Crosby's Right Wing

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Warning - This will be an extremely lengthy post set of posts, because of the limits on media in a post. And full of videos. And what the post about is the results of my curiousity into who'd be Sid's best right wing next season, so mightn't actually be worth reading anyway.

That's been sparked somewhat by the debate of just how important Bryan Rust - the probable favourite to be that guy - is to the team, and these two posts in particular:

This is the key takeaway from last year:
Whoever was good with Jake/Sid probably had little to do with whoever that 3rd wheel was and more if Jake/Sid were bringing it that particular night (and they indeed did)
So if you're basing it on last year's results, whoever we throw on RW won't make that line appreciably better or worse
But then you wonder if Sid/Jake can duplicate what was a fantastic year- is it repeatable?

And I’d say this is where actual footage is needed because statistically Simon crushed it with Sid and I’d argue out of all three they had the worst chemistry.
Also, I think we are getting a little overboard here in the analytics. Rust and Simon both had solid stat lines analytically with Sid and Jake as a line. Just because one is better doesn’t mean Jake - Sid - Rust wasn’t good.

At the time, I agreed whole-heartedly with ZeroPucksGiven's post. But on further thought, I wondered whether we weren't downplaying the RW's role and to what extent the line succeeded because it was given the hot hand. Also, even if true that Sid and Guentzel were the Alpha and Omega of that line last season, it didn't hold that they'd continue to be so going forwards. I dug out the following stats in reply to ZPG's post:

(Sid and Jake's line stats together)
16/17 RS - 3.50 GF/60 - 56.25 GF% - 3.66 xGF/60 - 57.30 xGF%
16/17 PO - 2.95 GF/60 - 45.16 GF% - 2.46 xGF/60 - 49.22 xGF%
17/18 RS - 1.90 GF/60 - 42.86 GF% - 3.01 xGF/60 - 55.58 xGF%
17/18 PO - 7.11 GF/60 - 73.08 GF% - 2.83 xGF/60 - 58.31 xGF%
18/19 RS - 3.91 GF/60 - 66.67 GF% - 2.89 xGF/60 - 56.89 xGF%
18/19 PO - 1.09 GF/60 - 25.00 GF% - 2.37 xGF/60 - 47.22 xGF%

There's been some big swings there. An optimist would hold that you can see the growth in Jake as a player and that last POs were an aberration and that things will be strong going forwards; they might be right too, but help will be necessary.

Between those thoughts, and thinking "Actually, there is some video we can find" a day after reading Pixies' post, I ended up deciding to do a deep dive into how Sid's various third wheels had performed with him and what might be expected going forwards.

Before I get into the nitty-gritty -

I'm limiting this study to McCann, Rust, Simon and Hornqvist. It is possible that someone else (coughKahuncough) will end up getting a lot of time there, but those are the four where we have reasonable amounts of sample with Sid to look at and I didn't want to make too many guesses on what they'd do with Sid based on time with not-Sid.

All stats are 5v5 as that's the most common scenario for the line. The ability to do Michael Grabner impressions on empty nets is valuable, but shouldn't decide who is with Sid for the majority of the game.

While I'll try to indicate where stats came from in the text, assume all possession stats are from NaturalStatTrick unless indicated otherwise, and all zone entry/exit stats are from Corey Sznajder's work

This study will mainly focus on attacking play and scoring goals; while I do appreciate the necessity of stopping them as well, it's a lot harder to find video on and I wanted to look at stats and video together.

And speaking of video, I've had some trouble embedding the NHL videos. If anyone has a solution, or YouTube links or whatever for the videos involved, please let me know. For the meantime I've included links under what should be embedded, but it's not a great solution.

What do Sid and Jake need?

The qualities of the ideal linemate for the Magician and his apprentice seem the obvious starting point.
For the most part, rounding out Crosby's line is about adding to its strengths as there are very few weaknesses to counteract; Sid and Jake are defensively reliable, play strong possession games, and have extremely potent and well-rounded attacking skillsets. However, there are two areas where I believe the line could be stronger:

1) Physicality
- Guentzel's game, but he is also a flyweight and at times that shows. Crosby's a mini-tank but can still be overmatched, particularly in cases where he's forced to be static and the opposition can be dynamic in their approach a puck battle. Nobody wants a goon on Sid's line but increasing the physicality is useful, particularly when it comes to

2) Zone Exits
- I was somewhat surprised to find out that Crosby was one of our worst forwards for zone exits with possession last season. Guentzel wasn't much better. It's tempting to write this off as one of those things, but I remember the way the line got hemmed in against Columbus in Round 1 of 16/17. That problem disappeared with Sheary, but the two combined means I'm inclined to give some credence to the idea paying a bit of attention to how the third forward on the line does with Zone Exits is a good idea (even bearing in mind that Letang is usually out there with them and good at that sort of thing).

Beyond those two things though, I believe the Penguins should be looking for players who compliment the transition and cycle game of Crosby and Guentzel; ideally players with good hands, vision, speed and a willingness to go to the net. Also, if we continue to give Crosby influence over who's on his line, then compete level and ability in all three zones will be important.

Jared McCann

McCann had 10 games where he was with Crosby for a substantial proportion of the match last season, which can be broken down as follows:

He was first placed with Crosby on the 2nd of March vs MON and played the next two vs CBJ and FLA there; he was moved away for a game then put back there for a five game stretch from the 10th to 17th March (BOS, WSH, BUF, STL, PHI). He did play with Crosby again until the last two games of the season - DET on Apr 4, NYR on Apr 6.

The raw results of that period was that we outscored teams 7-5. Most of the success came in the very first game, where the line had 3 5v5 goals vs MON. Most of the fail came against STL, where the line gave up 3 5v5 goals. Take those two games out and you're left with a very boring but successful period of games, which was consistent with the Penguins in general in March. Some will be saying at this point "But they scored a lot more goals!". They did, but those were ENers and not 5v5.

So how did McCann and Crosby score? This goal, the first they combined on, probably tells the best story:

In it, McCann makes the all important interception by reading where Jordie Benn will try to put the puck. He has the hands and IQ to find Crosby, whose quick interplay with Guentzel sets up the goal.

Out of the line's 7 goals, 3 came from pressuring the opposition into a mistake in their own zone and quick passing to set up a fantastic opportunity, including this highlight reel steal by McCann. This is both good and bad; good in that it displays how effective McCann's IQ and hands can be, bad in that it's somewhat unsustainable. There's simply not that many lines scoring half their goals from defensive zone turnovers. If we're talking consistent scoring, we're probably talking off of zone entries and off of the cycle.
Crosby's line only scored 3 goals in those scenarios with McCann on ice (one goal was directly off a face-off win) and McCann only registered a point on one of them; this breakaway effort:

It's a blink and you miss it type assist, but McCann's ability to spot the breakout pass quickly and make it accurately after receiving the puck with his back to the opposition net is vital. McCann receives more than the occasional piece of criticism regarding tunnel vision (including from me) but this video, and the opening one, shows what he can do as a playmaker. The question has to be is whether those videos are representative; after all, these are the successes. What happens in the failures?

And what does it mean that McCann's involvement in these goals is solely about being defensively responsible and making quick bang-bang plays, and never holding onto the puck to make a play himself? The one goal on the cycle that Crosby's line scored with McCann there shows him being responsible and diligent, first battling with opposition dmen then falling back to cover for the activating Maatta, but not involved with the puck.

It's not like one can easily find evidence of McCann's creativity elsewhere with the Pens; in fact, I believe he only had 2 assists without Sid on ice his entire time here. One of them was Blueger scoring off of his rebound and the other was a simple pass to Bjugstad. Maybe there's evidence in Florida videos, but that falls outside the scope of this research. It looks strongly like McCann just doesn't do great with the puck on his stick for extended periods of time. That could be a problem.

He didn't seem to be scoring goals himself with Crosby either which could also be a problem. The source of that's not hard to find. While McCann has a very nice release and likes to shoot (only Pearson had a higher s/60 as a Pens forward last season), he does so from unprofitable areas. Only Grant, Brassard and Cullen had a lower rate of scoring chances; only Grant and Sprong had a lower rate of high danger chances. Not getting close to the net doesn't bode well for playing with Sid at all, and might explain a little why so few goals went off from cycling opportunities for the line. That said - the line's HDCF /60 remain unchanged at 14.06 with and without McCann. So maybe that isn't the reason.

In any case, the video and stats suggest that as an ideal attacking zone wing for Crosby, McCann is a work in progress. His zeal in performing his defensive duties has helped create goals and he is capable of the bang bang plays beloved by Sid. His ability to hold onto the puck and create plays, as well as score 5v5, both look to need improvement - it is difficult to imagine him sticking long term with Sid without improvements there, particularly if Crosby or Guentzel go dry.

Outside of the attacking zone, we have to rely on McCann's stats in Florida for exit and entry, which means caveat emptor on all of this. He was one of their better zone exit choices as a forward - better than average at exiting with possession and very safe - but a void in terms of entering it. Arguably, this works out - he is strong at least season's weakness and they are strong at his weakness. If McCann's presence on Sid's line lets Sid spend a bit less time deep in his zone, that could be a bigger attacking boost than anything anyone can do in the opposition zone. Whether it does work out in practice remains to be seen. In terms of possession he was remarkably similar to Crosby's line without him except for a startlingly low HDCA/60 (which was consistent with the team as a whole in March); as a result, the line with McCann's xGF% was 5% higher than the line without, although the line’s xGF was 0.1 lower with McCann. However, given how absurdly good March's stats were, this doesn't feel sustainable.

In summation, I would suggest that McCann looks like he'd overall neither detract or add significantly to Crosby as a rule, but if he continues to improve or joins the line on a hot streak, he could be a great option.

Patric Hornqvist

Hornqvist started the season on Crosby's line, playing over 10 minutes vs WSH and MON. He played 4 minutes with Crosby the next game vs VGK. His next return to the line was vs DAL on the 21st of Nov; he played the next game vs BOS, then not again until 23rd Feb where he played PHI, CBJ and BUF.
The raw results is that we outscored teams 7-4. Most of the action took place in the first game of each mini-period, with Crosby's line scoring 2-1 vs WSH, DAL and PHI. I will return to this at a later date, but there seems to be some evidence for Crosby thriving off of fresh linemates.

Posting video of what Hornqvist offers to Crosby and Guentzel seems to be the most redundant thing I could do. We all know what he does. He'll offer screens. Hornqvist will offer all the screens. He will pick up loose pucks and either score himself (not with Guentzel there but whatevs), or he'll pick them up and pass to someone in a good position. That goes for in the defensive zone too - this isn't as impressive as McCann's breakout pass, but it still got the job done.

His best contribution to a Crosby line goal is this one though:

Something people often bring up about the need for quality to support Crosby and Malkin is "What happens when the opposition double team the star and ask the support players what they're going to do about it?". In this case, Hornqvist keeps skating until Columbus have to pay attention to him, at which point he makes a neat little pass to an unmarked Crosby who can find an unmarked Guentzel. That's how goals happen. I'm not saying that's what Hornqvist does everytime - if anything, the fact I only have one video of this for you tells its own story - but it is good to be reminded every now and again that Hornqvist can make things happen if given space and isn't just good within the 10 yards around each net. And it happens because Hornqvist backs himself. Would the younger kids do that, or would they force a pass early to Crosby or Guentzel?

It should also be noted that that's the 2nd goal that started with Hornqvist collecting a puck in his own zone and making a simple play. As the chart for Crosby shows, Hornqvist was the Pens' 3rd best source of controlled zone exit among forwards last season. There is, sometimes, a perception that Hornqvist is something of a black hole when it comes to transition play. It's justified - nobody did worse than Hornqvist for controlled zone entries for the Pens last season - but not the whole story.

Hornqvist also had strong possession stats; the line with him beat the line without him by at least 3% in all of HDCF, SCF, FF and CF shares. Unsurprisingly the line was 3% higher of xGF% too; it was projected to score a tad less, and concede a lot less. This supremacy in possession stats was true last season as well.

One can somewhat understand Crosby's reluctance to play with Hornqvist; he is not great at giving the line clean opportunities to play in the offensive zone, he can't play at the same speed as Crosby and Guentzel with the puck on his stick. But things still work there and not just due to Hornqvist's ability to lurk near the net. And the line becomes better defensively. One doesn't entirely understand the reluctance; it is frequently a better line with him there. Based on this glance, it looks one of the safest versions of Sid's line, and Hornqvist's great strength will probably make it likely to be involved come the POs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dominik Simon

Simon's first proper game with Crosby was the 30th of October vs NYI, but the line scored 2 goals in 2 minutes vs VAN the game before; it continued for another 3 games (NYI, TOR, NJD) at the start of the great barren run, scoring 5 (including VAN game) and conceding 1. It was put back together on 24th Nov for another five games (CBJ, WPG, COL, PHI, COL) as the team turned its season around with 4 wins in 5 games (scoring 7, conceding 4). It returned for another 5 games on the 19th Jan (VGK, NJD, TBL, OTT, TOR; scored 5, conceded 3) but then fell from favour, only getting CBJ on the 9th March and 5 minutes vs DET on 2nd Apr, conceding a goal then (but scoring one on a on the fly shift vs NYR).

The raw results is that it outscored teams 18-9. That's basically a goal per real game they played.

The first goal of the line last season neatly demonstrate's Simon's best attribute - that of finding Crosby when he's moving with pace into space and wants the puck:

Here he is doing it again. And again. And...

That one is my favourite. The anticipation to realise where the puck would go - the strength go keep his feet long enough - and the vision and pass to give Sid one of his easiest goals. That goal to me is Simon in a nutshell and it's why I strongly disagree about Simon not showing chemistry with Sid. Anyone who so instinctively knows how to find him again and again has chemistry.

Of course, that's not the only thing he can do. He can battle along the boards. He can find soft areas - he gets lucky with the result there, but he's in the right area to get the puck and make something happen and that's the right process. He's useful around the net.

Something he did very well last season was hound people. Simon never got a point for this, but he was the man who made it possible:

He displays something of that knack on this PP goal too - its not a wonderful example of a forecheck or board battle, but it was persistent and forced a weak play and that's all that's needed sometimes. Nobody will ever mistake Simon for Hagelin or Hornqvist but he's persistent and smart and uses what muscle and pace he has well.

Basically he seems to do everything you want from a guy in the offensive zone except score. He did net at least one on the Crosby line - this tap in vs Vegas - as well as his lucky deflection, but it's not as much as you'd expect to say the least. Tbh, I'm sitting here wondering if I'm missing ought, as I've been over three wings and they've barely got any goals on this line, and at very best Sid and Jake accounted for 50 of the 72. Granted, this three didn't play even half of Sid's games but even so, its weird.

Outside of the attacking zone, we all know the tale of Dominik Simon, possession demon. It's why the line with Simon had an xGF% 10% higher than without. It will also probably shock nobody to learn he has some of the best zone entry and exit stats on the team. However, there have been times when I feel like he's been stuck in his own zone and not strong enough to win the board battles that would get him out. Does that lie behind the line's low goaltending percentage? Maybe, but I'm more inclined to focus on the line being put together most often when the team was in a rut.

That's fairly faint cavilling in any case. Simon's stats last year with Sid and Jake were frankly mind-boggling and I believe the footage of their goals demonstrates that this was no fluke and he was no more a passenger than any other wing would have been. His passing and his willingness to get his nose dirty were on display.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bryan Rust

This one might take a while.

Rust played 8 minutes vs VGK 11th Oct (1-1), then has a decent chunk of time in 3 of the 4 games starting 18th Oct (TOR, EDM, CAL, VAN) - line only scores in the sub-minute game vs CAL though.

7 minutes vs BOS 23 Oct - scores a goal 1:39 vs CBJ the next night - scores in 5:25 vs NYI 12th Dec.

First full run comes 14th Dec - in the next 17 games, he's with Sid every night and under 9 minutes only twice. 12-5, but 8 of the goals come in the first 6 games.

Then the 10 games from 2nd Feb - 6-4; then the 7 games from 19th March.

The raw results are 26-13, a far cry from the xGF% of 51.97. He mainly beats PDO on the goaltending end - 94.44%, which may be as simple as plenty of time with Crosby in the months Murray ran hottest and little in the months he didn't. Of course, that sort of xGF% isn't necessarily to be expected; GCR had an xGF% of 61.29 last year.

Anyway, the main thing Rust did on Sid's line this year was score. Like this:

And I do mean main thing. Rust assisted on a grand total of 4 Crosby/Guentzel goals all season. Okay, and 3 Letang goals. Most of them were pretty basic too, like this chip or this lay-off, although this one took some hands:

The most interesting part isn't Rust's assist itself though, but his breakout. That speed is Rust's calling card and most of Rust's points on this line came straight from the zone entry. In this case, Rust's ability to carry it quickly up ice then make the pass opened up the opportunity for the chaos that led to the goal.

Speaking of chaos:

Rust's goal puts Penguins ahead

This was a classic dirty goal but again, watch the whole thing. To me, Rust did a fine job to help keep the puck alive, but his decision to try and pass it to Guentzel maybe wasn't so hot - or if it was, the execution mightn't have been. It kept bobbling around and the Penguins were able to score but when people talk about Rust's weaknesses as a playmaker, it's this type of awkward forced pass I think of.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This assist to me is the typical good Rust assist. He makes a simple play in the neutral zone to put Crosby in space, then goes makes a nuisance of himself in front of the net to help make space for Jake. Keeping his game uncomplicated is what tends to give Rust the best chemistry with Crosby and Guentzel. This is another good one too - good wheels to keep up with the play, then a nice unselfish pass - and here's another easy pass to the point. Rust may never be a great playmaker, but he can be a perfectly adequate distributor.

Going back to Rust's goalscoring though for a moment - he was definitely the forward who contributed most there other than Crosby and Guentzel last season and going forwards, might be the guy who'd do so again. He's always that knack for scoring, albeit in bursts; he can ping them off the post, he can prod in greasy ones, he can pull moves like this one:

Rust failing to get on the scoresheet with Crosby and Guentzel isn't uncommon. He only had 2 points on that line in the 16-17 playoffs despite spending most of his time there. But if the line prospers, and all players involved get points that don't involve each other, how much does it matter? How much can you improve things by getting a guy who's more directly involved?

Certainly that's the big question against Rust. Outside the attacking zone, his transition stats are solid, he plays well in his own zone - maybe not as much last season, but he's definitely done it in the past. Sid likes playing with him. The big risk to Rust's chances of playing a lot more time with Crosby, assuming he's not traded, lies simply in whether the line will score enough points. If Rust's meat and potatoes style isn't paying off, it'll be an obvious choice to look for more creativity with Simon or even McCann.

Conclusion

There's a lot left to be said (stats, history) but this thing has already grown beyond my control so I'm going to wrap it up.

The first thing to be said is that based solely on last season, Crosby has 4 good third wheel W options here. To a certain extent, this is a question of fine tuning rather than outright superiority. Any of them when in form will do well (and none of them should be near there when not).

The second is to point at the possibility that frequent rotation of wingers aids Crosby. The GC pairing always got a bump from its first game with Hornqvist; it scored 3 goals in its first game with McCann; there was a big bump from its first two games with Simon, one of which was only about two minutes together; and a seemingly disproportionate amount of Rust's success with the pairing came from taking odd shifts. I don't have a better argument for why that might be happening than sheer dumb coincidence, but its worth considering.

The third point would be that when you combine the first two, there's no reason not to rotate regularly in terms of effect on Crosby's line. Maybe it doesn't help the rest of the roster but it seems unlikely to have a poor effect on Crosby and Guentzel themselves. Besides, given two of the four players are quite injury prone and a third is likely to be pressed into C quite often, there's arguably not going to be much choice.

Going back to pixies' original thing about the video showing who Sid has the worst chemistry with - for me, it's definitely not Simon. Personally, he showed a very good understand of when and where Crosby wanted the puck - and how to get it to him. He showed what I'd define as the best chemistry, followed by McCann - although I must add caveats that the moments of worst chemistry are by definition not shown here.

Crosby and Rust have an odd chemistry in they seem to understand what needs to be done to get into the offensive zone but once there, Rust doesn't always make the best play or show the best understanding of where his team mates are going. Personally, I'd put his chemistry below Hornqvist, although again we seem to be choosing between good and great. Despite that though, in-form Rust is arguably the best option for his line; his speed means the line is dangerous even when not dominating and it adds a third goal scorer to the line. Rust has to understand his limitations for that to work though and work to his hardest. Rust should be creating the sort of turnovers that McCann and Simon did.

I'm expecting Rust to get the nod. I believe Hornqvist is probably a better choice but he is clearly not favoured. As for Simon and McCann - both are capable of great things there, but there would seem to be some consistency issues, and both probably need to do better as individual goalscorers to get Sullivan's full trust there. If they can, they're likely to usurp Rust assuming they're not needed elsewhere in the line up. They all offer different strengths though and that could end up dictating usage depending on how Guentzel and Crosby go. If they're struggling to gain the zone, Rust and Simon are the obvious choices. If they're getting in there but getting boxed out from the net, Hornqvist is the man. McCann is the wildcard there, the player with no obvious strong point above the others but with arguably the least weaknesses (other than his failure to get into prime shooting positions).

Anyway. That's enough of that. Thanks to anyone who actually read all of that and here's hoping those videos worked :laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don’t think there is a suitable RW on the team today to play with Sid. All of the candidates have pretty large warts.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll have to give this more consideration when I get home. Like Andy said it sure seems like it's kind of a mishmash of mediocrity and so-so fits. Hornqvist is still the best natural fit for a line already occupied by a 40 goal scorer and a literal legend, IMO. But... doesn't seem to happen a lot for reasons you went into.

Regardless... great breakdown. Really appreciate the work you put into this.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
McCann played LW and shifted Guentzel over. I'm wondering if in training camp Sullivan asks him to try the RW. Jake on the wing he's comfortable at should be the priority. McCann gives an honest 200 foot effort and is highly motivated in a contract year.

If that doesn't work then I'd go to Rust. He finally gelled with Sid and Jake last year near the end. Curious where that leads to in the future.

I'm against Hornqvist or Simon back on L1. They finally found a home on L3 with Bjugstad. It was working. I see no reason to screw with it until they falter. I feel Horny frustrates Sid with his inability to make short passes or control possession on zone entries. It's a dump in every time, and often it's out of reach and right back outta the zone.

Don't really have an opinion on Kahun yet. Need to see a lot more. He's an option too though. I'm encouraged by his strong takeaway-giveaway ratio though. He never takes PIM's either. 3 minors all of last season. Good skater and good young energy.

I believe Galchenyuk's got a little experience at RW as well? After giving a solid 10-15 games with Malkin and it not working, I'd love to see him bumped up. Sid and Jake are more than good enough defensively to cover for his inadequacies there. Legit scoring threat on both wings. Gally's got a nasty clapper.

It's a tough call. 6 options that I can see. 7 if you count Jake.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd love it if we could get an "Everyone Agrees Legit Top 6" wing in to play with this line - even if just for 20 games - and see what the results looked like for comparison. Whether you'd get the best line in hockey or whether a law of diminishing returns kicks in. It's quite possible; even the Boston super line has only got over 60 GF% once in the last three years. Which is kinda why I sometimes wonder if the third wheels aren't doing a better job than given credit for. They're doing better than Sid and the Kids: Wonder-Hobbit edition.

Or maybe someone like Saad would come in and there'd be a massacre.

Anyhoo, the problem with Kahun is that he sounds like a slightly better, quicker version of Simon, and that's cool and all but he still comes with the same downsides and as such I'm suspicious of him being *the* answer. Sure he'll be good on the line, but the permanent 3rd wheel? Doubt it.

And the problem with Chucky is that he doesn't fit with Malkin I'd be scared of putting him with Crosby as the same flaws will exist and also suspect Crosby would put up a big "DO NOT WANT" sign. Hasn't really played RW either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we'll probably see something of a platoon in that spot depending on matchups and who's hot. If you're playing a team that gives up nothing on the rush or maybe has a heavier D you might want Hornqvist there. In all other situations you'd probably want Rust or McCann's speed.

I think Rust is the best fit for Crosby because it's nice to have a righty as a one-time option, even if Rust isn't exactly a sniper, since both Sid and Guentzel tend to gravitate towards the right side boards when carrying the puck through the neutral zone, or even coming out of the corners. Obviously he's got the speed to keep up with Crosby (so does McCann- Hornqvist kinda doesn't) and he's excellent at puck retrieval which is pretty important. He's not exactly a true front-net presence but he will go there. The only downside is his inconsistency, but I'm kind of assuming he'll be more consistent than he was last year, even if his production stays relatively the same. It was pretty obvious he was pressing a little with that new big(ish) contract.

McCann makes more sense with Malkin since he's a natural C that can easily cover the defensive responsibilities when Malkin gets caught deep, he's also got the speed to get back, and he can maybe even take the odd face-off or at least allow Geno to cheat more on draws. However I've heard it suggested (from Yohe I think) that the team supposedly likes him at 3C. But that might've been back before he started scoring like a top-6 wing.

Reactions: TheTang58

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
There will surely be a rotating cast again, depending on who they’re playing and who is hot/cold. It’s really crazy how just about every player option brings something different to the table yet all have drawbacks that don’t make them ideal. My preference is probably Hornqvist if he bounces back, but that never lasts as his blinders and dump and chase style are kind of annoying for Sid.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just really hope Rust isnt the primary guy again this year. He does some things well as Peat so thoroughly outlined, but he doesn't think the game on Sid and Jake's level and too often his tunnel vision makes the line less than the sum of its parts.

Hornqvist doesn't process like Crosby and Guentzel either, but at least when he's out there he's wreaking havoc in the hard areas which always attracts opposition attention.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Rust is the best fit for Crosby because it's nice to have a righty as a one-time option, even if Rust isn't exactly a sniper, since both Sid and Guentzel tend to gravitate towards the right side boards when carrying the puck through the neutral zone, or even coming out of the corners.

Something I didn't mention is that Rust's 5v5 shooting percentage has swung wildly every season in the NHL - something like 5% 10% 5% 13%. Rust sticking at the high end is going to be pretty important to that being an option.

Also, you're right about Sid and Guentzel gravitating to that side (although Guentzel loves getting to be the late trailing option coming into the slot too). And you frequently see two forwards there as well - there's a Jesse article on the Athletic that goes pretty deep into the way the Pens are set up to get zone entries that highlights that.

McCann makes more sense with Malkin since he's a natural C that can easily cover the defensive responsibilities when Malkin gets caught deep, he's also got the speed to get back, and he can maybe even take the odd face-off or at least allow Geno to cheat more on draws. However I've heard it suggested (from Yohe I think) that the team supposedly likes him at 3C. But that might've been back before he started scoring like a top-6 wing.

I've been wishcasting McCann on Geno's line a bit too but one thing I'm kinda wondering is if McCann is with Geno and Chucky, who's going to the net? In that regard at least, Rust with Geno and McCann with Sid makes more sense.

As for McCann at 3C - who knows, we've heard since the start of the summer that they see McCann both as a top 6 forward already, and as a natural centre - don't know which one wins out there.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'm going to offer up what will likely be a really unpopular opinion:

What about Tanev? He's got physicality, complete level and speed for days. Zone exits? Yeah he can do that.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tanev patches the weaknesses but he probably does nothing to amplify the strengths - he may even detract. And to me that, that's a bigger deal. I can't imagine him getting sustained time there without a big step forwards for him.

@Peat you shouldn’t be wasting your talents on us. Start a twitter feed or blog.

This and a few other thoughts I've got are kinda dry runs to figure stuff out and if it goes well, I'll probably start trying to get a proper platform for it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like Kahun as the serious option for Crosby's RW and as a B option, Tanev. Both have closer to the snarl that Dupuis had, the wheels, and can be more of "that type" that fits what Sid seems to like on that side. Simon is a solid player, but physically, he makes Bjugstad look like Bob Probert.

Reactions: Pens and Flames

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Are you sure Kahun has snarl? I thought I read he was more of a speedy skill guy and had 13 hits last season. Admittedly, I don’t watch the Blackhawks much.

ETA: Simon had 89 hits last season

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are you sure Kahun has snarl? I thought I read he was more of a speedy skill guy and had 13 hits last season. Admittedly, I don’t watch the Blackhawks much.

ETA: Simon had 89 hits last season
Sounds more like Simon was hit 89 times. The guy is not physical, he gets to physical areas but I haven't been impressed by his ability to handle those areas well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't say I've heard or seen anything indicating that Kahun has snarl. And to use the Simon comparison, his individual stats don't really paint a picture of a guy getting his nose into dirty areas - Kahun has less high danger chances, draws less penalties, and gives and takes less hits. I'm not saying Simon is some wonderful little bundle of grit and snarl and pestiness here - just that Kahun doesn't seem to be any more of one.

In an interview this Summer with Rick Tocchet, he mentioned that Mike Sullivan believes in sticking with forward pairs (e.g. Sid & Jake) and then having an empty slot which he can interchanged depending on the situation or opponent. Tocchet said Scotty Bowman did the same thing.

This is very true and I should have framed the post more in this light.

That said... I didn't really see much evidence of it being interchanged based on anything other than form. I tried seeing if players drew the same type of opponents i.e. Rust drawing quick teams, Horny physical teams etc.etc. but didn't see much from a cursory look.

The only pattern I saw was that from late Dec/early Jan on, Sully used the "buzz around the net" types of Hornqvist and Simon a lot less and the "Speed speed speed" option of Rust and McCann a lot more after barely using them; and it's possible that option wasn't used before that date because it wasn't really available. Maybe that's a clue that we're about to see a bias towards speed on Sid's line; which mightn't be the best thing imo.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Thank you for the deep-diving analysis, @Peat. Simon had a much more positive impact on those two than I realized.

I think I did a series of polls the summer we acquired Kessel to see what the HF-hive-mind would select as the forward lineup. I may do that again this year.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thank you for the deep-diving analysis, @Peat. Simon had a much more positive impact on those two than I realized.

I think I did a series of polls the summer we acquired Kessel to see what the HF-hive-mind would select as the forward lineup. I may do that again this year.

Yes please - I'm curious to see what people would pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad