CSS Final Rankings

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, Jesse Forsberg and Mitch Topping basically fell off the face of the earth. I guess I havent been monitoring them closely but its still surprising to see.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
If a team will take a chance on Connelly at 6 then someone will take Puempel at the 15-20 range. Bartschi is too high and so is Morrow

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Wow, Jesse Forsberg and Mitch Topping basically fell off the face of the earth. I guess I havent been monitoring them closely but its still surprising to see.

I don't think they know who Forsberg is. Hes been off their other lists too. Hes definitely getting drafted though. Probably second or third round.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
People love McGuire and it really pours out now that hes dead but McGuire was one of the big reasons these were always awful. Strange too because he probably saw a large portion of them live.

Definitely agree with you.
Wow, I have not been following the news recently and totally did not realize he just died, I feel bad about that comment now actually. With that being said I have always found his player comparisons to be unusual/poor, but didn't mean to ***** talk a guy who just died :(

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BUT BEAULIEU showed how good he was at the TOP PROSPECTS GAME-he really opened mny eyes there --I assume Central Scouting followed him closely after that --maybe he got even better in the 2nd half? BEAULIEU was the best D-man at the TOP PROSPECTS GAMe--yes you can't tell from just 1 night but from what i saw I immediately thought inmy own mind that this D-man was at least the next D-man after Siemens but with more offensive ability -yet his defense was not as iffy as some posters had led me to believe.. AT that time (TOP PROSPECTS GAME) --I had ZIBANEJAD and MCNEIIL ranked about mid-teens (ZIBANEJAD of course was not at that game being in Europe) but BEAULIEU impressed me more than did MCNEIIL --so I had BEAULIEU then ranked just out of the top ten at #11 (I had Siemens at #8) and I had PHILLIPS and STROME at #12 and #13....SINCE then STROME kept rising into the top ten, PHILLIPS slipped to the late teens and SEIMENS slipped to just out of the top ten...IT is very possible BEAULIEU justifies being ahead of SIEMENS in over-all potential so with COUTURIER falling on evryone's rankings (of the ranking orgs0 --WHY not Beaulieu rising ? NOw rising above COUTURIER ? WELL it seems hard to believe--BUT if the scouts see a guy improving in the 2nd half and others ranked higher earlier either not inmproving or just holding steady at below the expectstion bar the scouts hadset for them --then it is possible Beaulieu jumped ahead of Couturier.

THE problem with Couturier is not that he regressed but merely that he was expected to do more OR that his flaws seem to persist -he is stilla very good prospect--but to see no expected domination or to see the flaws stillbeing manifest, it forced themto drop him so much in their rankings.
I as a mere hockey fan --not ascout--cannot fault COUTURIER from not dominating as much as the scouts originally thought- perhaps they thought he'd be the 2nd coming of LECALALIER if not exactly LEMIEUX ....but I can faulkt his flaw wich when I see him play is a lack of anticipation -if he had that instead of mere reaction results from his size and talent THEN he's be the #1 overall -that he lacks it -his anticipation level is just average -it makes all te other stuff he does have a bit suspect in taking it to the next level..

ON the other hand --BEAULIEU exhibited great anticipation both offensively and defensively off what i saw at the Top Prospects Gamei--if scouts saw that too and followed him in the 2nd half to see if indeed he persisted in those instincts -then it could be they project great success for him at the NHl level as with those natural instincts a player can improve other areas of his game -but there is some innate instinctual qualities that cannot be taught or improved on --hockey sense --you ither have it or not --and if the scouts think he's got it -all the other parts of his game can be developed such that he projects really well ...

Now some teams willbe looking for D-help and after the top 3 forwards (I had HUBERDEAU ahead of COUTURIER aftr the TO PROSPECTS GAME anyway )---so after RNH and LANDESKOG and HUBERDEAU go and after LARSSON and HAMILTON go ---why not BEAULIEU as high as #6 overall --if a team wants a D-man and some see him ahead of SEIMENS ? IF a team wants a forward then COUTURIER or STROME will go next or both ahead of BEAULKIEU till a team wants D..

SO we are just inyer-changing names... the one guy I do not think is top ten is BARTSCHI -simply on size..

BEAULIEU is a legit #6-9 guy as much asanyone else deserves to be there...

The question is do you prefer 2-way ability + skill over SEIMENS physicality +fighting + some skills like skating +shot but not as good hockey sense?

IF BEAULIEU was "soft"--only a skill guy --then I don't think scouts would have him ranked this hight..He must have enough bumpbing and hitting in hius game to add to the other parts. He won't be a fighter like SEIMENS--but that is not the only aspect of being physical --- you just need enough pyhsical aspect -and in that Beaukieu probably has that level at least...

BEAULIEU gives you a bit of everything---he has size and thus strength, he will bum just enough, he can skate and carry the puck,can shoot and pass, and has the anticipation /hockey sense aspect better than maybe any D-man i the draft ....Some posters said he gets caught up ice too much-but maybe the scouts think he's improved that over the start of the year or that it can be improved with more development...but the hockey sense of reading the play to pass to the open guy or get to the right position spot to keep attacks going well ,or reading the play as it develops in your own zone -these are hings that he excels over other d-men at ...and so his high projection ranking.

COUTURIER is still a very good prospect--but like the great ANGELO ESPOSITO case--scouts followed him a long time,expected MORE,and never saw his flwas improving ..

I doubt COUTURIER willbe a total flop like ESPOSITO (which I predicted) ..but neither is he a LEMIEUX-like superstar CERTAINTY to dominate at the NHL level .. Maybe COUTURIER only develops to a #2 line NHL centre...

