Cup goes to court

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Some guys from Toronto have filed suit in Ontario courts about the cup being awarded "to the best team" in hockey for the year. It's on TSN, sportsnet etc

I don't think it should be awarded to a beer league champion, but if the IIHF or something can organize a tournament with respectable teams, why not do it. Screw the NHL anyway

http://tsn.ca/nhl

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
What a joke. Bunch of dorks try to find a loophole with the cup so they can raise it in a beer league. Would they like there names ingraved on it as well? :shakehead:

Lanny MacDonald*

Well, maybe they feel this is the best possible way for a team from Ontario to get a chance to hoist the cup above their heads after a championship? ;)

SPARTAKUS*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
What a joke. Bunch of dorks try to find a loophole with the cup so they can raise it in a beer league. Would they like there names ingraved on it as well? :shakehead:
I agree, this is a farce. the Stanley cup belongs to the NHL period.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The best team willing to challenge for and win the cup should get it for the year. If that's a women's senior citizen beer & tea league team so be it!

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
OTTSENS said:
I agree, this is a farce. the Stanley cup belongs to the NHL period.

the debates about this on this board have been fun to read.

BUT, the article does seem to clear up any and all ownership. One of the members who is in charge of the cup says that as long as the NHL exists, its their cup according to the agreement signed.

actually i just read the link and the line was removed. But there was a quote from a committee member of the Stanley Cup who said the Agreement is clear. As long as there is an NHL, they own the cup. The only way that can change is if they cease to exist.

Last edited:

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
X8oD said:
actually i just read the link and the line was removed. But there was a quote from a committee member of the Stanley Cup who said the Agreement is clear. As long as there is an NHL, they own the cup. The only way that can change is if they cease to exist.
If you are a trustee and you cannot make an agreement that violates the trust. So any agreement between the NHL and the trustees is invalid if it runs counter to the trust.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
dolfanar said:
1925 Stanley Cup Champions... Victoria Cougars. (80 year anniversary this year)

NHL was in existance... NHL team DIDN'T win the cup. The earth didn't stop revolving around the sun. Life went on. All is well.
well, The nhl had only been around for a few years at that point and certainly wasn't established like it is today. Back then it is reasonable to say the top hockey wasn't in the nhl.

Fish on The Sand said:
well, The nhl had only been around for a few years at that point and certainly wasn't established like it is today. Back then it is reasonable to say the top hockey wasn't in the nhl.

Not true. The NHL was basically a re-worked NHA (National Hockey Association), which went back to 1910. And still, this year the top hockey ISN'T in the NHL... :razz:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
dolfanar said:
Not true. The NHL was basically a re-worked NHA (National Hockey Association), which went back to 1910. And still, this year the top hockey ISN'T in the NHL... :razz:
yes it is, we just don't get to see it.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
They didn't force it to be awarded during the influenza outbreak, why should it be forced to be awarded now? I'd say the previous instance was a lot more legitimate reason for complain considering they were already playing the finals by the time it got cancelled.

Hoek said:
They didn't force it to be awarded during the influenza outbreak, why should it be forced to be awarded now? I'd say the previous instance was a lot more legitimate reason for complain considering they were already playing the finals by the time it got cancelled.

No, not hardly. The influenza year,the final was scheduled, and the teams gegan playing. ie. A legitimate and honest effort was made to award the cup to a worthy champion. In insurance terms, the crowning of a champion was interrupted by "an act of god".

This year the cup is not being challenged for because two sides are arguing over a cut of the prize money essentially. There is NO effort or intention of abiding by the tradition of awarding the cup to the best team (which was *supposed* to be the best Canadian amateur team, but whatever).

For all intents and purposes the NHL *has* ceased to exist this year.

Personally I'd love to see an invitational club tournament between the AHL Calder cup champions, CHL Memorial cup champs, maybe the ECHL champs, the American college champs, and the elite league champs from Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland.

It would be a fascinating tournament, IMO.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
dolfanar said:
No, not hardly. The influenza year,the final was scheduled, and the teams gegan playing. ie. A legitimate and honest effort was made to award the cup to a worthy champion. In insurance terms, the crowning of a champion was interrupted by "an act of god".

This year the cup is not being challenged for because two sides are arguing over a cut of the prize money essentially. There is NO effort or intention of abiding by the tradition of awarding the cup to the best team (which was *supposed* to be the best Canadian amateur team, but whatever).

For all intents and purposes the NHL *has* ceased to exist this year.

Personally I'd love to see an invitational club tournament between the AHL Calder cup champions, CHL Memorial cup champs, maybe the ECHL champs, the American college champs, and the elite league champs from Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland.

You can toss the CHL, NCAA, and ECHL teams out of there, because they'd be thoroughly embarassed.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
dolfanar said:

And the Stanley Cup Champions from that tournament wouldn't be allowed to defend their title the following year, same as the Lightning would be robbed of their chance to defend it this year. (Yes, I'm a Lightning fan and yes, I'm prejudiced, but they've robbed us of all the joy of winning the Cup, the least they can do is let us have a chance to defend the darn thing.)

Boltsfan2029 said:
And the Stanley Cup Champions from that tournament wouldn't be allowed to defend their title the following year, same as the Lightning would be robbed of their chance to defend it this year. (Yes, I'm a Lightning fan and yes, I'm prejudiced, but they've robbed us of all the joy of winning the Cup, the least they can do is let us have a chance to defend the darn thing.)

Well, the Lightning, in theory, could miss the playoffs and not defend the cup the following year. Same differance.

Epsilon said:
You can toss the CHL, NCAA, and ECHL teams out of there, because they'd be thoroughly embarassed.

I'm not so sure the level of play is quite that dramatic of a fall off. The Russian, Finland and Swedes might be able to "embarass" these teams, and possibly a well stocked AHL team, but I doubt it would be quite that one-sided, and I think you might see an upset or two.

For me, that would be the interest in this kind of tournament. You hear alot of talk about relative skill level between the leagues under the NHL... well this would be one of the only times you could put these guy's against each other in games that really "matter".

games I would be *very* curious to see

NCAA vs Canadian Junior
AHL vs ECHL
AHL vs Russia, Finland, Sweden, etc... (Where do the Calder Cup champions rank?)
Russia vs ther Euro leagues (Is Russia really #2 behind the NHL when the ante is as big as the stanley Cup?)

It wouldn't give a "difinitive" answer, but it would be great fodder for a hockey debate... what more can you ask for from a tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad