Crowdfunded signing bonuses?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I wonder if the league would step in if fans crowdfunded for a player to take less on contract. Like a signing bonus or whatever. Like shave 500k off the AAV and get a crowdfunded signing bonus of 2 mil or something.

No need to get negative with this...its just a though experiment.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If this was strictly crowd funded, without interference from the league what would it have to do with the league?

There would be no league involvement?

Are sponsorship deals included in salary cap calculations?
Basically this.

If it's completely outside funded and leafs management has nothing to do with it, it's not illegal.

Someone reaches out to Nylander and says, hey I'll raise you 15 million if you take a 15 million dollar cut on your salary... It's two seperate agreements.

He'd never be advised to take it, but I don't think it'd be illegal persay

Reactions: Brock Radunske

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
So basically more of a disadvantage to the smaller market teams?

Compare crowd funding the habs/leafs/bruins/nyr etc to ariz ott .....

same shit goes in reverse if it were the NBA...crowdfunding the lakers or celtics versus the raptors lol....we wouldn't sign anyone ever even dusters

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If this was strictly crowd funded, without interference from the league what would it have to do with the league?

NHL ticket prices to put butts in seats are strictly fan/crowd funded and used directly to pay NHL player salaries already.

The Salary cap itself is based on league HHR and allowable spending on players based on crowd spending.

Its all apart of the circle of life in the NHL as part of the CBA. However Hard Cap = Hard Rules !!

I remember during the lockout all the creative ideas that came out like hiring the player's wife by the organization and paying them millions to offset player AAV contracts , or the owner buying the player a mansion or a yacht as part of a signing bonus to lower cap hits or Bill Gates tossing in a cool $10 mil to his favourite team to help them pay player salaries but not count against the cap..

However all these loopholes were considered and the CBA written to prevent cap circumventing tactics. :wg:

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Fans stepping in to assist billionaires in a multi-billion dollar industry to offset cap-structures of $80 million dollars in order to sign multi-millionaire athletes (on top of what's already paid in support ie cable, merch, tickets, etc...) feels like a plot completely lost.

Valuable thought experiment though. It hadn't occurred to me before.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
MLSE should have simply fund raised the full 7 years @ $11 mil or $77 mil total and handed it to JT upfront, and then signed Tavares for $1/per season instead of the $11 mil AAV.

Other than being against league rules to do so, its not a bad idea.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I'm not going to give a dime of my money to a multi-millionaire athlete in order to convince them to play hockey in a particular city.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I wonder if the league would step in if fans crowdfunded for a player to take less on contract. Like a signing bonus or whatever. Like shave 500k off the AAV and get a crowdfunded signing bonus of 2 mil or something.

No need to get negative with this...its just a though experiment.
I got five on it!!! Maybe even ten!

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

That's what I'm thinking. Cant punish the team for something fans are doing.
Similar to how some teams forced change via billboards, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad