CSW

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Little hasn’t played on the wing since his rookie year(maybe a year after that as well but I’m not positive). How could you even come to this conclusion when he has played center for so long? Seems like making stuff up. :huh:

No his most productive goal scoring year I think he played wing. I'll be honest the way he plays he is much more of a winger. He doesnt possess the speed or size to be an effective top 2 center. I've played against him and I didnt see it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
No his most productive goal scoring year I think he played wing. I'll be honest the way he plays he is much more of a winger. He doesnt possess the speed or size to be an effective top 2 center. I've played against him and I didnt see it.

He also scored 30 when Tobb White had a career year and Slava Kozlov had his last big year. Wouldn’t read much into it.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
He also scored 30 when Tobb White had a career year and Slava Kozlov had his last big year. Wouldn’t read much into it.

For what he is at 6mil he is a massive over pay, looking for ways to maximize his value to the team is the job of the coach, so we are pretty much screwed.

Reactions: hudster

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
where did you get this from? I want to see how CSW ranks league wide in CF%, GF, GA (totals and per 60 rates) and in 5v5 mins

I was a big supporter of CSW last season when they were good, this season they have been really bad, esp for a 1st line. I looked at the lines that had the highest icetime for each team in the NHL and CSW ranks:

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

Average Corsi For % across all teams' lines with the highest icetime is 53.55%. CSW are 49.69%

Average xGoalsFor % across all teams' lines with the highest icetime is 54.17%. CSW are 48.43%

With Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler, that line has been much better and along the lines of a good top line in the NHL.

Data of these "top lines" here: Share CSV files online - ShareCSV

Hopefully when Ehlers is back he gets put back on that line and Mo doesn't dick around with CSW and ELL again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I was a big supporter of CSW last season when they were good, this season they have been really bad, esp for a 1st line. I looked at the lines that had the highest icetime for each team in the NHL and CSW ranks:

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

Average Corsi For % across all teams' lines with the highest icetime is 53.55%. CSW are 49.69%

Average xGoalsFor % across all teams' lines with the highest icetime is 54.17%. CSW are 48.43%

With Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler, that line has been much better and along the lines of a good top line in the NHL.

Hopefully when Ehlers is back he gets put back on that line and Mo doesn't dick around with CSW and ELL again.
you the real MVP. i know Likes are meaningless but have them all

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

Not even middle of the pack.

Question:
How does
Ladd Little Wheeler line stack up against CSW?

Maurice commented that he likes how the line plays the other time.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Not even middle of the pack.

Question:
How does
Ladd Little Wheeler line stack up against CSW?

Maurice commented that he likes how the line plays the other time.
Other than the 12-13 season, LLW were a legitimately good top line. Even during 12-13 which was a down year for them, they were better than CSW has been this year and were still over 50% in the relevant 5 on 5 metrics.

Reactions: PhilJets

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
How much of the problem on the CSW Line is Wheeler and his drop in 5v5 play?

There isn't any meaningful data of their play apart from each other. When they've both been in the lineup, Wheeler has been on the ice without Scheifele 38:16 this season and 60:55 last season. They have been basically clued together the past 2 seasons.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Probably. 'Laine's hockey IQ is on another level, no one on the team is smart enough to play with him. We need to trade everyone to find someone smart enough to play with Laine.'
I get the sarcasm, but I think his hockey IQ is very high, unfortunately his hockey flexibility is very low. He does weird shit, like if a pass is a bit off he lets it go, or if no one is in perfect location he doesn't pass....etc etc. He doesn't yet understand the randomness of hockey. Once he learns to just play the odds in the best way possible in order to keep the puck moving, he'll be a better player. That all sounds a bit convoluted, basically he needs to stop thinking about perfect plays and just play.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

I am pretty certain that Mo will do exactly that! He will never give up on ELL/CSW or even split Scheif and Wheels. Maybe in a couple of years when Wheels is def too old and the current youngsters hit their prime.

Thank you for a good (and very telling) post

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

I am pretty certain that Mo will do exactly that! He will never give up on ELL/CSW or even split Scheif and Wheels. Maybe in a couple of years when Wheels is def too old and the current youngsters hit their prime.

This does seem like it's a coaching issue more than anything. It's amazing to me that someone can be so narrow-minded for the sake of either own ego.

Change the lines Paul, it's not all about you.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Best in the West in one of the best in the NHL. The Winnipeg Jets.

But change it up Paul I'm bored!

Go take a walk. Get some air.

You don't really believe this team is the best in the West do you? The talk all year has been "when will the Jets play to their potential". We haven't seen it yet, they get out shot consistently, saved by great goaltending from LB and Helly.

We give up a bunch of shots in high danger areas this season, and don't produce a whole lot of our own.

The lines aren't working the way they are. Period.

Maybe we miss Armia and Enstrom?

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
StzvgIz.png

GyjBt0W.png

This line combo is relatively overrated; granted they've also been cratered by the amount of goals against (combination of Hellebuyck's early struggles and prime chances given up against because of lackluster defensive zone play by the trio). Still, Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler is the best "top line" combo by a mile in this season and the last, but the lack of playing Scheifele or Wheeler with anyone not named Connor or Ehlers barring injury is really restricting our view of what an optimal lineup could look like.

I get the idea of sticking with something for consistency's sake and building chemistry, but I've discussed this before nearly 1.5 years ago. Jets have a talented lineup but are overloading it in their top 6, partly because of injury (Ehlers) but partly because of an unchanging first, second, and third pairings (Scheifele-Wheeler; Little-Laine; Lowry-Tanev). It's frustrating, at the very least.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
You don't really believe this team is the best in the West do you? The talk all year has been "when will the Jets play to their potential". We haven't seen it yet, they get out shot consistently, saved by great goaltending from LB and Helly.

We give up a bunch of shots in high danger areas this season, and don't produce a whole lot of our own.

The lines aren't working the way they are. Period.

Maybe we miss Armia and Enstrom?

I was just lightening the mood up.

I think the Jets are playing to their potential and are the best in the West. I don't have unrealistic expectations for the team. There's a lot of inexperience in that lineup. And NHL teams play a bazzlilion games a year. The standings are a pretty damn good indication of how good a team is.

Getting frustrated with this team right now just doesn't make sense. If someone thinks they're Tampa grade and just not playing up to that due to line combinations, well get used to being frustrated.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I was just lightening the mood up.

I think the Jets are playing to their potential and are the best in the West. I don't have unrealistic expectations for the team. There's a lot of inexperience in that lineup. And NHL teams play a bazzlilion games a year. The standings are a pretty damn good indication of how good a team is.

Getting frustrated with this team right now just doesn't make sense. If someone thinks they're Tampa grade and just not playing up to that due to line combinations, well get used to being frustrated.

I don't think they are Tampa level.

I think the Jets are a middling team with great goaltending.

When a team isn't playing well, I would think trying to move players around in the line up would be a great way to try and spark the team.

Excellent goaltending can only keep you in it for so long, eventually being out played and out shot will show in the win and loss columns

Reactions: Mbraunm

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
StzvgIz.png

GyjBt0W.png

This line combo is relatively overrated; granted they've also been cratered by the amount of goals against (combination of Hellebuyck's early struggles and prime chances given up against because of lackluster defensive zone play by the trio). Still, Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler is the best "top line" combo by a mile in this season and the last, but the lack of playing Scheifele or Wheeler with anyone not named Connor or Ehlers barring injury is really restricting our view of what an optimal lineup could look like.

I get the idea of sticking with something for consistency's sake and building chemistry, but I've discussed this before nearly 1.5 years ago. Jets have a talented lineup but are overloading it in their top 6, partly because of injury (Ehlers) but partly because of an unchanging first, second, and third pairings (Scheifele-Wheeler; Little-Laine; Lowry-Tanev). It's frustrating, at the very least.
the defense of this line this year is astonishing, wow!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Mo was playing Ehlers with Scheifele and Laine for a while before Ehlers went down so I have hope. CSW's goals against has been so bad and ESW's so good that I think even Maurice will have a hard time justifying not reuniting that line when Ehlers is healthy. On the other hand Mo loves putting ELL together so you never know.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
StzvgIz.png

GyjBt0W.png

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

this needs to be brought to PoMo's attention

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Been a bit stale lately but CSW is still a great line
When Ehlers returns I hope to see either ESW or ESL (Laine)

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Been a bit stale lately but CSW is still a great line
When Ehlers returns I hope to see either ESW or ESL (Laine)

27/31 in Corsi For %

26/31 in xGoalsFor %

27/31 in Goals For %

StzvgIz.png

GyjBt0W.png

In the light of these posts, CSW has been the opposite of a great 1st line. They are BAD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->