deal and the one third that does takes 4-5 years to do it. The window is now so I hope to not see a 1st round pick in the next draft. I will take a Skinner type player without question over a 1st round pick and a prospect which is his reported asking price.

Reactions: 99664987 and PaulD

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
3 cups is amazing for a teams core but I think Crosby/Malkin end up with 5 total. Imagine that? we will 1 up Kunitz unless he wins 2 more with us, then gets 6 total.

Reactions: PaulD

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Actually, I think Brady wins another SB...in a different uniform.

Yup

throwback-e1479403469584.png

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think they'll(Sid+G) push for 2 more in their careers(meaning reach the CF or Final). Doesn't mean they'll win them tho.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The truth is while it's fair to be greedy as a sports fan, the entire Crosby/Geno era is already set in stone as a success. There is no more "bust". The era was marked by that back to back and there is nothing left to do. If we don't win, shucks. It isn't great but oh well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The truth is while it's fair to be greedy as a sports fan, the entire Crosby/Geno era is already set in stone as a success. There is no more "bust". The era was marked by that back to back and there is nothing left to do. If we don't win, shucks. It isn't great but oh well.

Bite your tongue. I want MORE.

Reactions: Peat

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Because I've been spoiled with 3 SC wins and 4 SC appearances, I will be content with ECF appearance. Losing in the 2nd round feels underwhelming.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
If they can get to Eastern Conference Final and maybe win a couple of games and take Toronto to 6, I will consider that a successful season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad