Crosby vs. Ovechkin (WJC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Statistically, compare the 16 year old Crosby with the 18+ year old Ovechkin at this year's WJC. (I don't know the stats myself)

Also compare all round play.

These 2 are the 2 highly touted "next ones", and who looks to be the better player in the future ?

Is one guy more of a scorer, the other a playmaker ?

Who is bigger or more physical ?

I ask because I hear all about Crosby, but know little about Ovechkin (because he plays far away) except that he is a great prospect.

Thanx.

edit: my reason for this topic is that "Spezza vs. Crosby" is a poor comparison. I am a Sens fan, but Spezza isn't in Crosby's league (it's like comparing Doug Weight with Mario Lemieux). I think Crosby and Ovechkin are more comparible.

Last edited:

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
zenator1 said:
Statistically, compare the 16 year old Crosby with the 18+ year old Ovechkin at this year's WJC. (I don't know the stats myself)

These 2 are the 2 highly touted "next ones", and who looks to be the better player in the future ?

I ask because I hear all about Crosby, but know little about Ovechkin (because he plays far away) except that he is a great prospect.

Thanx.

edit: my reason for this topic is that "Spezza vs. Crosby" is a poor comparison. I am a Sens fan, but Spezza isn't in Crosby's league (it's like comparing Doug Weight with Mario Lemieux). I think Crosby and Ovechkin are more comparible.

You have to wait til Ovechkin and Crosby play in the NHL to know who's the better of the 2 highly touted "next ones"!

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
zenator1 said:

Both have been somewhat underwhelming. Now, unlike a lot of the hype-homers here I didn't (and don't ever) expect these guys to put up numbers like what Forsberg, Naslund, and Bure did in the early 90s, but both guys have still performed a little more quietly that I might have thought.

zenator1 said:

Pretty hard to do that, especially watching something like WJCs. Ovechkin has a reputation among scouts as a complete package, Crosby still has a few years yet to develop those areas of his game.

zenator1 said:

No idea.

zenator1 said:

Not from what I've noticed.

zenator1 said:

Obviously Ovechkin being older and more physically mature. How this turns out in the future is a crap shoot.

zenator1 said:

I think you are being pretty unfair to Spezza there. His play at a similar age is comparable with Crosby's and unlike these two he's actually in the NHL and performing there. No one knows what the future holds, but we do know that Spezza is an NHL regular as of now, while these guys are still prospects.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
These guys aren't even prospects just yet, really.

If I had a choice between taking say Datsyuk and Spezza or Ovechkin and Crosby, I take the first two any day of the week.

We won't know for a good couple of years at least about either of the 'wonderkids.'

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Crospy put up 2 assists in todays semi final game, what exactly about him has been so underwhelming? He has 5 points and 5 games as a 16 year old, personally I would have just been happy if he just looked good at times and didn't put up much as far as points and didn't expect much more. Only fools could have really expected much more than he has given, he is playing little ice time and a little role but in those confines has performed exceptionally and its clear that if team Canada needed him to play a bigger role he is capable of it but with how well the rest of team has played that hasn't been needed.

dats-13

Dec 29, 2003
Still Waiting On Grigs...
MrKnowNothing said:

If I had a choice between taking say Datsyuk and Spezza or Ovechkin and Crosby, I take the first two any day of the week.

We won't know for a good couple of years at least about either of the 'wonderkids.'

datsyuk is not exactly a young guy...he doesn't fit in that group...

hes 5 years older than Kovalchuk

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Imo Sidney is doing better then Ovechkin.He got 5pts in 5 game with only about 10 min of ice time per game.Ovechkin got 6 pts in 5 games and he probably see way more ice then Crosby since hes the main attraction of the team.Plus Crosby is 2 years younger.So you really got to give the edge to Crosby.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
MrKnowNothing said:

Like another poster said, due to Datsyuks age, I wouldnt at all. Even if he was the same age as Spezza I doubt I would. Tough choice but definately not as one sided for me as it is for you.

PotiFan107

Nov 17, 2003
L3DZ3P said:
Well i dont know if you would be so great but Sidney would.

isnt anyone getting tired of this huge hype.. crosby is good .. but give it a rest.. he isnt lemieux yet.. we'll see later..

at this point in time
without factoring age and team

ovechkin is BETTER!! hands down.. so give it a rest.. its obvious

KariyaIsGod*

PotiFan107 said:
isnt anyone getting tired of this huge hype.. crosby is good .. but give it a rest.. he isnt lemieux yet.. we'll see later..

at this point in time
without factoring age and team

ovechkin is BETTER!! hands down.. so give it a rest.. its obvious

See, that's the problem. Ovechkin is not better, hands down. Crosby outperformed him at this tournament, bottom line.

Crosby has been outstanding and really, he has been the creator for most of the offense his line has enjoyed up to this point.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
KariyaIsGod said:
See, that's the problem. Ovechkin is not better, hands down. Crosby outperformed him at this tournament, bottom line.
????
Ovechkin played on a weak Russian team and has over a point a game. Crosby has played on an impressive canadian team and has exactly a point a game.
How is Crosby outplaying Ovechkin?

I won't even touch last year, when Ovechkin was ACTUALLY Crosby's age, and when with a strong russian team (basically the equivalent of this year's canadian team), Ovechkin had two hattricks and was a big factor.

I'm not trying to go into an Ovechkin-Crosby debate.
But to say Crosby has outplayed Ovechkin is totally ridiculous.
And don't come up with the "there's more than points", as it's obvious Ovechkin is as of right now a more complete player than Crosby.

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Evilo said:
????
Ovechkin played on a weak Russian team and has over a point a game. Crosby has played on an impressive canadian team and has exactly a point a game.

I won't even touch last year, when Ovechkin was ACTUALLY Crosby's age, and when with a strong russian team (basically the equivalent of this year's canadian team), Ovechkin had two hattricks and was a big factor.

And don't come up with the "there's more than points", as it's obvious Ovechkin is as of right now a more complete player than Crosby.
Last year Ovechkin was 17.PLus ovechkin play on russia top line with good linemates.Crosby play on a fourth line with linemates who cant finish the play most of the time.Oh and btw how can you judge these 2 players,i bet you never saw both of them since you are stuck in France.

KariyaIsGod*

Evilo said:
????

So? Crosby was not on a line with any of the top guys.

Russia has plent yof good forwards, probably just as many as Canada. That's not their weakness.

Nothing is obvious.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
dats-13 said:
datsyuk is not exactly a young guy...he doesn't fit in that group...

hes 5 years older than Kovalchuk

I was improvising and creating a scenario of another Russian/Canadain pretty young duo.

Two guys who are pretty much established young stars in the NHL are greater than two guys with all the potential in the world any day of the week in my book.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
L3DZ3P said:
Last year Ovechkin was 17.PLus ovechkin play on russia top line with good linemates.Crosby play on a fourth line with linemates who cant finish the play most of the time.Oh and btw how can you judge these 2 players,i bet you never saw both of them since you are stuck in France.

Well, but Tambellini can finish! Probably Dixon not.

If Sid would play in the 1st line, he would be the Topscorer at the WJC right now. That's so obvious!
This guy is a real scoring machine!

Ovechkin will never be the better player as Sid when they play in the NHL. Ovechkin couldn't lead his team in the WJC final as "C". And he had great line mates!
I believe Ovechkin disappointed at the WJC this year!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Evilo said:
????

At Ovechkins present rate of "improvement" he won't make the Russian team next year. So maybe we will never know!

Dr_Chimera*

THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Well, but Tambellini can finish! Probably Dixon not.

If Sid would play in the 1st line, he would be the Topscorer at the WJC right now. That's so obvious!
This guy is a real scoring machine!

Ovechkin will never be the better player as Sid when they play in the NHL. Ovechkin couldn't lead his team in the WJC final as "C". And he had great line mates!
I believe Ovechkin disappointed at the WJC this year!

Oh, please.

IF Crosby was on the first line? He's not on the first line, because he's not yet good enough to be on the first line... duh!

Ovechkin didn't have a great tournament, because his team didn't have a great tournament, yet in his career in the WJC's, he still has 11 goals in 12 games!!! That still does not suck.

If Ovechkin was on a strong Canadian team, he'd be leading the tournament in scoring, EASILY - now that you want to be all hypothetical.

What about the 2001 WJC's - people remember how Spezza had a good one, while Kovalchuk had a horrible one and Russia was ousted early. Didn't exactly hurt Ilya's career and look who's better!

Ovechkin will be much better too.

KariyaIsGod*

Ferdonnet said:
Oh, please.

IF Crosby was on the first line? He's not on the first line, because he's not yet good enough to be on the first line... duh!

Ovechkin didn't have a great tournament, because his team didn't have a great tournament, yet in his career in the WJC's, he still has 11 goals in 12 games!!! That still does not suck.

If Ovechkin was on a strong Canadian team, he'd be leading the tournament in scoring, EASILY - now that you want to be all hypothetical.

What about the 2001 WJC's - people remember how Spezza had a good one, while Kovalchuk had a horrible one and Russia was ousted early. Didn't exactly hurt Ilya's career and look who's better!

Ovechkin will be much better too.

Nice opinion... Get some facts

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One thing to keep in mind is Crosby hasn't had nearly the same amount attention paid him as Ovechkin has. While Crosby has been "toiling" in relative obscurity on the fourth line on a potent Canadian squad, Ovechkin was on the top line, the focus of the other teams' best defensive players. That makes a big differance IMO.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
You also have to figure in to this whole thing that the WJC is not as big a deal for a guy like Ovechkin. He's already one of the top players in the Elite League and is already physically mature, likely enough that he will be able to step into the NHL right away. His Elite League performance alone makes him the current most standout undrafted player.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
KariyaIsGod said:
Nice opinion... Get some facts
Your previous replies in this thread have been all opinion.

I've seen Crosby play, but I haven't seen Ovechkin. Crosby has been impressive for a 16 year old, for sure, but if I hadn't known his age I probably wouldn't have even noticed him on the ice most of the time.

By all accounts, Ovechkin has been the go-to offensive forward for Russia, but has also come to the tournament with a much improved defensive game.

One thing to keep in mind is Crosby hasn't had nearly the same amount attention paid him as Ovechkin has. While Crosby has been "toiling" in relative obscurity on the fourth line on a potent Canadian squad, Ovechkin was on the top line, the focus of the other teams' best defensive players. That makes a big differance IMO.
Excellent point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad