CSS Final Rankings

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Well since they have separate scouts for each continent, they probably feel it's better to let the scouts rank the players they see instead of relying on stat sheets, other people's opinions or Youtube videos.
They make separate lists, because combining North American and European prospects isn't required from them. E.J. McGuire talked about this not long ago.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
These CSS rankings are almost always terrible and nowhere close to reality. This list is somewhat of a joke, Beaulieu above all of Couturier, Strome and Murphy? I think not.

Edit: I was originally critical of EJ McGuire's player comparisons in this post, didn't realize he just passed away or I certainly would not have mentioned him. Took this part out.

Last edited:

GM17*

Huberdeau, Beaulieu, Jurco, Oke, Tesink, Kelly, Bourret and Cameron from the Sea Dogs... I guess you have to play for the Dogs nowadays to get traded! As an example, Guillaume Cloutier played in Saint John until Christmas and he was ranked 44th. He was traded to Chicoutimi and now he is ranked in the 200th! Huberdeau, Beaulieu and Jurco deserve to be there, but I'm not sure for the rest, certainly not as high as they are.

Oke, Kelly and Cameron combined for a total of 27 points this season!

Because it becomes very apparent how stats become inflated when on Saint John.

I don't think Beaulieu is all that more skilled then Siemens. Also, Beaulieu is bigger but he doesn't use his size all that well. Right now Murphy, Hamilton and Larsson are better in every aspect of the game, and Siemens is only a bit behind.

Not nearly as good as the rankings show, but definetly DOES use his body well though, I think that should be said

All that being said I do agree that the rankings are bullocks.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
These CSS rankings are almost always terrible and nowhere close to reality, watch EJ McGuire talk about prospects and you'll quickly see why, his comparisons are always atrocious. This list is somewhat of a joke, Beaulieu above all of Couturier, Strome and Murphy? I think not.

People love McGuire and it really pours out now that hes dead but McGuire was one of the big reasons these were always awful. Strange too because he probably saw a large portion of them live.

Definitely agree with you.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah these rankings are all over the place compared to most other rankings.

Who knows though, maybe they're right.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I find these lists accurate. Of course I haven't seen any of these players but I don't need to, stats are there, then again I haven't seen stats either but this is HFBoards, stats are meaningless.

4thliner*

NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau final ranking realeased 2 hours ago

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer Rebels, centre
2. Gabriel Landeskog, Kitchener Rangers, left winger
3. Jonathan Huberdeau, Saint John Sea Dogs, centre
4. Dougie Hamilton, Niagara Ice Dogs, defence
5. Nathan Beaulieu, Saint John Sea Dogs, defence
6. Sean Couturier, Drummondville Voltigeurs, centre

:amazed:

Couturier went from being ranked 2 in January's midterm all the way to #6.

Nathan freakin Beaulieu ahead of Couturier? Are you kidding me??

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Anybody know anything about Mark Scheifele? He's ranked 16th and plays in the OHL but I've never heard of him until now. He's ahead of guys like Rattie and Saad so he must be doing something right.

4thliner*

I could see Beaulieu being the second D off the board (after Larsson). Murphy is more skilled than Beaulieu, but he's also WAY smaller. And Beaulieu is WAY more skilled than Siemens. It will come down to a team's personal preference. Beaulieu's ranking is not as horrible as some are suggesting.

Siemens can't skate with the puck and handle the puck like Beaulieu but I would take him because he is the better all around package. He has that big shot and and the physical aggression....Rob Blake potential. He has better pro potential than Beaulieu. To me Beaulieu is nowhere near Huberdoue level or even Hamilton either. He is below Murphy too. At best you can make a case for him of who you prefer between him or Seimens.

CSS has had no love for Strome, IMO similar to skinner last year. They had him ranked 34 or something in NA in January! lol

Strome at worst should be #4 or 5 on that NA list

RNH
Landeskog
Couturier
Huberdoue
Strome

Latex*

I find these lists accurate. Of course I haven't seen any of these players but I don't need to, stats are there, then again I haven't seen stats either but this is HFBoards, stats are meaningless.

Haha, so true!

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NOESEN at #35 NA skater is way too low....he is to me a first rounder in the 20's but who projects just as much of making it as several mid-teens ranked prospects ecept for the fact centres --especially ones 6'1 and over willbe prized over wingers...

I think there is a gap of significance between ZIBANEJAD (#2 euro skater) vs. the #14-18 NA skater over 6'1 group of centres (MCNEILL,PHILLIPS, SCHEIFELE, JENNER) ---whether there is a significant gap between MCNEILL and the 3 6'1 laterteens centres ranked after him is the question...

Here is what I expect in the actual draft:

ZIBANEJAD goes 11-13

MCNEILL goes 14-16

PHILLIPS, SCHEIFELE go 15-18
JENNER goes 18-21

NOESEN goes 22-25...

Interesting that my prediction that BIG 6'5 goalie (albeit willbe 20 years old) MAGNUS HELLBERG is now ranked 2nd in eurogoalies behind SAMU PERHONENis exactly what Central Scouting did.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau final ranking realeased 2 hours ago

1. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer Rebels, centre
2. Gabriel Landeskog, Kitchener Rangers, left winger
3. Jonathan Huberdeau, Saint John Sea Dogs, centre
4. Dougie Hamilton, Niagara Ice Dogs, defence
5. Nathan Beaulieu, Saint John Sea Dogs, defence
6. Sean Couturier, Drummondville Voltigeurs, centre

:amazed:

Couturier went from being ranked 2 in January's midterm all the way to #6.

Nathan freakin Beaulieu ahead of Couturier? Are you kidding me??

Exactly my thoughts. I'm not the biggest supporter of Couturier, I like RNH and Landeskog more but this is way over the board. Beaulieu? Really? Couturier hate-fest has gone way too far. :shakehead

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interesting, but not as bad as some are making it seem. Like people always say, everyones list is different, not sure how that shouldn't apply to CSS.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
These CSS rankings are almost always terrible and nowhere close to reality, watch EJ McGuire talk about prospects and you'll quickly see why, his comparisons are always atrocious. This list is somewhat of a joke, Beaulieu above all of Couturier, Strome and Murphy? I think not.

Yeah, I can't remember the player, but McGuire used the range of Patrick Kane and Joe Thornton to describe him. Odd.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Beaulieu is insanely talented. I can definitely see him picked in the top 10. Bartschi over Strome? That's harder to figure out although I suspect scouts may feel that Stromes skill won't translate easily in the NHL. That's how I feel anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad