Culture, Dave Scott, and Hockey Ops discussion

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I could see the whole season being chalked up to Hart's struggles and Elliot aging. Fire the goalie coach bring in someone Hart is familiar with if they can. Get a new backup or promote Sandstrom/Ustimenko. Add a RHD to pair with Provorov. Then see what happens to start next year. If things are bad then AV and co are gone.

Reactions: renberg

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
There are a lot of hard questions facing the club personnel wise but there are some interesting options. The biggest question facing the club is will Couturier stay here long term at 9M per and will Giroux accept playing at a salary of $5M or less? I think that SC would take that offer; not so sure about G. One can see by the way the G is being used, at best he is a 2 wing or 3C in the coach's eyes. Couturier and Hayes are 1C and 2C respectfully. For that reason, I can see Giroux asking to be traded. Couturier then becomes the next captain of the team. Then, since they are friends, Voracek gets moved out one way or the other. JVR can be kept; shorter term, scores and has worked hard to improve his overall game this season.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see one of the three young defensemen moved. Hard to judge Myers based on this season's play; injuries and unsettled partnership hasn't helped him. Still, big mobile RHDs are hard to find. Who knows what's up with Provorov? He's not what he's shown this season but he also is no Norris candidate. Needs a constant partner who fits his skills. Sanheim probably has the best future ahead of him of the three young guys but could be moved for that reason.
Somehow, I see the Flyers and the Flames doing a huge deal this offseason. Gaudreau coming to Philly along with others. Probably Sanheim leaving along with one or two other guys. Matching the salaries to do the deed will be tricky but it can be worked out.
Ghost's improved play over the last month or so makes me think that he should probably scout the real estate market in Seattle.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I could see the whole season being chalked up to Hart's struggles and Elliot aging. Fire the goalie coach bring in someone Hart is familiar with if they can. Get a new backup or promote Sandstrom/Ustimenko. Add a RHD to pair with Provorov. Then see what happens to start next year. If things are bad then AV and co are gone.

Neither are even close to NHL goalies right now.

Sandstrom stinks and Usti has been hurt all year.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
My issue with the organisation is that we have absolutely no identity anymore. We aren't skilled enough to be a skill team. We aren't mean, we arent big, we aren't fast. We are middle ground in everything.

Snider spent years cultivating the big bad bullies. The city thrives off that reputation. Teams were visibly scared to play in the Spectrum. You can create sucessful teams off the back of a reputation. Let it dominate your draft, your FA signings, your culture.

Take a step back, re-evaluate who you are, and embrace the hate again. Draft and sign height and weight. Sign your coaches that want you to mix it up. To play with absolute hatred. There are players in this league that still bring intimidation. Fill the team full of them. Just become that horrible, nasty bastard team again. Sacrifice skill if you need to. Sacrifice the better player for the one that can someone is going to hate.

It appeases the casual fan, it draws in the old time hockey crowd, it gives us something to say "this is who we are".

We haven't been anything for 20 years other than a mediocre mess. Calgary are a mess right now, go get yourself Tkchuck, he's a POS. Go grt yourself a Reaves, a Wilson, a Martin, a Clutterbuck. Keep the likes of Morin and just roll line after line of people that batter the shit out of teams.

Become the blue collar team you used to be.

Fill your bottom 6 with horrible :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Well then new backup it is...
upload_2021-4-15_16-25-29.png

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
My issue with the organisation is that we have absolutely no identity anymore. We aren't skilled enough to be a skill team. We aren't mean, we arent big, we aren't fast. We are middle ground in everything.

Snider spent years cultivating the big bad bullies. The city thrives off that reputation. Teams were visibly scared to play in the Spectrum. You can create sucessful teams off the back of a reputation. Let it dominate your draft, your FA signings, your culture.

Take a step back, re-evaluate who you are, and embrace the hate again. Draft and sign height and weight. Sign your coaches that want you to mix it up. To play with absolute hatred. There are players in this league that still bring intimidation. Fill the team full of them. Just become that horrible, nasty bastard team again. Sacrifice skill if you need to. Sacrifice the better player for the one that can someone is going to hate.

It appeases the casual fan, it draws in the old time hockey crowd, it gives us something to say "this is who we are".

We haven't been anything for 20 years other than a mediocre mess. Calgary are a mess right now, go get yourself Tkchuck, he's a POS. Go grt yourself a Reaves, a Wilson, a Martin, a Clutterbuck. Keep the likes of Morin and just roll line after line of people that batter the shit out of teams.

Become the blue collar team you used to be.

Fill your bottom 6 with horrible :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
The problem now is they would all be suspended.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Islanders do that, and they seem to be alright.

Playing physical doesn't mean dirty or fighting, it means fighting for every puck, going to the net, clearing your crease, taking the opportunity to make clean hits in the flow of the game, and be willing to take hits to maintain puck possession, and of course, block shots.

They haven't turned the NHL into the Ice Capades quite yet.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Islanders do that, and they seem to be alright.

Playing physical doesn't mean dirty or fighting, it means fighting for every puck, going to the net, clearing your crease, taking the opportunity to make clean hits in the flow of the game, and be willing to take hits to maintain puck possession, and of course, block shots.

They haven't turned the NHL into the Ice Capades quite yet.

NYI have a great coach who gets the most out of any roster. We don't.

We go that route and we'll just suck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can play physical in almost any scheme, it's a mindset, some players shy away from contact, some enjoy it.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Actually i think this franchise is stacked with problems!

1. Dave Scott has no idea of the sport and no interest in the Flyers. He just want to make money. He will hire anyone who say he can earn the most money with this franchise for Comcast. That mostly is a bad thing in Pro Sport. We saw this in the Premier League with Manchester City and others. They played the highest cost players but have had no system and the players dont work together. They won nothing in the first years with their money. They started to get more Football minds in their Team and make trades with knowledge and system. They had a lot success after that.

2. The Player development is a disgrace! Player playing oversea vs men in leagues better or equal to the AHL are ignored alot of times. The coach and the whole system in the AHL is horrible. They dont play the young players with talent. NAK was a promising 2nd Round pick. Got no PP time. They signing old veterans every year that are worst then their young guns. But the young guns get benched every year or are loosing confidence cause they need to play with stonehand Teammates. Ive no problem with signing veteran players who actually leading the team, the defense, the locker room. Who are carrying the offense in most games. Young players can learn a lot from role player! But i dont know one good veteran in the last 5 years playing for us in the AHL.

3. Goaltending: We should be worst franchise in the last 15 Years when it comes to goaltending. Nevertheless we have Kim Dillabaugh since 2015!! Yeah he has a great track record in LA with Quick, Bernier and others. But he seems not to work here. Go new ways. I cant accept to suck with your goalies for 15 years. Try new things can give you life back, doing nothing and you stay dead.
The signed Goalies are another Problem. We have had the most injury prone Goalie in the league in Neuvirth, but resign him nevertheless. We have Moose who was to old and done. We resign him nevertheless. We have had Mason who was clearly lost his confidence and dont work in our franchise. We resign him nevertheless. We have had a good prospect in Bobrovsky. We sign a overated (and most hockey people have know it before the contract was signed!) Bryzgalov for 9 Years! The young promising goalie was traded for peanuts and went to be one of the best goalies in the next 7 - 8 years!

4. Friendship, Culture Club, exploiting relationships, locker room presence, veteran leadership, plays the right way and so on: We are a franchise where people will be stay longer as it should be. Every player gets glory for playing here and the franchise is unable to make hard cuts. This sport is playing in a cap world. You need to sell players when they are still usefull to get something back, before they fall of a cliff. We saw so many players who got a new contract or werent selled when they would get you a good return. This franchise is also too friendly with players who may or may not deserve anything from us. Lappy lost his eye playing for us. I love him as a player. And i thought it was a nice idea to get him in the Staff. Fact we are loosing a lot since Lappy is in the staff. It would have been time to move on from him 3 years ago! Gordon has done a few things for this franchise in difficult times. But that dont deserve and AHL coaching job for his lifetime, without controll or reality check. The upper managment of our franchise is full of old dinos! They think hockey in stereotypes from 30 years ago! They hiring Manager and Coaches who think the same way. They are signing and trading for players thinking and playing this way.

5. Coaching in the NHL. ENUFF IS SAID

6. Retooling over Tanking. The Draft system in the USA is a nice thing. But it also has negative effects. One effect is that you need to be bad to be good later. Most of the time you cant sign free agents till you win the Stanley Cup. Most of the time you need to develop you own talent and draft your own talent. Also most of the time you need top 5 draft picks to have impact players. You can fill your Roster with good players (say Konecny, Sanheim, Lindblom) and they will work wunderfull. But you need 2 or 3 bonafide superstars in your team. #1 dman (Provorov isnt that), No1 Center (Couts) and a #1 Goalie (maybe Hart). The chance of failling a retool is alot higher than failling drafting 1-5 overall. I love our young guys and i wish they would develop into what i think they can. But it seems like rebuilding would be the better idea next time.

7. No identity, no vision, no plan, no structure. We dont have any plan. The Coaches arent working together system wise (Gordon plays a whole lot other hockey than AV), the coach said he doesnt even look games from our young guns in a franchise in the middle of a retool. The most important young players get benched for bad perfomances without explaining anything.

Ok i need to stop here.

thx for reading my text wall! :popcorn:;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad