Crosby vs McDavid (At Age 22)

Who's the More Impressive Player at Age 22?

• Total voters

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It doesn’t matter. Crosby at 22 was a far more seasoned player than Mcdavid is right now. Crosby at 22>
I don’t understand how a 22 year old can be more “seasoned” than another 22. Odd way of boosting Crosby.
I am not comparing Crosby’s playoff resume to McDavids, I simply quoted someone who asked someone else to compare McDavids first playoff to Crosby’s first playoff, which I did. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m strictly comparing their first year like the original poster I quoted asked.

It’s not a hot take to claim that McDavid was disappointing and was clearly outplayed by Draisaitl. Does that make Draisaitl a better player? No, because they’re clearly not the same quality of player. Does that make Draisaitl the better playoff performer? Hard to tell because of the small sample size, but he had a better start even though I expect McDavid to lap him by the end of their careers.
And in that case, it’s pretty much insignificant regardless. Both of their first playoffs were nothing special.

I never said otherwise. I agree he was disappointing. It’s very hard to tell, could have been a fluke for all we know....but at the same time we will never know until they are both in the post season.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Dellow is coming out with an article comparing Sid and McDavid’s on ice impact at their respective ages which should be interesting. Also noted in another article that it’s going to be hard for McDavid to reach Crosby’s peak from 2010-2013, but that if he did that would probably be the difference between them making them playoffs or not.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Dellow is coming out with an article comparing Sid and McDavid’s on ice impact at their respective ages which should be interesting. Also noted in another article that it’s going to be hard for McDavid to reach Crosby’s peak from 2010-2013, but that if he did that would probably be the difference between them making them playoffs or not.

I think their 1st and 2nd seasons are the most comparable in terms of team situation. Both players had eye opening seasons as rookie and lived up to expectations then had solid Art Ross wins and lead their basement dwelling teams to their first playoffs.

Their 3rd and 4th years are pretty night and day in terms of team situations so any stats beyond their offensive production likely need context.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

If McDavid reaches his peak over full seasons there won't even be a debate. His peak should be somewhere in the next 3-5 seasons though so we'll see.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If McDavid reaches his peak over full seasons there won't even be a debate. His peak should be somewhere in the next 3-5 seasons though so we'll see.

What won’t be a debate? Who was better at their peaks? Sure it will, if McDavid has a lesser peak.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
What won’t be a debate? Who was better at their peaks? Sure it will, if McDavid has a lesser peak.

I said if he reaches that level. So far peak Crosby is a bit better, but McDavid will end up with considerably more Harts and Art Ross than Crosby anyway, even if he doesn't quite reach his peak level of play. His team better get making some noise in the playoffs though because that will always be held against him, fairly or not.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
His mere presence? Does his presence make him suck while everyone around him gets to do all the hard work?

Actually Ovechkin was while Malkin our played Crosby. Nice try though. Save himself when it counted? What does that even mean....he didn’t save myself for anything, he simply was out matched and out played.
Right.....McDavid doesn’t have the luxury of having Malkin, And then Kessel.

I know the Pens don’t win a cup and Crosby doesnt have a Smythe without Kessel, especially in round two when Kessel carried Crosby past the Caps and played equally well in the conference finals. But I’m sure Crosby’s “presence” had a lot to do with that.

Because your so sensitive to any and every criticism about Crosby that you resort to making ridiculous claims like his “presence” helps them win while creating an alternative reality where he does no wrong.

We get it, it’s ok. You HAVE to lie, manipulate, and dramatize everything about him in order to cater to your emotions so you don’t get upset.

we get it, you hate crosby

that's the downside to being amazing, a lot of people hate you

and chill out, so much emotion over nothing

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
we get it, you hate crosby

that's the downside to being amazing, a lot of people hate you

and chill out, so much emotion over nothing
Still have to push that ridiculous idea to make yourself feel superior, eh?

You haven’t said one factual thing within this topic and your literally just repeating what I’ve told you, only written in different ways. Is that really all you can do? Call someone a hater and rearrange the wording of their rebuttals to use for yourself?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: varank

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Sid.

Let's not forget, he had to compete against a monstrous fresh-legged Ovechkin early on. Plus Malkin.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sid.

Let's not forget, he had to compete against a monstrous fresh-legged Ovechkin early on. Plus Malkin.

Their regular season production has been quite similar, all things considered. Crosby has the slightly better peak season, and is slightly ahead in terms of PPG dominance over his peers thru their fourth seasons.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Sid.

How on earth he had to compete his own teammate? They've literally generated to each other 122 points in first three seasons. It's Ovechkin had to compete a monstrous four-legged Sidkin the entire career.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How on earth he had to compete his own teammate? They've literally generated to each other 122 points in first three seasons. It's Ovechkin had to compete a monstrous four-legged Sidkin the entire career.

OV and Backstrom have teamed up on a much higher % of points. As have McDavid and Draisatl.

What's your point? I hope it's not to say Crosby needed Malkin to produce. That has been debunked many times over.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Randyne

May 20, 2012
OV and Backstrom have teamed up on a much higher % of points. As have McDavid and Draisatl.

What's your point? I hope it's not to say Crosby needed Malkin to produce. That has been debunked many times over.

No one saying OV or McDavid had to compete against their teammate. Only 'Sid against his teammate' according to some Crosbyfans. I wonder why?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No one saying OV or McDavid had to compete against their teammate. Only 'Sid against his teammate' according to some Crosbyfans. I wonder why?

I disagree with the post you quoted and Boxscore is not a Crosby fan. I just disagree with the angle you have taken though.

Both McDavid and Crosby's numbers speak for themselves and should be judged relative to a sample of their peers, not to one or two other players.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

He had to battle Malkin for the Art Ross, even though they were on the same team, only one player could win it. My point was - prime Ovechkin and Malkin were bigger threats for the scoring title than McDavid is generally faced with.

Oh, and Crosby fan? Me?? Lol. I hate the Penguins and don't like Crosby at all, although I respect him. The Flyers are my team and I still vote Crosby.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Still have to push that ridiculous idea to make yourself feel superior, eh?

You haven’t said one factual thing within this topic and your literally just repeating what I’ve told you, only written in different ways. Is that really all you can do? Call someone a hater and rearrange the wording of their rebuttals to use for yourself?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

where did i say that i was superior? i'm not sidney crosby, he's the superior one here

did you see him remind the league once again that he is the alpha among all alphas at the all star game?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
where did i say that i was superior? i'm not sidney crosby, he's the superior one here

did you see him remind the league once again that he is the alpha among all alphas at the all star game?
Sure buddy, the All Star game is the perfect way of judging the “alphas.” Barzel also had 5 points, is he also superior to McDavid? They aren’t playing like it’s an actual game and this is the same game that made John Scott MVP. John Scott and Sidney Crosby have both won the All Star MVP....

Randyne

May 20, 2012
He had to battle Malkin for the Art Ross, even though they were on the same team, only one player could win it. My point was - prime Ovechkin and Malkin were bigger threats for the scoring title than McDavid is generally faced with.

Oh, and Crosby fan? Me?? Lol. I hate the Penguins and don't like Crosby at all, although I respect him. The Flyers are my team and I still vote Crosby.

No he hadn't to battle with Malkin for any ARs.
It's otherwise, in 2006-07/2013-14 Sid's ARs Malkin wasn't a threat he was a helper (+60P to Sid from other line).

But Ovechkin had to compete against two all-time-greats from the same team for AR:
2008-2009:
Ovechkin 110P, 45P from Backstrom 40,9% (linemate)
Malkin 113P, 53P from Crosby 46.9% (other line)
Crosby 103P, 53P from Malkin 51.5% (other line)
Switch Crosby to any other player and Malkin wouldn't have extra 3 points to win AR

Sorry for calling you a crosbyfan, it's not the first time I read statement like yours, maybe some of them are from his fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad