Cruellest Hardware Robberies & Coups

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Was wondering if we could compile some examples of the biggest NHL individual award robberies & coups?

Couple similar ones off the top of my head:

2005/2006
Jaromir Jagr 54g 123
Joe Thornton ‭125‬p
Jonathan Cheechoo 56g

Jagr misses out on Art Ross and Maurice Richard by 2g & 2p to the pair in San Jose.

2002/2003
Markus Naslund 48g 104p
Peter Forsberg 106p
Milan Hejduk 50g

Markus Naslund misses out on Art Ross and Maurice Richard by 2g & 2p to the pair in Colorado.

Reactions: Fixxer and frisco

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Wild Bill being snubbed for the Selke in 17-18 is on top of my list (for obvious reasons)

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Mogilny gets his career-high in goals (76) the year a rookie Teemu Selanne scores the same amount 1992-1993

In 2006/2007, Roberto Luongo joins the Canucks and gets 47 wins and a .921SV%, which would be the league record and probably a Vezina/Hart-caliber season, except Brodeur gets the record with 48 wins and a .922 SV% and snags the Vezina. Crosby receives the Hart, though it could be argued that Luongo was more valuable to his specific team, Crosby led the league in points.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
actually can you imagine being yzerman in 1989?
From 1986-1991, I couldn't imagine being any player who wasn't Gretzky or Lemieux. Even Gretzky and Lemieux were probably getting pissed off at the other party for just-so-happening to be the best player of all time while the other best player of all time was active.

Reactions: Sidmieux

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Mark Howe not winning the Norris in 1983.

Bill Barber finishing second in the Calder voting in 1973.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
actually can you imagine being yzerman in 1989?
The problem with Yzerman in '89 was that the Red Wings team was a disappointment. After rocketing to 5th overall in 1987-88 (and their second straight Conference series appearance), the 1988-89 Wings sagged to a .500 record and 12th overall. In fact, in the latter 3/4 of the season, they were 23-29-8. When a team sags in the standings after seeming to be on the rise, the top guy never wins the Hart. If the Wings had had a 100-point season or something, then I could see Yzerman being part of a three-way split with Wayne and Mario.

Some Hart trophies I would probably change, going back to 1950:
1950 -- Maurice Richard (not Rayner)
1951 -- Gordie Howe (not Schmidt)
1955 -- Bernie Geoffrion or Maurice Richard (not Kennedy)
1974 -- Bobby Orr (not Esposito)
1976 -- Guy Lafleur (not Clarke)
1989 -- Mario Lemieux (not Gretzky)
1991 -- Wayne Gretzky (not Hull)
2011 -- Daniel Sedin (not Perry)

I have a feeling we'll look back at 2018 as a season when Nathan MacKinnon should have won the Hart over Taylor Hall, but I'm "future speculating"...

It always seems that Rocket Richard and Jaromir Jagr are the two players who had the worst "luck" in terms of Hart wins.

Reactions: frisco

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
It always seems that Rocket Richard and Jaromir Jagr are the two players who had the worst "luck" in terms of Hart wins.
I always found it odd that Jagr led the league in scoring in 200-01 and didn't receive one first place vote for the Hart.

My Best-Carey

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I always found it odd that Jagr led the league in scoring in 200-01 and didn't receive one first place vote for the Hart.

My Best-Carey
Well, Gretzky led the League in scoring and didn't get even one third-place vote...

In the case of Jagr in '01, Mario's comeback skewed the scene. Jagr's production that season was slower than usual, until Mario came back.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
I have a feeling we'll look back at 2018 as a season when Nathan MacKinnon should have won the Hart over Taylor Hall, but I'm "future speculating"...

That season ended though...what more is left to uncover/discuss? Hall was the only player on his team, full stop. MacK ending up with a better career doesn't alter what happened in 2018, does it?

Reactions: GlitchMarner

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

My Best-Carey

Here is the scoring race as of Christmas 2000:

04707463A79349ECBDD5.jpeg

That Alexei Kovalev was catching a lot of attention in the first-half of the season before Lemieux’s return probably didn’t do Jagr any favors. Plus, it was a tough ballot. Realistically, Jagr could be left off entirely (I think I’d have all of Sakic, Lemieux, Elias, and Cechmanek ahead of him).

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Juneau's and Crosby's rookie seasons - both broke 100-point barrier but there was still one better rookie in each season.

Not cruel by saying they deserved the award but more so that their performance would have been worth of Calder in almost any other season.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Was wondering if we could compile some examples of the biggest NHL individual award robberies & coups?

Couple similar ones off the top of my head:

2005/2006
Jaromir Jagr 54g 123
Joe Thornton ‭125‬p
Jonathan Cheechoo 56g

Jagr misses out on Art Ross and Maurice Richard by 2g & 2p to the pair in San Jose.

2002/2003
Markus Naslund 48g 104p
Peter Forsberg 106p
Milan Hejduk 50g

Markus Naslund misses out on Art Ross and Maurice Richard by 2g & 2p to the pair in Colorado.

Forsberg played in only 75 games that year, whereas Naslund played in all 82

The better player clearly won the Art Ross that season

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Hardware robberies & coups?

Here's a case from 1969:

"On April 9, 1969, thieves forced in the front door of the Sports Hall of Fame and stole the Conn Smythe, Calder, and Hart trophies by smashing a display case with a shovel, but missed out on the Stanley Cup, which was away for maintenance. Bizarrely, the crooks declined to swipe the Prince of Wales, Norris, Lady Byng, and Art Ross trophies from the same broken case." (...)
A few days later, on April 11, an anonymous phone tip led police to a garage on Judson St. in Etobicoke, where the trophies and several skating medals were recovered undamaged.
And another one from 1970:

"Despite promising to beef up security around hockey’s hallowed silverware, there was another theft at the Hall of Fame in 1970. This time, crooks made off with the Stanley Cup collar—the three rings below the original bowl—containing the engraved names of the 1923-24, 1924-25, and 1925-26 champions.
It took several days for Hall of Fame curator Maurice Reid to notice the piece was missing from a special miniature display case. This time, it appeared the thief had simply deposited the unguarded 20 lb piece of silverware in a bag during regular visitor hours. (...)
In Sept., 1977, police constables William Thompson and Gordon Black, dispatched to a Toronto cleaning store, radioed a strange messing to their sergeant, Robert Morrison, at 54 Division. They said they had found a piece of the Stanley Cup wrapped in brown paper. “Are you crazy?,” Morrison said. Closer inspection revealed the metal rings containing the names of NHL greats like Jack Adams and Cecil Hart were genuine."​

And another one:

"On Dec. 6, 1970, the Stanley Cup vanished along with the Conn Smythe and William Masterton trophies—the third successful heist in 20 months. A hyper-sensitive new alarm system, one that a mouse accidentally triggered earlier in the year, failed to sound because construction workers digging outside had accidentally damaged a critical wire.
“The bad joke going the rounds is that the Toronto Maple Leafs stole the Stanley Cup on Saturday because they won’t get it any other way,” the Globe and Mail quipped.
The next day, the NHL’s Clarence Campbell crushed the thieves’ elation. The original Stanley Cup, he said, was safe in a bank vault. The oldest parts of the trophy had become too brittle to be safely manhandled by celebrating hockey players, so the league had commissioned an identical presentation cup teams could fill with champagne or drop on the ground. (...)
A call did come in to Metro police, but it was Det. Sgt. Wallace Harkness, the head of the Metro police complaints bureau, who answered. The woman on the other end said the gang who had taken the cup intended to drop it in Lake Ontario unless their friend, in prison on a “serious robbery charge,” was released. (...) On Dec. 23, 1970, roughly three weeks after the cup vanished, Harkness woke to a sound outside his home on Presteign Ave. in East York. “We heard a noise and looked out,” he said. “and there they were between the car and the house.” The thieves had abandoned the Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe, and William Masterton trophies on the ground and fled."​

Source: The great Stanley Cup thefts of 1970 - Spacing Toronto

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if I'd classify any trophy decisions in the NHL as cruel (there are actually some award decisions in other sports that I would describe that way) but Potvin's award haul in 1981 annoys me. To me he is the obvious Norris and Conn Smythe winner, but he walked away with nothing... other than the Stanley Cup. In general the early 1980s features many strange voting results, as does the early 1950s.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Recently:

Weber losing two Norris by infinitesimal margins back-to-back in 2011 and 2012.

Doughty got robbed of the Smythe in 2014.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
To me the biggest joke of an award not awarded remains Gretzky not winning the Pearson in 1986.

I love Lemieux - I think Lemieux should have won out more awards in 1989 for example - but in a season where Gretzky has 22 more assist than any other player has points, and in a season where he outscored 2nd place in scoring by 74 points - I don't understand why Lemieux won the Pearson award. It's the stupidest thing i've ever seen in regards to awards at the NHL level.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Potvin's award haul in 1981 annoys me. To me he is the obvious Norris and Conn Smythe winner, but he walked away with nothing... other than the Stanley Cup. In general the early 1980s features many strange voting results, as does the early 1950s.

i wonder if something changed around then, like maybe a flood of new phwa members who either didn’t watch as many games or were less experienced hockey watchers?

doesn’t really make sense though, given that the three of the four new teams were in canada so those cities’ sports reporters should theoretically not be hockey novices.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
i wonder if something changed around then, like maybe a flood of new phwa members who either didn’t watch as many games or were less experienced hockey watchers?

doesn’t really make sense though, given that the three of the four new teams were in canada so those cities’ sports reporters should theoretically not be hockey novices.

I don't know what it is. Regarding Potvin, my theory is that he was just perceived as a prick sometimes so he missed out on some votes come award time, a theory I have regarding Pronger as well. I think that the Langway Norris wins were an attempt at correcting the firewagon hockey that was going on. Things like Liut almost winning the Hart though, it's like temporary insanity. An influx of new voters is an interesting theory.

Last edited:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Not an award but Eichel missed out on top 10 in points per game and a $2M bonus because Draisaitl scored a goal in the 3rd period of the late game on the last day of the year. The other 1229 games that year had all finished being played when Draisaitl scored.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
To me the biggest joke of an award not awarded remains Gretzky not winning the Pearson in 1986.

I love Lemieux - I think Lemieux should have won out more awards in 1989 for example - but in a season where Gretzky has 22 more assist than any other player has points, and in a season where he outscored 2nd place in scoring by 74 points - I don't understand why Lemieux won the Pearson award. It's the stupidest thing i've ever seen in regards to awards at the NHL level.
It would actually be interesting to hear from some of the voters - why did they vote for Lemieux? They are the only people who could tell us.

I looked up an old article, and the vote wasn't even particularly close. Lemieux 137, Gretzky 107, apparently Coffey and Robinson 3rd and 4th.

I do remember there was a lot of talk about Lemieux that season. He really broke out, some people were saying he was (or was going to be) basically Gretzky 2.0, others were sceptical of that, but everybody was mesmerized by his talent. There was a lot of excitement about him that season.

Last edited:

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
I don't know what it is. Regarding Potvin, my theory is that he was just perceived as a prick sometimes so he missed out on some votes come award time, a theory I have regarding Pronger as well. I think that the Langway Norris wins were an attempt at correcting the firewagon hockey that was going on. Things like Liut almost winning the Hart though, it's like temporary insanity. An influx of new voters is an interesting theory.
I don't believe the Langway correction theory. There is no evidence for it. I think most voters believed - rightly or wrongly - that Langway was the most dominant defenseman in the NHL.

After all, it's not as if those are the only 2 seasons in which he got Norris votes. If he hadn't missed 14 games in '81-'82, he might have won that Norris too (although the same can be said for Bourque).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't believe the Langway correction theory. There is no evidence for it. I think most voters believed - rightly or wrongly - that Langway was the most dominant defenseman in the NHL.

After all, it's not as if those are the only 2 seasons in which he got Norris votes. If he hadn't missed 14 games in '81-'82, he might have won that Norris too (although the same can be said for Bourque).

I don't buy that most of the voters believed that Langway was the best or most dominant defenceman, but certainly some must have. I do think that he was the best player defensively those years. I also think that the improvement in Washinton's record also played a role, possibly a very significant one. Howe finishing ahead of Langway in all star voting is also peculiar, but the voters aren't going to come out and explain it now though so what do I know really. It's also seems like quite a stretch that Langway might have won the 1982 Norris and gone from ninth and third on his own team into first had he played 10 more games (as Wilson did) or so. For whatever it's worth Potvin and Beck also played fewer games than Langway did that year but finished ahead of him in voting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->