Crunching the Numbers: Why Re-Building is Harder than Ever

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Lately I have seen a lot of comments from Ken Holland where he talks about Philadelphia winning the #2 pick in the lottery, as justification that it is a smart move to try and make the playoffs, because even if you fail you can get lucky and get a top 3 pick. I had to ask myself… Does this guy understand that Philadelphia had a 2.4% chance at pulling that off? Or maybe, am I the one who is missing something here? So I decided to dig a little deeper.

If we look at the lottery odds from this last draft, the one thing that seems apparent to me is that the NHL wanted to make it harder to obtain a top 3 pick. I don’t think that was an accident by any means, most of the data I have seen shows a strong correlation between a top 3 pick and a productive player (we will dive into that more later), and I am sure the folks in the NHL front office are well aware of that.

Below you can find the odds of obtaining a top 3 pick in the lottery:

31st - 48.1%
30th- 35.2%
29th - 30.7%
28th - 30.7%
27th- 26.0%
26th- 23.4%
25th- 20.9%
24th – 18.3%
22nd – 17.1%
21st – 14.4%
20th – 10.5%
19th – 8.4%
18th – 7.3%
17th – 5.8%
16th- 3.0%​

(Source)

Now, you can look at this a number of different ways. And I did narrow this down to just the top 3 picks, although I am about to give some reasoning as to why that is. But the team that was the 3rd worst in the team last year only has a 10% better chance (30.7%) at a top pick than we had as the 7th worst team (20.9%). The 7th worst team in the league (20.9%) only has a 10% chance at a top 3 pick than the 11th worst team (10.5%). Quite honestly, this was pretty surprising to me. Supplanting one of the bottom 3 teams (Vegas, Colorado, and Vancouver) isn’t as easy as it might seem. Asking your fans to sit through a tank when it gets you a guarantee at McDavid/Eichel is pretty understandable. But asking fans to sit through a tank when it only gets you a 48.1% chance at a top 3 pick? Tough spot for a GM to be in.

So, why did the NHL purposefully draw the line at the top 3? Well, data taken from 1998 to 2010 tells you that the top 3 picks are easily your best bet for finding forwards that produce 55 points and up. See below for some data from this time period:

expected-value-forwards1to210chart.png

(Source )

Conclusion: The top 3 picks of the draft are far and away a team’s best bet at landing an impact player that can change the direction of a franchise. The NHL re-structured the lottery to make obtaining these picks harder than it has ever been. So in my opinion, there is more luck needed with re-building than ever before. Now that’s not to say this is completely out of our control, we can still do things to better our odds.

The most logical way to beat the odds would be to go for the prospects that have the highest ceiling, and could out-produce the average output of their peers at their draft position. This is a strategy that requires taking risks, as sometimes those boom/bust prospects have a higher risk of not making it to the NHL at all. Vegas GM George McPhee (also responsible for finding Backstrom, Semin, Kuznetsov) said his outlook on the draft is this:

"I don't know if I've ever played it safe going to the draft," McPhee said in a phone call with season ticket holders earlier this winter. "I believe in swinging for the fences, and trying to find someone who can be a real difference maker. The difference makers are those core guys on your team, those 4-5 players that become elite players are the ones that can really take you a long way. They are hard to find. Those are the ones I'd like to swing for."

In picking Glass, Suzuki, and Brannstrom with his first 3 picks with Vegas, I think he is practicing what he preaches. That is the approach that our team should have with every draft at this juncture as well.

The best way to support this strategy is to acquire as many picks as possible, so you can take more liberty with some of your picks on these risky boom/bust type of prospects. Last year we did a good job at acquiring picks at the deadline. That needs to be the norm on a yearly basis. Holland should take a look at the team every Dec/Jan, and field calls on everyone not named Larkin/Mantha, and decide who he can part with to acquire more picks. I would deem this as absolutely essential in re-building this team.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
The NHL has definitely made it so bad teams will stay bad for a lot longer with the new system. Unfortunately the new system doesn't change the fact that bottoming out is still the most effective method when rebuilding.

I honestly think the current draft changes will be rolled back within a decade.

But yes, going after high risk/high reward players is a must. Drafting safe simply isn't an option for most organizations, and even less so for Detroit.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It was obvious retool on the fly was wildly optimistic. That's pretty much proven to the case with the current state of the franchise and so many younger guys who were developed in the system leaving the first chance they get. Hudler and Filppula left as soon as they could. At least Holland got something in return for Smith. It looks like Tatar will be gone after this season if not sooner.

And then there are the busts. So many busts.

Ken Holland has made it clear he is going to try to convince the fanbase that trying to be a playoff team and failing is OK because hey anything can happen! There are clearly people gullible enough to believe that so I don't expect Holland to ever change his message.

The key is this being his final season and one of his yes men not being named the new GM.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland should take a look at the team every Dec/Jan, and field calls on everyone not named Larkin/Mantha, and decide who he can part with to acquire more picks. I would deem this as absolutely essential in re-building this team.

You probably have noticed, Ken Holland has already done this for two years:

- Got 2 extra picks for 2018 entry draft
2nd rounder for Brendan Smith
6th rounder for Steve Ott

- Got 4 extra picks for 2017 entry draft
3rd rounder for Vanek
3rd round compensation for losing Babcock
3rd rounder for Smith
3rd rounder for Jurco
6th rounder for Kindl

Lost his own 3rd rounder on a trade for Dylan Sadowy.

- Didn't got extra picks for 2016 draft, but raised the 3rd rounder for 2nd
Had lost his own 3rd for Marek Zidlicky
Did trade down and got extra 2nd pick from Arizona

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ken Holland has made it clear he is going to try to convince the fanbase that trying to be a playoff team and failing is OK because hey anything can happen! There are clearly people gullible enough to believe that so I don't expect Holland to ever change his message.

He can keep the same message for the next 100 years, if he will act on a different way.

(like he has done)

Guy is a salesman, speaks for the season tickets, acts for the Franchise future.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He can keep the same message for the next 100 years, if he will act on a different way.

(like he has done)

Guy is a salesman, speaks for the season tickets, acts for the Franchise future.

The only thing that matters is the product on the ice.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
NHL has really screwed the wings over lately. first the ridiculous cap recapture penalties for perfectly legal contracts signed before the last cba and now they changed the draft lottery rules just in time for the wings to be bad

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You probably have noticed, Ken Holland has already done this for two years:

- Got 2 extra picks for 2018 entry draft
2nd rounder for Brendan Smith
6th rounder for Steve Ott

- Got 4 extra picks for 2017 entry draft
3rd rounder for Vanek
3rd round compensation for losing Babcock
3rd rounder for Smith
3rd rounder for Jurco
6th rounder for Kindl

Lost his own 3rd rounder on a trade for Dylan Sadowy.

- Didn't got extra picks for 2016 draft, but raised the 3rd rounder for 2nd
Had lost his own 3rd for Marek Zidlicky
Did trade down and got extra 2nd pick from Arizona

He did well at acquiring the picks... as far as using those picks on boom/bust guys, I'm not sure that happened. Or at least not to the extent I was hoping. They've already said they are thinking about doing that next year though.

I'm curious to see if we are on the bubble around the deadline if he sells next year, or what he does. This year it seemed fairly obvious what to do. I don't think he's lying about wanting to make the playoffs.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He did well at acquiring the picks... as far as using those picks on boom/bust guys, I'm not sure that happened. Or at least not to the extent I was hoping. They've already said they are thinking about doing that next year though.

I'm curious to see if we are on the bubble around the deadline if he sells next year, or what he does. This year it seemed fairly obvious what to do. I don't think he's lying about wanting to make the playoffs.

Ask 31 GMs and you'll get 31 YES! they want to make the playoffs. I never met a competitor yet that wanted to lose.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
The number 1 pick probably won't go to a bottom 3 team. Someone gets lucky and then every team drops back a spot. If you finish dead last your probably going to pick 4th (52%). You can't look at tanking as in a chance to get the first pick, it's just improving your worst pick.
-random lottery talk, not directed at anyone

I definitely agree with drafting boom or bust guys. I think the one thing we need the most is top line players. To get those guys you gotta win the lottery ( or pick top 3) or you gotta draft risky players. So basically what frk it said.

I totally agree.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on those numbers, for the team who finishes worst in the standings, it's still at least a coinflip to get a player that (on average) will be very impactful (by having roughly 50% odds of ending up with a top 3 pick).

If my choices are to spend to the cap, but have no difference makers, and take my chances drafting 7-15...

...or to gut this thing, play all the kids, and stink it up as close to the bottom of the standings as possible (which would only be a handful of slots lower than they were this year, anyway)...

I'll take the latter.

But Detroit will continue to take the former. Which will perpetuate lousy hockey. Which will perpetuate wasted years.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yes it might be more difficult to snatch a top 3 pick but it shouldn't dissuade a team that's terribly mediocre from looking honestly in the mirror and doing what's best for the long-run.

Finishing 30th with 1-3 chances of picking top 3 and a guaranteed 5th OA...I'll take it! :yo: Frk It thanks for re-posting that the Flyers had a 2% possibility to win the lottery, it's idiotic Holland would reference this as a reliable occurrence.

Another thought- I agree with Provenzano (the athletic) when he warned about the pitfalls of hoarding picks while attempting to rebuild properly:

It’s hard to argue with a rebuild strategy that involves acquiring multiple draft picks. It was a core element of both of my experiences in Washington and Dallas. Having said that, I believe the ground has shifted substantially in the last few seasons. If you really want to move your franchise out of mediocrity with a buckshot draft strategy, the key is devoting care to where the picks are as opposed to how many picks you have.

A garbage pick for Ott and a bunch of 3rd rounders aren't moves of a team searching to rebuild. We need 1st's or realistically with how little the Wings have to offer 2nd's to increase our odds of finding core players.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is some high quality discussion posting. You should consider taking this to the main board, too, because I think it's the kind of information that deserves to be seen by as many eyes as possible.

Regarding the content, ho boy, it's a bad time for the Wings to stink. Getting that top 3 player is so important during a rebuild, but as we learned, it's now only a coin flip. A franchise changing coin flip.

At first glance this might support his philosophy of following the Flyers big lottery victory, but if anything it puts even more emphasis on stacking the deck. If you're relying on percentages in the single digits to get that impact player, you're a bigger riverboat gambler than I am.

To put it this way, if you missed the playoffs 10 years, but failed to be a bottom 10 team, you would statistically only land a single top 3 pick in that time. If 10 years without playoffs AND only getting a single top 3 pick doesn't terrify you as a sports fan... I don't know what will. That's nightmare fuel. That's the kind of of creepypasta you only whisper about on the darkest corners of the internet. 2spooky4me.

We're currently in year 1 without a top 3 pick. Let's see what shakes out. Can the franchise return to a contender without one? If not, how long before that top 3 pick turns up? Guys, I'm spooked. Someone turn on the lights, I feel the cold embrace of statistics looming chasing me with every word I type.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes it might be more difficult to snatch a top 3 pick but it shouldn't dissuade a team that's terribly mediocre from looking honestly in the mirror and doing what's best for the long-run.
What terrible mediocre team? The team that was 7th to last and is now predicted to finish bottom 5 by 90% of people and bottom 3 by many?

This team is going nowhere but the top-end of the lottery odds unless the kids take over in a big way. Debate the past if you will, I don't see what there really is to be fearful of this year for the tank-brigade. The fact Holland says he wants to make the playoffs? If he said he was going for the cup this year would you think that was possible?

Daley and Witkowski are just enough depth to avoid us playing completely un-prepared kids in big roles at the end of the season when we've sold at the TDL and have injuries. They change nothing about the big picture.

18-19 is our first possibility for turn-around momentum. This hinges on some combination of factors such as:

- Win lottery, draft Dahlin/Svechnikov
- Rasmussen/Hronek/VS/Cholo are ready to step in and make impacts
- Mantha/Larkin/AA/Svech improve

But that's the year after this. Realistically it will be at least another year beyond that before things can start turning around. But top picks are coming, dependant on lottery. Just stay patient hfboards!

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Good op, but, holy ****, it's like talking to a bunch of broken records. They are bad and will not make playoffs, so calm the **** down. They will probably not finish last, unless they throw games and apparently "nobody" wants that ... At the end of the day, they'll have to get lucky and beat the odds for that top 3 pick. What is the problem? The GM hurt your feelz in an interview?

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Good info Frk It.

A little off topic but I'll throw a thought up here. A few years back we had Ouellet, Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko, Backman and maybe Almquist too as very promising d prospects. I may remember wrong but Sproul had won CHL d man of the year and he wasn't even necessarily seen as our most promising D prospect.

As a group, they **** the bed.

Had they not, I think the a lot of conversation would be different.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Daley and Witkowski are just enough depth to avoid us playing completely un-prepared kids in big roles at the end of the season when we've sold at the TDL and have injuries. They change nothing about the big picture.

If they are still unprepared to make the jump, then what have they been doing in GR for this long? At some point it's not that they are unprepared, it's that they're not very good.

The guys getting squeezed by signing someone like Daley aren't kids, they are 23,24, 26, and 27 years old with years of experience in the AHL.

Just to add some emphasis so it's easier to really see what we should expect with production, that .32 drop in production from the 1st pick to the fourth is 26 points (75 to 49). I think it's easy to understate the drop when looking at just the PPG. Just dropping from 1st to 4th in the draft means you're far less likely to get that first line player and will get a borderline 2nd liner - or Gus Nyquist.

How thrilled would everyone be tanking for Gus Nyquist?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I like the thinking in this thread.

I'll just add that when I look at my own data which is 2005-2014, the average PPG of the top 4 forward picks is as follows. I picked those years because it was post lockout. I'm sure it looks even better for some of the top picks once you factor in guys like Matthews, Laine, McDavid, Eichel, but I didn't because when I originally took this data it was last season and I wanted to exclude people who needed a couple years to develop.

Another thing to note is the power of individual players in small sample sizes like this. There are only 8 forwards taken first overall in that time span. Nail Yakupov has a .41 PPG. His ass is being dragged up to that .94 average PPG by the likes of Sidney Crosby with a 1.32 PPG.

Similarly in the #4 pick there's only 5 players. Backstrom leads the way with .99 PPG. You have guys that aren't even .5PPG like Pouliot and Bennett, but you also have Ryan Johansen.

My point is that while on average there is a pretty big discrepancy after the top3 and the top5, there's two different ways that could be manifested. Either the actual average quality of those picks is lower, OR, you chances of finding the elite player are just lower. There's a world of difference between an average PPG of .65 where all 5 players are about .65, and where one player has a 1PPG and everyone else is about .5PPG. If you ignore the sample size, it says that you either have a 100% chance of a .65PPG player or a 20% at a 1PPG player. Similarly, you either have a 100% chance of getting a .94PPG player with the #1 pick, or you have a 1/8 chance at a Nail Yakupov and a 1/8 shot at a Sidney Crosby.

The "Average PPG" is the same but it doesn't produce the same results. If I thought I had a 20% chance at Backstrom I want that damn pick. That is a damn good pick.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If they are still unprepared to make the jump, then what have they been doing in GR for this long? At some point it's not that they are unprepared, it's that they're not very good.

The guys getting squeezed by signing someone like Daley aren't kids, they are 23,24, 26, and 27 years old with years of experience in the AHL.
Talking more about the Hronek/Saarijarvi type kids and Lindstrom/Kotkansalo/etc going forward. Hicketts to some extent. Not sure who you are talking about.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think it's only a matter of time before the lottery is changed again - the league has, in essence, told Colorado that it doesn't care if they're bad forever (without a huge helping of luck).

That said, I think you're absolutely right - picks should never be used on high floor/low ceiling players, at this point, for this team. Holland has shown he can, in general, draft depth players, and as long as the Illitch's keep the pocket book open, it's just not hard to find a few depth fill ins in FA. But until this team has more than one first-line player, and until there's a single legit, young top 4 defensemen, no one's going anywhere.

But then, when your team is bound and determined to sign crap like Daley for multiple years to try to eke out a couple of extra points and 'protect' your 26 year old 'kids', it's clear the priorities are not aligned. I wonder if the team will survive another Dead Wings era.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think it's only a matter of time before the lottery is changed again - the league has, in essence, told Colorado that it doesn't care if they're bad forever (without a huge helping of luck).

That said, I think you're absolutely right - picks should never be used on high floor/low ceiling players, at this point, for this team. Holland has shown he can, in general, draft depth players, and as long as the Illitch's keep the pocket book open, it's just not hard to find a few depth fill ins in FA. But until this team has more than one first-line player, and until there's a single legit, young top 4 defensemen, no one's going anywhere.

But then, when your team is bound and determined to sign crap like Daley for multiple years to try to eke out a couple of extra points and 'protect' your 26 year old 'kids', it's clear the priorities are not aligned. I wonder if the team will survive another Dead Wings era.

Yeah, I still get a good laugh at the idea people like Holland are planning on "pulling a Philadelphia" and converting on those incredible low odds to draft in the top 3. Anything can happen! That phrase pretty well encapsulates Holland's management strategy over the past 5 years. :laugh:

I do like the fact things should line up quite well this draft. Of course Holland has done everything he can to prevent us from getting a top 3 pick but whatever. If we truly wanted a shot at drafting a guy to build around you don't sign Daley and you trade Tatar and Green as early as possible.

At least he should be able to get first rounders for Tatar and Green. Add those selections to what will hopefully be a top 3 pick and that's a great opportunity to develop a true core you can build around now that it's obvious the current roster is one of the least talented in the league. I'd also consider trading Nyquist but there's no way Holland moves Gus.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Yeah, I still get a good laugh at the idea people like Holland are planning on "pulling a Philadelphia" and converting on those incredible low odds to draft in the top 3. Anything can happen! That phrase pretty well encapsulates Holland's management strategy over the past 5 years. :laugh:

Exactly - maximize the odds of getting what the team needs to be competitive again (even if those odds kind of suck to begin with). Maximize your chances of pulling a Subban or Weber out of the 2nd round (by taking, as Frk It said, the high ceiling players, and by having as many spins at the wheel as possible), maximize your chances of grabbing a Bergeron, and maximize your chances of getting that #1/#2 for Dahlin or Svech (whichever you prefer). Trying to play this "well, we don't have to suck too much, and then anything can happen!" game is ridiculous. Missing the playoffs because you were "only" the 8th worst team in the league (after spending most of the season as one of the three worst) isn't going to endear you to fans any more than just being one of the 3 worst teams the whole way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->