Crosby's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Who do you think will win the 1st overall and draft Crosby in the upcoming 2005 NHL entry draft?
my money is on Pittsburgh Penguins(because unless Fleury or Malkin have stellar seasons their team looks like absolute crap, also Mario will most likely not play more then 60 games this season)

Also do you think that something similar to waht happend with lindros could happen? by this i mean when lindros got drafted he was by far the most hyped prospect of the draft and then he was traded on draft day.The trade was:
Philadelphia Flyers traded Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

So do you guys think that Crosby could be traded for a hefty load such as the one Lindros was traded for

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
#2 said:
So do you guys think that Crosby could be traded for a hefty load such as the one Lindros was traded for

Highly doubtful, when you consider the time at which Lindros was dealt (a full season after the draft during which he had a successful stint playing against NHLers in the Canada Cup), and the pure size of the package. Lindros was dealt for four seasoned NHLers, two top prospects (Ricci and Forsberg), two first round picks, and 15 million back when that went a lot further than it does today. If the 15 million was adjusted for inflation, what kind of number would that be now?

May 1, 2003
Visit site
ndhockey21 said:
look back on that trade and flyers must be kickin themselves still.

yup, lol Forsberg alone is more than Lindros everything else is just extra..

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I think he will end up either with the Caps or Rangers. I just see them as the two worse teams. Colombus, Chicago and Pheonix all improved IMO. Even if it was from within (Chi - Thibault's back, Ruutu could breakout etc). So IM not sure who will be in the lottery but Id bet NY and WAS would be in it.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure the Habs will make a move if it's possible. I don't worry about Crosby's future but i would be nice if he ends up with an canadian team.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i think the penguins will be alot better than you think...they were really starting to play well at the end of last season and have made some nice additions (ie recchi)...i think they'll be very improved over last year

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There are about three or four teams that will be in the sucktitude hunt for Crosby, one can imagine, though the absolute worst of the lot is not necessarily a lock for the pick, as every draft lottery since 1997 should reinforce.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If there is a season next year I highly doubt the Penguins end up with a chance of landing Crosby via the lottery.

The defense is better, if nothing else, because of experience. It's not an untalented core, it's just an inexperienced core.
The offense is better, if nothing else, because of experience. It's not an untalented core, it's just an inexperienced core.
The goaltending is better, if nothing else, because of experience. It's not an untalented core, it's just an inexperienced core.

Plus add in Mark Recchi to a team that ended the season very strong...

I mean they're far from contenders, they may suprise some people and sneak away with the 8th spot, but I doubt that.

Considering how many teams are trying to jockey themselves into position to have a bad year to improve their chances at Crosby I can't see the Penguins finishing in the bottom 5.

Which is probably why most Penguins fans won't be nearly as pissed if there is no season compared to the rest of the league.

The Capitals roster, on the other hand, is the definition of suck.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Caps def. picked one of the best times to become one of the suckiest suck suck teams.

Being a pittsburgh fan, I am reluctant to say that we will be out of the lottery for crosby. I dont think we will be in the top spot going into the lottery, but I think we will have a chance at crosby. Malkin will not becoming over this year(smart move by CP, but would love to see him in the nhl this season) and Fleury has a chance of not even being in the nhl this season(although i would bet he will be and the starter). The added Recchi, but lost Morozov. Defense is still going to be the week point, but it will not be as bad as last year. Mario's healthy is always an issue. So right there, I'm not so sure the pens have climbed high enough to get out of the lottery this season. Now if they sign a Zhamnov/Kovalev/etc., they might climb out of the lottery but not into a playoff spot.

I'll tell you one thing though, a Mario-Malkin-Crosby line could be extremely scary for a year or two.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Because the Penguin's defense is atrocious and shows no signs of improvement, I think they again will be a lottery team, along with the Caps, Rags, Jackets, and someone else.

#2 said:
yup, lol Forsberg alone is more than Lindros everything else is just extra..

No he's not. Right now he is better, but what does Forsberg have over Lindros in terms of their careers? Cups and a superior PPG. Otherwise Lindros has more points, was more dominating in the prime of his career, and even has played more games. That trade is overblown.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Til the End of Time said:
Because the Penguin's defense is atrocious and shows no signs of improvement, I think they again will be a lottery team, along with the Caps, Rags, Jackets, and someone else.

No he's not. Right now he is better, but what does Forsberg have over Lindros in terms of their careers? Cups and a superior PPG. Otherwise Lindros has more points, was more dominating in the prime of his career, and even has played more games. That trade is overblown.

I agree if it wasn't for Lindros's injuries (almost career ending) he would have had the career that everyone thought he would have. IMO when Lindors was playing before the injuries or just getting minor ones there was not a player better in the NHL for all around. IMO as great as Forsberg is, I don't think he is or was as good as Lindros was or could have been.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
moosefan said:
I agree if it wasn't for Lindros's injuries (almost career ending) he would have had the career that everyone thought he would have. IMO when Lindors was playing before the injuries or just getting minor ones there was not a player better in the NHL for all around. IMO as great as Forsberg is, I don't think he is or was as good as Lindros was or could have been.

I know Lindros was a better player than Forsberg before, but right now he isnt. Forsberg is more of a dominating player. The guy has averaged more than a point per game since he first started his career and still continues to do so. Its obvious that right now Peter Forsberg is worth more than Lindros alone. I know if Lindros hadnt run into trouble with injuries he would have probably had a better career than Forsberg, but realistically he did run into injuries and is now struggling.

Also i was wondering if there was a lockout for the whole year next year, how would the draft order be made up?

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I thought this thread would be a request to rename Hockeys Future to Crosby's Future. Which by the way things have been would make sense.

Last edited:

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
trade... probably not...

#2 said:
I know Lindros was a better player than Forsberg before, but right now he isnt. Forsberg is more of a dominating player. The guy has averaged more than a point per game since he first started his career and still continues to do so. Its obvious that right now Peter Forsberg is worth more than Lindros alone. I know if Lindros hadnt run into trouble with injuries he would have probably had a better career than Forsberg, but realistically he did run into injuries and is now struggling.

Also i was wondering if there was a lockout for the whole year next year, how would the draft order be made up?

In terms of Crosby being traded, yes it is a possibility, but I think most teams should take a look at the NHL game now and see that one player doesn't make a team a Cup contender. You need a strong group of players to win, along with great goaltending. So, to move anywhere from 3 to 5 good assets for Crosby might not be the best thing for your franchise to do. Obviously, it will depend on the depth in your organization, whether you feel you need Sidney as a marketing tool, and how good you think the kid will be.

As for the draft order, personally, I feel that if there is NO NHL season, there shouldn't be an NHL draft. Meaning, Crosby, Brule, etc. get drafted in 2006. Wouldn't be fair to the teams, as you never know which team might be ravaged by injuries, ala LA and miss the playoffs, or which of the non playoff teams might drastically improve by 15 to 20 points.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Street Hawk said:
In terms of Crosby being traded, yes it is a possibility, but I think most teams should take a look at the NHL game now and see that one player doesn't make a team a Cup contender. You need a strong group of players to win, along with great goaltending. So, to move anywhere from 3 to 5 good assets for Crosby might not be the best thing for your franchise to do. Obviously, it will depend on the depth in your organization, whether you feel you need Sidney as a marketing tool, and how good you think the kid will be.

As for the draft order, personally, I feel that if there is NO NHL season, there shouldn't be an NHL draft. Meaning, Crosby, Brule, etc. get drafted in 2006. Wouldn't be fair to the teams, as you never know which team might be ravaged by injuries, ala LA and miss the playoffs, or which of the non playoff teams might drastically improve by 15 to 20 points.

Would you think that if their is no NHL that the 05 and 06 draft eligibles be combined in the 06 draft?

Steve Latin*

Foppa_Rules said:
Where is stockwizard these days?

I've been wondering the same thing. I really miss his posts, particularly in the Political Discussion forum where he suggests, for instance, reinstating segregation.

S L

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
#2 said:
Would you think that if their is no NHL that the 05 and 06 draft eligibles be combined in the 06 draft?

Not that you asked me, but I highly doubt it. They should just do a top-to-bottom lottery.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Minnesota Norse Star said:
Don't count out the LA Kings as contenders to win the Crosby Sweepstakes.

No Deadmarsh, Palffy, Allison, Laperierre, Modry.

They didnt have Allison or Deadmarsh last season either so there not going to decline that bad.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
NYRangers said:
They didnt have Allison or Deadmarsh last season either so there not going to decline that bad.

I guess losing your go-to-guy (Palffy), Heart n' Soul (Laperierre) and your D-Stalwart (Modry) does nothing. Carter is UFA, too.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I guess losing your go-to-guy (Palffy), Heart n' Soul (Laperierre) and your D-Stalwart (Modry) does nothing. Carter is UFA, too.

I never said it does nothing, thats putting words in my mouth. I said its not as bad as it seems when you list players that are great players, but didnt even play last season and mad no impact.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Don't count out the LA Kings as contenders to win the Crosby Sweepstakes.

No Deadmarsh, Palffy, Allison, Laperierre, Modry.

I think the Kings still have a descent roster, Frolov should improve and could breakout with some good numbers, Dustin Brown could have an ok year on the 3rd line, Denis Grebeshkov should be playing/helping carry the load on defence.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
the rules...

#2 said:

The current CBA that expires in September calls for the draft to be open to all 19 year olds and above, but 18 year olds can opt in. And you must turn 18 by like Sepember 12th of the draft year in order to opt in. So, under these rules, anyone who is eligible in 2005 would be eligible in 2006, making the 2006 draft really strong. Another issue to consider is what to do with all of the 2005 and 2006 draft picks that have been traded away?

The reason I think there wouldn't be an NHL draft in 2005 if the season is lost is that I think that some of the rules of the draft need to be hammered out in the CBA. By that I mean, I would think that Eurpean born players would want to eliminate the clause that gives teams control over their rights forever, whereas a CHL player can opt back into the draft after 2 years or possibly become a UFA if they don't get signed. Those issues need to be ironed out in a CBA, so realistically, how can the NHL hold a draft without these rules set in place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad