Proposal: Crouse to the Canucks

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hey coyotes fans, Canucks fan coming in peace.

Just wondering what crouse’s trade value is and what the yotes needs are.

picks? Prospects? Similar more offensive upside? Older more proven player?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hey coyotes fans, Canucks fan coming in peace.

Just wondering what crouse’s trade value is and what the yotes needs are.

picks? Prospects? Similar more offensive upside? Older more proven player?
It’s a prospect you don’t want to part with. Podkolzin.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He has to play tough or he will gone from the league. His skills are junior level and for a 11th overall pick he is nearing bust level.
What a load of horse shit.

Crouse will be a 20-30 goal scorer as early as this season. He was never going to be a PPG player despite being taken at 11. He was drafted to be a physical forward who scores 20. That’s what he is.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Wow I was thinking along the lines of Adam Gaudette. Similar age player who’s shown more offence at a more important position

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's interesting only because he's a center. I'd probably keep Crouse. 15-20g's, PK's, size and speed. Good motor. If we choice had a heavier lineup, trading him would be easier.
I think Gaudette and Virtanen would be interesting targets for a trade. Not sure we have the right pieces.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's interesting only because he's a center. I'd probably keep Crouse. 15-20g's, PK's, size and speed. Good motor. If we choice had a heavier lineup, trading him would be easier.
I think Gaudette and Virtanen would be interesting targets for a trade. Not sure we have the right pieces.
Crouse and Fischer or Hinostroza?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’m sure he could be re-signed for a similar contract. He’s a RFA I expect something like 2-3 years at 1.3 to 1.8M for him
Really? I was expecting like 3-4M for 2-4 years. Maybe I'm over exaggerating what will be a 2 year deal while the league gets out of the flat cap over the course of a year or 2. In fact the more I think about it, the more a 2 year/2.5m contract makes sense.

I'd still want to add Virtanen to any deal coming out of Vancouver. He's a guy I could see having a 4-5 year stint as a 25 goal guy while bringing a lot of physical play before his body starts to call it quits. Crouse is probably not too different but I get the sense that he'll do it for longer and bring a better defensive game that he can fall back on.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Really? I was expecting like 3-4M for 2-4 years. Maybe I'm over exaggerating what will be a 2 year deal while the league gets out of the flat cap over the course of a year or 2. In fact the more I think about it, the more a 2 year/2.5m contract makes sense.

I'd still want to add Virtanen to any deal coming out of Vancouver. He's a guy I could see having a 4-5 year stint as a 25 goal guy while bringing a lot of physical play before his body starts to call it quits. Crouse is probably not too different but I get the sense that he'll do it for longer and bring a better defensive game that he can fall back on.

I don’t think there’s a way to get both Gaudette and virtanen for the yotes. Unless you were to offer to take Eriksson too and give us crouse. But I mean you could make an offer still but not sure who else I’d want from y’all that would be realistic.

when it comes to gaudette’s salary maybe I’m under exaggerating it but 3-4M is way too high especially with a flat cap. He’s up for an extension now. He’s not a 3-4M player, at least not yet. Even the khl wouldn’t give him that. At most a 2M 2 year bridge is as high as he gets. If he gets anything more he owes his agent a huge bonus.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I don’t think there’s a way to get both Gaudette and virtanen for the yotes. Unless you were to offer to take Eriksson too and give us crouse. But I mean you could make an offer still but not sure who else I’d want from y’all that would be realistic.

when it comes to gaudette’s salary maybe I’m under exaggerating it but 3-4M is way too high especially with a flat cap. He’s up for an extension now. He’s not a 3-4M player, at least not yet. Even the khl wouldn’t give him that. At most a 2M 2 year bridge is as high as he gets. If he gets anything more he owes his agent a huge bonus.

I agree, I don't see a deal where both guys are coming our way without sending a low cost upgrade to you, which we don't have. As for Gaudette, I don't get to watch him nearly as much as Nuck's fans so I'll defer to your judgement on the contract outlook..

I really should have been more clear in my phrasing though, Virtanen in the player in your org that I would like to get my hands on if I were the GM. At this point he wouldn't come at a premium and could still explode offensively. Gaudette is fine and we need centers, but we need #1 centers and I don't think that's in Gaudette's future. Virtanen in my mind fits a need for us.

When you really boil it down to the roots, the Yotes need to shed OEL, Stepan, Goligoski and Kessel for whatever picks/prospects we can get at this point. We have a young core that needs a star or 2 that will fit into our timeline. I'd rather puck up some low cost, character vets that hit everything that moves to keep any "goons" focus from the young guys. I miss that about the Don Maloney Era. If any of those players make sense for Vancouver and you have pieces that fit the description coming back I'd be all ears. I need more Crouse on the Coyotes though.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I agree, I don't see a deal where both guys are coming our way without sending a low cost upgrade to you, which we don't have. As for Gaudette, I don't get to watch him nearly as much as Nuck's fans so I'll defer to your judgement on the contract outlook..

I really should have been more clear in my phrasing though, Virtanen in the player in your org that I would like to get my hands on if I were the GM. At this point he wouldn't come at a premium and could still explode offensively. Gaudette is fine and we need centers, but we need #1 centers and I don't think that's in Gaudette's future. Virtanen in my mind fits a need for us.

When you really boil it down to the roots, the Yotes need to shed OEL, Stepan, Goligoski and Kessel for whatever picks/prospects we can get at this point. We have a young core that needs a star or 2 that will fit into our timeline. I'd rather puck up some low cost, character vets that hit everything that moves to keep any "goons" focus from the young guys. I miss that about the Don Maloney Era. If any of those players make sense for Vancouver and you have pieces that fit the description coming back I'd be all ears. I need more Crouse on the Coyotes though.
issue is Canucks need to shed cap space and are soft in their top 6 and bottom 6. So thats why we would be looking for a player like Crouse. Gaudette projects to be a 2C. If he projected as a 1C the cost would be a lot more substantial than Crouse. Gaudette has above average hands and speed, has a great shot, but is below average defensively. This is why he doesn't fit the Canucks future. Petey and Horvat are both young and a lot better than Gaudette. Gaudette isn't fit for a 3C role as he needs sheltering defensively. You can play him with players like Roussel and Sutter (like the Canucks), to make up for his defensive woes, but then you're also limiting the offense he will provide.

Thats why I felt a Gaudette for Crouse swap made sense for these teams. the Coyotes could use a more offensive center, while the Canucks can afford to let him go for a bigger, stronger, faster, more defensively sound winger as the team was gassed having to play against 2 of the biggest and fastest teams in STL and Vegas.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
issue is Canucks need to shed cap space and are soft in their top 6 and bottom 6. So thats why we would be looking for a player like Crouse. Gaudette projects to be a 2C. If he projected as a 1C the cost would be a lot more substantial than Crouse. Gaudette has above average hands and speed, has a great shot, but is below average defensively. This is why he doesn't fit the Canucks future. Petey and Horvat are both young and a lot better than Gaudette. Gaudette isn't fit for a 3C role as he needs sheltering defensively. You can play him with players like Roussel and Sutter (like the Canucks), to make up for his defensive woes, but then you're also limiting the offense he will provide.

Thats why I felt a Gaudette for Crouse swap made sense for these teams. the Coyotes could use a more offensive center, while the Canucks can afford to let him go for a bigger, stronger, faster, more defensively sound winger as the team was gassed having to play against 2 of the biggest and fastest teams in STL and Vegas.

Ah yea, if we had a real coach and scoring were an issue I would be on board but I think our scoring woes are more to do with coaching than our roster. I think we share the same problem where our team is softer than we would like. You and I want to add the same kind of players. :laugh:

I donno, I've been mulling it over and maybe Gaudette isn't such a bad idea for the Yotes just in case Hayton doesn't hit 1c status. If we add Gaudette for Crouse we have to find another big body (that uses it) to play in our top 9 and we absolutely can't play him with either of Kessel or Schmaltz. If Toffoli had a few years left on his deal I would say lets add him and Schmaltz but I'm already hoping we pick him up in FA. No one is taking Kessel off our hands so Schmaltz is the only moveable piece at RW not name Garland. I don't even know what to ask for. Miller and Virtanen are the two I have the most interest in but they go against what you're trying to build. Would Miller work if we took Eriksson off your hands? I know that puts us over the cap so we would need to do a deal to clear some space before this was done.

Crouse + Schmaltz + Fisher/Hinostroza for Gaudette + Miller + Eriksson?

For reference of what's in my head line wise, obviously this shit changes all the time IRL.

Miller - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Gaudette - RW
Soderberg - Hayton - Kessel
Grabner - Stepan - Eriksson

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004

Boy have you come to the wrong place looking for help in that department...

Last edited:
Reactions: _Del_

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Boy have you come to the wrong place looking for help in that department...
wasnt looking to do that here. Gaudette for crouse would be about an equal swap in terms of salary

Ah yea, if we had a real coach and scoring were an issue I would be on board but I think our scoring woes are more to do with coaching than our roster. I think we share the same problem where our team is softer than we would like. You and I want to add the same kind of players. :laugh:

I donno, I've been mulling it over and maybe Gaudette isn't such a bad idea for the Yotes just in case Hayton doesn't hit 1c status. If we add Gaudette for Crouse we have to find another big body (that uses it) to play in our top 9 and we absolutely can't play him with either of Kessel or Schmaltz. If Toffoli had a few years left on his deal I would say lets add him and Schmaltz but I'm already hoping we pick him up in FA. No one is taking Kessel off our hands so Schmaltz is the only moveable piece at RW not name Garland. I don't even know what to ask for. Miller and Virtanen are the two I have the most interest in but they go against what you're trying to build. Would Miller work if we took Eriksson off your hands? I know that puts us over the cap so we would need to do a deal to clear some space before this was done.

Crouse + Schmaltz + Fisher/Hinostroza for Gaudette + Miller + Eriksson?

For reference of what's in my head line wise, obviously this shit changes all the time IRL.

Miller - Dvorak - Garland
Keller - Gaudette - RW
Soderberg - Hayton - Kessel
Grabner - Stepan - Eriksson

no interest in moving miller. He’s been rubbing off well on our younger players. Really hoping virtanen learns a thing or two as he’s really taken him under his wing. Says he sees a lot of himself in virtanen

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
wasnt looking to do that here. Gaudette for crouse would be about an equal swap in terms of salary
You're missing my point. The Coyotes have the exact same problems you say the Canucks have...

--need to shed cap space and are soft in their top 6 and bottom 6

And are loaded with players (Keller, Schmaltz, Kessel, Hayton) who are...

--above average hands and speed, has a great shot, but is below average defensively
--needs sheltering defensively

Therefore it makes little to no sense for the team to trade Crouse, one of maybe two (Garland?) who play with a little edge in their game, for yet another speed/skill/sheltered forward.

Thus...you're fishing from the wrong hole.

Reactions: Surfshop

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
You're missing my point. The Coyotes have the exact same problems you say the Canucks have...

--need to shed cap space and are soft in their top 6 and bottom 6

And are loaded with players (Keller, Schmaltz, Kessel, Hayton) who are...

--above average hands and speed, has a great shot, but is below average defensively
--needs sheltering defensively

Therefore it makes little to no sense for the team to trade Crouse, one of maybe two (Garland?) who play with a little edge in their game, for yet another speed/skill/sheltered forward.

Thus...you're fishing from the wrong hole.

Ahh okay my bad. Thought you meant just the cap situation. Seems like other fans are open to the idea of the swap but at that point makes sense of it’s not something the team would do in the end

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Ahh okay my bad. Thought you meant just the cap situation. Seems like other fans are open to the idea of the swap but at that point makes sense of it’s not something the team would do in the end
It would just require an additional move or 2 before we could pull the trigger on a deal like that. It's not that the deal is bad but the our current roster makeup makes it tough to support the trade. If Gaudette were putting up 60 you'd probably hear a different tune.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad