CSB Rankings Released This Afternoon: Landeskog #1?

0123456789*

musil is an interesting story. Born in BC (i assume frank had a house there or something), grew up in alberta + a little time in ottawa. I dont think he went back to czech until his early teens. Then czech junior league, czech mens league, and now he's back in BC with vancouver.

obviously he considers himself czech, with his family only in canada for work, but there must have been some canadian influence on his development as a kid. Timbits or something.

Musil spent more of his life living in Czech republic than in Canada, and that doesnt even include the summers that he spent in Czech republic while living in Canada when he was young. There is zero chance he goes that low, I know there are allot of teams that invest poorly in to scouting but there are always other teams that dont and they wont let him slip that low. Its clear this list is based more statistics and recent play than potential of the players, just look at who drops and who goes up. It would be interesting to develop a formula based on statistics alone to predict these rankings, sometimes I think they implement one themselves.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Funny list.
Probably is only good to provocate.
Don't take that list serious, guys.

If your going to take any lists seriously it might as well be this one (at least until McKenzie's pre-draft list). These guys are paid by the NHL to do this for a living. As far as being "wrong" about certain players? This is their opinions not their predictions.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
. Its clear this list is based more statistics and recent play than potential of the players, just look at who drops and who goes up. It would be interesting to develop a formula based on statistics alone to predict these rankings, sometimes I think they implement one themselves.

Recent play....maybe, statistics....probably not much (if at all). If you were given the appropriate amount of resources to scout every draft eligible player in the world how much would you base your opinions on statistics???

BTW- I completely agree with your opinion on Musil. His upside is potentially a 20+min #2 d-man, his downside is still almost a complete certainty to be an NHL level d-man (even if it's a defence first, bottom pairing guy). It's still a pipe dream for teams at the bottom of the draft (1st round) to have a shot at picking him imo.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If your going to take any lists seriously it might as well be this one (at least until McKenzie's pre-draft list). These guys are paid by the NHL to do this for a living. As far as being "wrong" about certain players? This is their opinions not their predictions.

Besides, CSS list the players as the "ones to scout". They don't rank them as they think they will go in the draft or anything like that.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I really do not agree with these rankings at all. Some really odd ones out there.

Another thing I don't agree with? Hawksfan50. That guy has no idea what he is talking about, ever.

OilerOlli*

No way. Every list from any site is better than those csb ranks. How many scouts they have or how many games they ever follow.
Just watch their rankings the last years and compare them to the reality. Horribly bad.

Avery4Byng*

I really do not agree with these rankings at all. Some really odd ones out there.

Another thing I don't agree with? Hawksfan50. That guy has no idea what he is talking about, ever.

Second that, I like your rankings way more then the CSS ones. Only good thing about the CSS is seeing how they rank the players after about 100, seeing Junior A guys, heck even a Midget player in there. Always interesting.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
No way. Every list from any site is better than those csb ranks. How many scouts they have or how many games they ever follow.
Just watch their rankings the last years and compare them to the reality. Horribly bad.

Again, there purpose is to identify players not rank them.
Notice how the other services always follow Central Scouting....never lead?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Islander fan here. I'm not too familar with him, but since you seem to be a big fan of his. Can I get a brief scouting report. Strengths? Weaknesses?

Jonathan Huberdeau is more of a playmaker but his goals are usually near the net. His skating is fluid and his vision is great. On the offensive, one of his weakness is that he's shy from physical contact and the boards. He's more of a guy that drives to the net and try to put the puck in. He's now listed as 6'1 and around 170 lbs. He might be the best offensive prospect out of the Q this year and maybe last year too. He had a good rookie season playing on a 3rd line for the Sea Dogs and scouts started to recognized him(TBH, including me) once the Sea Dogs were in the playoffs. He exploded "statistically" with 18 pts in 21 games. It doesn't look that impressive, but it's because at one point, he had around 15 pts in 8 games or something. And it's also impressive since his total scoring for the entire season was 37 pts. He has a good size and I think he could turn out pretty tall and fill out a bit too. He's good in faceoffs too. But what I like about him the most, is that he drives to the net a lot and has sick hands and can pulled incredible moves. He sure can dangle. The thing is, why I think he can go really high in the draft, is that after the usual Couturier, Larsson, RNH, Landeskog, and Murphy, the other guys are not proven enough and if I were a GM, I'd take a chance on a young center with good size and hands that is proven in his own league, being as of now, 2nd in the league scoring. Hope this will help you and you can go on this link too, it's an article about him.

http://dansallows.com/player-profile-jonathan-huberdeau/

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Do you want to tell me those lists are no rankings?

Their main purpose is to identify which is also why they do not combine Europe and NA.
The ranking is secondary and not their mandate.

This is on the directive of the NHL clubs.

Central Scouting uses info and rankings from individual NHL club scouts for most of their European info/rankings.

Clubs use the identification list to form their own rankings.

Pull up any interview with EJ McGuire and this is explained in detail.

He also will give you the details of the Top Prospects Game invites.......they put out a list............NHL GM's decide who gets invited.

Last edited:

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
They had them all ranked as mid 2nd rounders.

Nope, as those are NA skaters only. Once you add in the top European skaters, along with the top goalies, you have another 15 guys at least in the first two rounds, which puts these guys early in the 3rd round.

Either way, the point is they were clearly amongst the top 15 NA skaters, and CSS had them in the 40's. Thus, the placement of Strome and Puempel should be put in perspective.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Marcel Noebels, who was passed over in the last draft, is 48th on the NA skater list, while Tobias Rieder is only at 74?

Rieder hasn't scored a lot lately, but he's still outscoring Noebels (though in different leagues), he's almost a whole year younger and has always been considered the better prospect. The only thing Noebels has on Rieder is his size.

Not that it isn't nice to have Noebels ranked in that area, but I really don't see what puts him ahead of Rieder, especially by that much.

That being said, it would be nice to have a German prospect rise during the year, not fall, like Rieder and Kühnhackl have done this year and last.

I was quite shocked as well. I expected Rieder to drop a little, though not that far. And Noebels position does surprise me a lot. I mean he is doing quite well in his first season in North America, but 48th?

I guess Norman Hauner (36th on the European Skaters list) will drop in the next ranking due to his broken hand. He will likely miss at least 2 or 3 months.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
That's fun for Gabriel. Doubt he gets picked there though But I wouldnt bet against top3 at this point.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
That's fun for Gabriel. Doubt he gets picked there though But I wouldnt bet against top3 at this point.

Yeah in a draft where they are saying several can go 1st overall I doubt the Islanders, Devils or Oilers go with anything but C/D.

Landeskog will be joining Karlsson, Rundblad, Silfverberg, Petersson, Lehner, Sorensen at development camp come July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->