BEAULIEU though given his size,skating,puck ability and hockey sense cOULD develop into a top 2 NHL D-man for the team drafting him--reason enough to rank him that high...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
BUT BEAULIEU showed how good he was at the TOP PROSPECTS GAME-he really opened mny eyes there

BEAULIEU though given his size,skating,puck ability and hockey sense cOULD develop into a top 2 NHL D-man for the team drafting him--reason enough to rank him that high...

I hope you're not judging his potential over ONE game. I've seen him a few times throughout the year and he has not impressed me. Yes he is a safe player, but there's no skill to his game. Nothing you see wants to draft him.

No the best defenseman in the Top Prospects game was Musil, Bell, and Scarlett. You don't see any of them rising because it was just 1 game.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
The more I read about beaulieu makes me think he'll go top 10, I always thought he would be a mid-late 1st mostly from him being on saint john(someone on that team must be guy that is inflating everyone stats?I'm thinking it's beaulieu and huberdeau inflating everyone's stats.) So either zach phillips is amazing too or jurco is destined to be a bust because he's barely ppg. Saint john is just a confusing team to draft.

UkraineTrain

Jul 9, 2010
Ukraine
Beaulieu ahead of Couturier :facepalm:
Baertschi at 7 :facepalm:
Musil at 38 :facepalm:
St. Croix at 59 :facepalm:
McColgan at 125 :facepalm:
Forsberg at 166 :facepalm:
No Artem Sergeev and Anton Zlobin :facepalm:

and more...and more...

:help:

zeus3007*

If there is any accuaracy to this at all, it looks like some very good defenseman will still be available in the 15-25 range. Which is great for the Oilers, Oleksiak, Morrow or Klefbom being available for their LA pick would have Tambellini dancing I'm sure.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Beaulieu ahead of Couturier :facepalm:
Baertschi at 7 :facepalm:
Musil at 38 :facepalm:
St. Croix at 59 :facepalm:
McColgan at 125 :facepalm:
Forsberg at 166 :facepalm:
No Artem Sergeev and Anton Zlobin :facepalm:

and more...and more...

:help:
I found this extremely strange too, especially cause this is for NA only, including Euros you'd have to bump him back a bunch of spots, to the point that they're actually projecting St. Croix as a roughly mid 3rd rounder. I've really seen him as a lock to be taken in the 2nd round, with an outside chance at going in the late 1st.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The more I read about beaulieu makes me think he'll go top 10, I always thought he would be a mid-late 1st mostly from him being on saint john(someone on that team must be guy that is inflating everyone stats?I'm thinking it's beaulieu and huberdeau inflating everyone's stats.) So either zach phillips is amazing too or jurco is destined to be a bust because he's barely ppg. Saint john is just a confusing team to draft.

With a team like Saint John, and how hes their number 1 defensemen, I'd expect him to at least be PPG.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Do you know why they prefer that format?

"...we don't go over to Europe, we don't mix the European list with our North American list. That according to our NHL bosses is something that they can do, the 30 teams can do on their own without going to the expense sending me to Helsinki and Stockholm."

- E.J. McGuire @ The Pipeline Show, November 16th 2010 -

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't think they know who Forsberg is. Hes been off their other lists too. Hes definitely getting drafted though. Probably second or third round.

The guy was a high bantam pick in the WHL....people know who he is....

With a team like Saint John, and how hes their number 1 defensemen, I'd expect him to at least be PPG.

He's not their number 1, but I do agree that he should have much better numbers. Even his numbers compared to Siemens (a defense-first defender) aren't that different.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Not their #1 - Simon Despres, recently voted Dman of the year in the Q. He may not even be #2 on their team, Eric Gelinas is a very good defenceman as well.

Ah. I saw a Saint John poster before say he was their number 1 defensemen.

Well still, doesn't he play top powerplay?

Murphy was Kitcheners 3rd defensemen last year as a 16 year old and almost had the same amount of points. The way some people talk about him...I just don't see it when I watch him. His game to me screams nothing special and I don't think he'll ever be more than a #3 or 4 in the NHL.

The guy was a high bantam pick in the WHL....people know who he is....

Obviously people know who he is but does Central Scouting? It doesn't seem like they've seen him much.

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
"...we don't go over to Europe, we don't mix the European list with our North American list. That according to our NHL bosses is something that they can do, the 30 teams can do on their own without going to the expense sending me to Helsinki and Stockholm."

- E.J. McGuire @ The Pipeline Show, November 16th 2010 -

thanks for the quote from E.J.
The "they" I meant was the NHL teams and why they would prefer to have separate lists from CSB....maybe it's easier with separate lists for teams to confer with their own domestic/overseas scouts, dunno

MarcPiquesFan

Oct 12, 2009
Hull
How can the NHL even accept to post that under their name?

I mean, the full fourth line of Saint-John is in front of players such as J-G Pageau, Anton Zlobin and Philippe Maillet (they aren't even rank).

C'mon... Nathan Beaulieu isn't even a 1st rounder... That's a shame.

If I am a GM and scout team arrive with this rank, I would tear the sheet right in front of them and fire them one after one...

I think their goal is seriously to be worse year after year...

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
How can the NHL even accept to post that under their name?

I mean, the full fourth line of Saint-John is in front of players such as J-G Pageau, Anton Zlobin and Philippe Maillet (they aren't even rank).

C'mon... Nathan Beaulieu isn't even a 1st rounder... That's a shame.

If I am a GM and scout team arrive with this rank, I would tear the sheet right in front of them and fire them one after one...

I think their goal is seriously to be worse year after year...
If the rankings bother you that much, you don't need to read them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad