Crosby vs players from 90s

andrjusha

Mar 15, 2008
Fairfax, VA, USA
Yeah, completeness is not equal to better, just more balanced. Foppa is getting puck in the net mostly by playmaking/control, OV mostly by scoring himself.
Crosby is more balanced/complete, had at one point 60G in 82 games running (though spanning multiple seasons and 40G/82 prime average), had at one point close to 100A in 82 games running.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I view Crosby as Forsberg like but with more explosiveness and better finishing ability. To me the fact he had those extra layers to his repitor puts him ahead of Forsberg as a player.

I'm very curious how the major concusion victims in Karyia and Lindros would do in today's game where dirty head shots aren't really prevalent.

Karyia was trending towards being the most dangerous offensive player in the league and was pacing 1.4 plus ppg the year and a half before the Sueter cheap shot. He wasn't the same player after that even if he did finish third and fourth in scoring the two years succeeding it.

Lindros was just dominant with is size and skill and in a league with less hitting and head hunting would really take over and excel.

I'm also curious how Crosby who plays a more in your face game would have held up in the 90's era of head hunting and obstruction.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People think Forsberg and Lindros were as good as Crosby :laugh::laugh::laugh:

My sides. So ridiculous.

Wake up people. Not everyone that played in your childhood was a superhero.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I always saw Crosby as the centre version of Jagr. Both are fantastic along the boards (even now, Jagr can beat current NHLers on the boards...he just can't skate fast enough to play the rest of his game). Both have great shots and Elite passing & agility.

Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman, Lafontaine are on the same level

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I always had Crosby as a NA Forsberg. Early on I felt the comparison on what level they are one as fair. I don’t anymore. Crosby’s longevity takes him to another level. His work ethic for a star level player is extraordinary.

Crosby was inargubly on a another level offensively. In terms of per game production, he is as close to Howe career-wise as any other player (besides Mario and Wayne).

Their best point and PPG finishes are clearly in Crosby's favour.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sweet dreams, Daver. He would have been concussed into retirement, and you know it.

What an interesting way to judge players. So Sakic/Forsberg > Crosby then because "hypothetical scenarios"? Who else from the DPE would you rate higher then Crosby?

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
What an interesting way to judge players. So Sakic/Forsberg > Crosby then because "hypothetical scenarios"? Who else from the DPE would you rate higher then Crosby?

I judged your theory Sid would have fared at least as good, if not better against the 90s era D's. No way he would. Nineties (mid to late especially) were extremely unforgiving towards smaller, injury prone, skilled players -- and it mattered little how well they skated. If anything, Sid would have been injured even more often than he was playing in this cleaned up league. Every superstar that shot up after 2005 except for maybe Ovechkin would have struggled during the DPE. It's easier to "dangle" through a bunch of D's who can do nothing but skate along/stand by/stare. Once it's legit to slash your wrists, hook, hug, hold, it's a different sport.

As for the Sakic/Forsberg/Sid comparisons (I have my reservations about comparing centers and wingers, so no Jagr), Sid obviously has had the best career. I think he's more talented than Sakic, but not Forsberg.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I judged your theory Sid would have fared at least as good, if not better against the 90s era D's. No way he would. Nineties (mid to late especially) were extremely unforgiving towards smaller, injury prone, skilled players -- and it mattered little how well they skated. If anything, Sid would have been injured even more often than he was playing in this cleaned up league. Every superstar that shot up after 2005 except for maybe Ovechkin would have struggled during the DPE. It's easier to "dangle" through a bunch of D's who can do nothing but skate along/stand by/stare. Once it's legit to slash your wrists, hook, hug, hold, it's a different sport.

As for the Sakic/Forsberg/Sid comparisons (I have my reservations about comparing centers and wingers, so no Jagr), Sid obviously has had the best career. I think he's more talented than Sakic, but not Forsberg.

These hypothetical scenarios are simply a ridiculous point to bring up. There is no basis to say that any player does better or worse in any other era.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Ah it's just Troubadour being a keyboard warrior.

I was responding to someone putting out a ridiculous hypothetical. Nice cherrypicking of posts

That's why my keystrokes so elegantly exposed your contradictory statements. Don't be a keyboard coward, Daver. You lost once again. But no worries. There will be dozens of opportunities for recycling all your flawed pro-Sid arguments for years to come.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
No matter what tier you put Crosby on, he's not on the Wayne/Mario tier.

So whether he's generational or not, he's still a tier below those guys.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Getting a slapshot to the face is injury prone? Hitting the boards at 100mph is injury prone?

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
not as 'sexy' a player or physically talented but i disagree and think he was a better overall player who made your team better. and I'm a Ranger fan who loved Jags growing up.
No Crosby is an all time Great. BUT jagr is top 5 player all time in NHL history. If Jagr never skipped the 4.5 years outside the NhL Jagr had real time to break all time records in pont. Hell even after missing 4 years he still ended up #2 all time. Heck When Jarg left the NHL he was already top 10 in NHL scoring. Just saying. Jagr played on terrible teams post penguins and minus the Rangers.
Heck Jarg was the entire Team of the Pens when Lemieux retired, we was the entire team with the Caps and Rangers. Crosby is not the entire Penguins team. Cause Crosby has Malkin.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Crosby is a hybrid Sakic Yzerman Forsberg.. And he is on that tier Level player Hell Jagr was leagues better than those two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad