Red Sox/MLB Cubs’ Theo Epstein stepping down as president of baseball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Of course the Sox are interested. Tom Werner is salivating at the thought of Jon Lester homecoming night and selling a bunch of #31 shirseys. Plus our rotation needs all the help it can get

I think the bigger question is does Lester want to come back and work for Henry and Werner after they lowballed him 7 years ago.

Lester seems open to it. He won a ring in Chicago. Life moves on. Bygones and all that.

"Former Red Sox ace Jon Lester is open to returning to Boston once his contract with the Cubs expires, he told WEEI’s Rob Bradford.
“I’m open-minded to anything,” Lester said. “Absolutely it would be cool to go back and finish my career where it all started. But, I’ve got a little time before I really have to sit down and weigh that decision, even if it’s something where they want me back. Hopefully, I’m still a good enough caliber pitcher that the want of my services will still be out there for people. We’ll see.”"

Reactions: EvilDead

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Lester seems open to it. He won a ring in Chicago. Life moves on. Bygones and all that.

"Former Red Sox ace Jon Lester is open to returning to Boston once his contract with the Cubs expires, he told WEEI’s Rob Bradford.
“I’m open-minded to anything,” Lester said. “Absolutely it would be cool to go back and finish my career where it all started. But, I’ve got a little time before I really have to sit down and weigh that decision, even if it’s something where they want me back. Hopefully, I’m still a good enough caliber pitcher that the want of my services will still be out there for people. We’ll see.”"
Personally I’n only curious if Blooms interested or not. Lester, Werner, Henry great but what about the guy we brought in to be the architect? If he thinks Lesters a fit for baseball reasons and baseball reasons only then great sign me up. I hope and trust Bloom makes zero decisions based on selling tickets and jerseys. That’s the nonsense I’ve hoped gets weeded out of this ownership by this GM. Just hope they let him instill his full vision without interfering

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Personally I’n only curious if Blooms interested or not. Lester, Werner, Henry great but what about the guy we brought in to be the architect? If he thinks Lesters a fit for baseball reasons and baseball reasons only then great sign me up. I hope and trust Bloom makes zero decisions based on selling tickets and jerseys. That’s the nonsense I’ve hoped gets weeded out of this ownership by this GM. Just hope they let him instill his full vision without interfering

There's no way that crew doesn't interfere. And the GM works for them not the other way around. If they tell him to make a move for non baseball reasons Bloom has just 3 options- do it & keep his job, do it but resign in protest or not do it & get fired. :(

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
There's no way that crew doesn't interfere. And the GM works for them not the other way around. If they tell him to make a move for non baseball reasons Bloom has just 3 options- do it & keep his job, do it but resign in protest or not do it & get fired. :(
I understand all this it’s just super annoying when they do it. For all his warts Dave D did exactly what they asked of him and he gets canned for it. Watch Dr Creepy will feel the financial pain from ticket sales and demand Bloom add a ‘sexy or splashy’ name and were right back to where we started. Let the genius genius

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

They’ll have to protect him in the Rule 5. Was kinda surprised he didn’t get plucked last year tbh

Also says Gilberto Jimenez added a bunch of muscle and looks like a running back. No longer a slap and dash hitter.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

They’ll have to protect him in the Rule 5. Was kinda surprised he didn’t get plucked last year tbh

Sounds like a potentially electric arm. I want hurlers coming out of the pen. Can you explain the significance of the RPM for baseball? Taking a wild guess: harder to pick up as a hitter?

Also says Gilberto Jimenez added a bunch of muscle and looks like a running back. No longer a slap and dash hitter.

All I’ll say is thank god for SoxProspects haha

Reactions: CDJ

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sounds like a potentially electric arm. I want hurlers coming out of the pen. Can you explain the significance of the RPM for baseball? Taking a wild guess: harder to pick up as a hitter?

All I’ll say is thank god for SoxProspects haha
More movement, harder to pick up, etc.

A spin rate of hovering around 3000 is really really good. If he has any type of command, good luck with that with 2 strikes.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I'd personally love to see Lester come back. It would help a lot to have a person like him in the locker room. Hopefully wash away some of the nonsense created by David Price and the like over the past couple of seasons.

Reactions: Mione134

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'd personally love to see Lester come back. It would help a lot to have a person like him in the locker room. Hopefully wash away some of the nonsense created by David Price and the like over the past couple of seasons.

Correct me if I’m mistaken but wasn’t Lester a fried chicken and beer guy?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Correct me if I’m mistaken but wasn’t Lester a fried chicken and beer guy?

"Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester admitted today that he drank beer in the clubhouse during some games this season and that, “it was the wrong thing to do.” But he was adamant that such behavior was not to blame for the team’s September collapse.
“There’s a perception out there that we were up there getting hammered and that wasn’t the case,” Lester told The Globe via telephone from his home in Georgia. “Was it a bad habit? Yes. I should have been on the bench more than I was. But we just played bad baseball as a team in September. We stunk. To be honest, we were doing the same things all season when we had the best record in baseball.”
Lester said the drinking was confined to starting pitchers who weren’t in the game that day.
“It was a ninth-inning rally beer,” he said. “We probably ordered chicken from Popeye’s like once a month. That happened. But that’s not the reason we lost.
Are there things I regret? Sure there are," Lester said to the Globe. "But nothing happened that had me unprepared to pitch. I don't blame people for wanting answers because had a hell of a team and we lost. You can't have a team that gets paid like we get paid and loses and not expect people to want answers
."

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
No. That was Beckett, Papelbon and Lackey.

I mean the quote above that Mione supplies from Lester himself seems to say otherwise

I’m not against bringing him back for cheap but I just find it funny that people pick and choose who gets shit for what

Reactions: shoulders7

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I mean the quote above that Mione supplies from Lester himself seems to say otherwise

I’m not against bringing him back for cheap but I just find it funny that people pick and choose who gets shit for what

I am only saying that because I don't remember if he was a part of it.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Not sure why people want Lester here beyond nostalgia. Guy’s gonna be 38 soon and hasn’t been very good since 2018. They already have guys in house to compete for the 5th spot

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Not sure why people want Lester here beyond nostalgia. Guy’s gonna be 38 soon and hasn’t been very good since 2018. They already have guys in house to compete for the 5th spot
He's 36, will be 37 in January. If they can bring in Lester at a good number, I dont see why he couldnt help.

Reactions: EvilDead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->