Red Sox/MLB Cubs’ Theo Epstein stepping down as president of baseball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
Theo Epstein resigns as Cubs' president effective this Friday, 11/20, next destination rumored to be either Mets or Phillies.

Reactions: BMC

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Don't remember this dude at all as a player. That of course doesn't matter but nonetheless.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Did you guys see Theo's quote on the state of the game? For an admitted nerd, very big of him to say what he said. To steal a line from Felger if he was right in front of me I'd kiss him. In fact, they should fire Manfred immediately and offer Theo the job.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from cbssports.com:

The Red Sox have signed former Padres outfield prospect Michael Gettys to a minor-league contract, reports WEEI.com's Rob Bradford. Gettys, 25, is a former second-round pick, though strikeouts have held him back at the minor-league level. He authored a .256/.305/.517 batting line with 31 home runs in 128 Triple-A games in 2019 and spent 2020 at San Diego's alternate site. Gettys has huge raw power and Boston will try to help him make more contact so he can tap into that power at the MLB level.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ll take .220 with pop and great defense in CF

that’s an interesting kid to bring into the fold. He was always pretty age advanced for his level and he was part of the deepest system in the game so he kind of gets lost in the 40 man shuffle. Tons of K’s tho

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Thought this was interesting

Bodes well for Blaze Jordan, I believe. He got a positive report from instructs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Matt Hall and Ryan Weber DFA’d. Kyle Hart outrighted. Made room for 7 additions to the 40 man (Wong, Groome, Rosario, Bazardo, Seabold, Potts)

Reports on Groome at instructs were not positive. Apparently looked out of shape and his fastball + curve had ticked down

Bazardo on the other hand was sitting 95-96 with an elite curve. He’s a reliever but could end up in the major league bullpen quickly

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Matt Hall and Ryan Weber DFA’d. Kyle Hart outrighted. Made room for 7 additions to the 40 man (Wong, Groome, Rosario, Bazardo, Seabold, Potts)

Reports on Groome at instructs were not positive. Apparently looked out of shape and his fastball + curve had ticked down

Bazardo on the other hand was sitting 95-96 with an elite curve. He’s a reliever but could end up in the major league bullpen quickly

Disappointing on Groome. Wasn’t there talk he was “back” as a top prospect? The total opposite on Bazardo. I love hard throwing guys out of the pen. Hope he makes it! Hadn’t heard of him until this thread haha

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Disappointing on Groome. Wasn’t there talk he was “back” as a top prospect? The total opposite on Bazardo. I love hard throwing guys out of the pen. Hope he makes it! Hadn’t heard of him until this thread haha

yeah there had been some solid reviews of him from Sim City, the negative reports caught me by surprise too

And yeah they had left Bazardo exposed to the rule 5 last year when he was operating in the low 90s with a good hook, apparently that ticked up to the mid 90s with a great hook. It’s very rare to see somebody not get protected one year then protected the next but it speaks to the leap he took. He wasn’t even at the alternate site

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I saw highlights of Groome in Providence over the summer and he looked pretty good. I wonder what happened between that and fall instructs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I saw highlights of Groome in Providence over the summer and he looked pretty good. I wonder what happened between that and fall instructs.

Yeah, I think the Sox prospects guys had him at 6’6 250+ right now on their most recent podcast. He’s always going to be big but he’s gotta watch his size. Need him working out with Sale again

they added him to the 40 man so they clearly aren’t incredibly concerned but hopefully he was just taking it easy down at the instructs since he had been at the alternate site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad