Red Sox/MLB Cubs’ Theo Epstein stepping down as president of baseball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Apparently JD has been one of the more unlucky hitters in the league. His expected homers to actual hDoesn’t help that he looks a little lost without being able to evaluate his swing on video

I feel like he will be fine next year. I’m basically giving ppl who struggle this year a mulligan, weird f***ing season. He could just be getting old though
This guy can’t hit without video? Go home and watch video. What a phoney.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

That phony has been an absolute monster for us up until this joke of a season, I’m willing to cut the guy a little slack in these unusual circumstances

Also missed the part where I said he’s been one of the more unlucky hitters in the league.

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

@CDJ mentioned the home run discrepancy between actual home runs and expected home runs, but you can also add BABIP. He's at .256 this year when his career average is .342. Now, you normalize both of those and he might still not be having a good year, but I'm willing to just write it off as a horrifically unlucky year for him.

My one concern is that his exit velocity is down this year, and his HardHit% is down as well.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wish JD would trash the President just to wake up to the tweet tomorrow the ‘Mendoza Line’ per Executive Order is being names ‘JD Martinez under 200 Line‘

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m rooting hard for Chavis & Dalbec. (Sorry Mazz) these guys are both very good athletes they aren’t just hacking away)

Dalbec power is legendary but Chavis has the 4th highest home run distance in baseball over past 2 years for players with at least 20 homers impressive

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
This why Pete Rose is not a HoFer.

1. OF/1B/3B Pete Rose's .409 SLG% is 935th all time. He played the 3 most slugging positions and there are 934 guys ahead of him! :eek:

2. He only has 1041 XBHs out of 4256 hits. That's less than 25%! :eek:

3. It took him more than 14k ABs to compile less WAR than Bagwell did in less than 7800 ABs! :eek:

4. After 24 seasons he's not even top 1000 in defensive WAR! :eek:

5. I loved him as a kid in the 70s more than any Millennial ever has, but he's just not a HoFer. He belongs out.

Last edited:

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
This why Pete Rose is not a HoFer.

1. OF/1B/3B Pete Rose's .409 SLG% is 935th all time. He played the 3 most slugging positions and there are 934 guys ahead of him! :eek:

2. He only has 1041 XBHs out of 4256 hits. That's less than 25%! :eek:

3. It took him more than 14k ABs to compile less WAR than Bagwell did in less than 7800 ABs! :eek:

4. After 24 seasons he's not even top 1000 in defensive war! :eek:

5. I loved him as a kid in the 70s more than any Millennial ever has, but he's just not a HoFer. He belongs out.
Also, he bet on baseball.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m rooting hard for Chavis & Dalbec. (Sorry Mazz) these guys are both very good athletes they aren’t just hacking away)

Dalbec power is legendary but Chavis has the 4th highest home run distance in baseball over past 2 years for players with at least 20 homers impressive

Chavis reminds me of Tony Armas, strictly a mistake hitter. If the bases are loaded and the starter is tiring, leave Chavis in. If they bring in a fresh arm, pinch hit. Love that he can play anywhere and do a good job.

Dalbec reminds me of Kingman. Unreal power. I have more faith in Dalbec improving his hitting. Also looks good in the field, but he needs to work around the bag at first. Doesn't seem to find the bag easily. In time, with his size and athleticism, he could be an excellent fielding first baseman.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Chavis reminds me of Tony Armas, strictly a mistake hitter. If the bases are loaded and the starter is tiring, leave Chavis in. If they bring in a fresh arm, pinch hit. Love that he can play anywhere and do a good job.

Dalbec reminds me of Kingman. Unreal power. I have more faith in Dalbec improving his hitting. Also looks good in the field, but he needs to work around the bag at first. Doesn't seem to find the bag easily. In time, with his size and athleticism, he could be an excellent fielding first baseman.

Chavis is a better defender than I anticipated he would be but he’s still a minus glove. Just not a total butcher. If he can figure out the high fastball he become an incredibly valuable utility guy due to that versatility and power

There’s this guy named Eric Van who is a Harvard graduate and major stats guy. Basically John Henry discovered him on Sons of Sam Horn and hired him to do some analytical work for the team with Theo back in the day. I’ve recently seen analysis he has done on Chavis and it’s fascinating- Chavis is a miserable hitter coming off of days off and is actually a great hitter when you let him get in a rhythm and play him regularly. Kind of jives with what we see from him- he’s kind of like Mookie or a streak shooter in the NBA where if you let them warm up and get in a rhythm damage follows. They’re microwaves,

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Reminds me off a right side Matt Olson at the plate and in the field -some tools to work with

if Chavis can learn to avoid high heat and breaking stuff off the plate he could be very valuable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->