CSW

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
The way 29 has been playing for quite a While is why he is not with 55, playing against other teams best Laine will get destroyed, then the narrative can switch to its Sheifs fault.

Probably. 'Laine's hockey IQ is on another level, no one on the team is smart enough to play with him. We need to trade everyone to find someone smart enough to play with Laine.'

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Fire Maurice right now and just cut Little because you wouldn't even get a 7th round draft pick for Little . Play Laine on the first and 2nd lines and we are golden , Stanley Cup champions .

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The only thing dominant is his shot, the rest of his game is seriously lacking even in November!

Do you think Laine has made good progress in his overall game while playing with Little?

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Ehlers might breathe some life to the stale 1st line. However it will still leave the problem of an extremely stale and ineffective 2nd line. The times that Connor has played with Little and Laine, his production eventually declined down to nothing. Same goes for Ehlers (and now Roslovic).

I feel like they should give Wheeler another shot as a center, maybe, and move Little down to play with Perreault and guys like that, who seem to elevate his game. Just good, solid, dependable vets who can play his kind of a game.

Never going to happen, obviously, but it's something to consider.

Would lines like Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine, Connor-Wheeler-Roslovic and Perreault-Little-Copp be more effective than what they've got going now? Don't know, but it might be worth a shot. Nobody has tried. A playoff spot seems to be in the bag, so it might be the appropriate time to try out stuff like this.

Last edited:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
The problem is as Surixon said, we don't have enough line drivers to go around. Ehlers has been awesome here, but in a way playing him with Scheif and Wheeler wastes him a little bit and leaves the second line without much to work with.

I doubt that Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler would be successful.

The possibilities I would look at:

-Seeing if Perreault added to Scheifele's wing could successfully carry Laine. That would free up Ehlers and Wheeler to play with Little, which would almost certainly be an effective line (and might even be your 'top matchup' line). This would also free up Connor and Roslovic to play with someone like Copp, which might make for an excellent third scoring line.

-If Perreault can't carry Laine, then perhaps Ehlers with Scheifele can do it. Perreault - Little - Wheeler would also probably be an excellent second line. That would still allow a Connor - Copp - Roslovic 3rd scoring line, or you could do Connor - Little - Wheeler and Perreault - Copp - Roslovic (though this last line looks anemic to me).

-Alternatively, I might try Perreault - Copp - Laine to try to make use of Laine's scoring against softer matchups. This would allow for a top line of Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler and Connor - Little - Roslovic. I'm not as sold on this Little line but it wouldnt hurt to try.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My hope is adding Stone means Wheeler gets moved to the 2nd line with Little. Scheifel - Wheeler are still on the #1 PP.

Assuming Roslovic is part of the trade:

Connor - Scheifele - Stone
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Lemiuex - Lowry - Tanev (I think Lemiuex would be excellent on this line as they get their goals banging in front of the net)
Perrault - Copp - Laine
Appleton is the 13th man

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Ehlers might breathe some life to the stale 1st line. However it will still leave the problem of an extremely stale and ineffective 2nd line. The times that Connor has played with Little and Laine, his production eventually declined down to nothing. Same goes for Ehlers (and now Roslovic).

I feel like they should give Wheeler another shot as a center, maybe, and move Little down to play with Perreault and guys like that, who seem to elevate his game. Just good, solid, dependable vets who can play his kind of game.

Never going to happen, obviously, but it's something to consider.

Just do

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler

and I guarantee better results than what they are getting now. It's funny how Maurice continues to prop up CSW... Makes him seem like a moron(trying to mask that with humour and jargon), it's been two seasons and we are still not getting results just like Little-Laine combo.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Just do

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler

and I guarantee better results than what they are getting now. It's funny how Maurice continues to prop up CSW... Makes him seem like a moron(trying to mask that with humour and jargon), it's been two seasons and we are still not getting results just like Little-Laine combo.

I don't know. Wheeler's production was way less when he used to play with Little (60-70 point'ish, from the 90-100 point pace he is on now), and he has lost the goal-scoring touch he had back in those days. Connor would have to assume the burden of scoring most goals if he plays with Little or Wheeler, neither of whom have a legitimate scoring touch at this point in their careers.

It might work, but then again it might also not work. But it's worth trying, I suppose.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I don't know. Wheeler's production was way less when he used to play with Little (60-70 point'ish, from the 90-100 point pace he is on now), and he has lost the goal-scoring touch he had back in those days. Connor would have to assume the burden of scoring most goals if he plays with Little or Wheeler, neither of whom have a legitimate scoring touch at this point in their careers.

It might work, but then again it might also not work. But it's worth trying, I suppose.

I think a big part of Wheeler's production jump is due to:
-Huge TOI
-Laine on powerplay

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Little has tanked Conner elhers laine and roso offensively. I think you try Copp there in the middle before you go back to line combos that havent produced
I know that Little has been producing pretty well this season, but has he had any positive impact on his wingers compared to how they do away from him? Maybe he could be used on the wing if Chevy brings in another C.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
i am confused so SW are 11th and 12th in scoring the jets are one of the top scoring teams in the league and CSW only generates 45% of the teams offence . So should that not be a good thing ???? all that says to me is our scoring is balanced out over all 4 lines
It is by no means a good thing when your 1st line is weaker than the oppositions 1st line at ES. Especially when they log massive minutes like SW do. The Jets have been winning in spite of that, but it is not a winning formula in the long run and reality will hit PoMo fast and hard in the play offs.

Reactions: hudster

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
i am confused so SW are 11th and 12th in scoring the jets are one of the top scoring teams in the league and CSW only generates 45% of the teams offence . So should that not be a good thing ???? all that says to me is our scoring is balanced out over all 4 lines

GF% is the rate of goals scored when they are on the ice not the % of total team goals.

It means the opposition has scored more goals then them when on the ice.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Not 45% of the team's offence. It means that when CSW is on the ice, 45% of the goals are Jets goals and 55% are opposition goals.

Reactions: jepjepjoo

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
GF% is the rate of goals scored when they are on the ice not the % of total team goals.

It means the opposition has scored more goals then them when on the ice.

And that is exactly the problem. We’re not winning a Cup if our top line isn’t out scoring the opponent. Ehlers should fix that immensely.

Reactions: surixon

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The way 29 has been playing for quite a While is why he is not with 55, playing against other teams best Laine will get destroyed, then the narrative can switch to its Sheifs fault.

That's a super philosophy to get your team ready for the playoffs! Let's not even try to get our best goal scorer out of a slump and gain his confidence! I guess I'm a bit baffled as to why our coach won't even try to get 29 going with the team's best centreman? But when 81 and 27 were both slumping earlier this season, they got to play with 55. Ugh...stubborn Maurice and his poor coaching decisions.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's a super philosophy to get your team ready for the playoffs! Let's not even try to get our best goal scorer out of a slump and gain his confidence! I guess I'm a bit baffled as to why our coach won't even try to get 29 going with the team's best centreman? But when 81 and 27 were both slumping earlier this season, they got to play with 55. Ugh...stubborn Maurice and his poor coaching decisions.
Connor and Ehlers are great at going into corners and digging puck up for Scheifele. The two of them also crash the net. Laine crashed the net once last game, but, he doesn't have the speed for puck retrieval. Chef wants puck to pass or shoot, who could blame him. The Jets are letting Chef conserve his energy for playoffs. If you pair him with Chef he is going to have to work harder to go retrieve pucks as Laine is significantly slower than both Ehlers and Connor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Most of Wheelers jump in production is on the power play the last 2 years.
His 5on5 wont get affected much if he plays with Little. It might bump Little scoring up and who ever slots with scheifele on the left side.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
I know that Little has been producing pretty well this season, but has he had any positive impact on his wingers compared to how they do away from him? Maybe he could be used on the wing if Chevy brings in another C.

I dont hate little I just see him as a more effective winger then a center. In fact I think it would do wonders for his production as well.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Best post I've seen in months. I've played a lot of hockey and been around the game at a lot of levels, I'll tell you straight up there is a lot of egos with coaches. Refusing to do the obvious because its what's been told to you is very real.

A big part of why coaches lose their jobs is because they fall in love with certain players or combinations.
Man you hate Maurice , do you really believe Maurice doesn't care about winning a championship ? A guy who has coached as long as he has knows more about hockey than anyone on these boards . You think because of his ego he doesn't care if they play the right guys with the right guys to be successful ? I don't believe that for one second but if that was the case they better fire Maurice right now and get rid of Chevy for allowing it and get rid of Chipman for letting Chevy let Maurice get away with it . :laugh: :shakehead

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I dont hate little I just see him as a more effective winger then a center. In fact I think it would do wonders for his production as well.

Little hasn’t played on the wing since his rookie year(maybe a year after that as well but I’m not positive). How could you even come to this conclusion when he has played center for so long? Seems like making stuff up. :huh:

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad