Crosby vs. Carter - who is in a better situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There has been discussions that Carter will now play wing on a line with Gagne and Forsberg. I also expect Crosby to play with Lemeiux and let's say Recchi for now. So who do you think will have the better year, Carter or Crosby?

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Lemeuix-Crosby-Recchi

Disclaimer: This is in no way a comparison of their futures, just this year for the Calder Trophy. We know Crosby has a significantly higher upside.

The Joker*

Carter has a better line than Crosby. (Face it Mario is old and injured, he's not the player he once was, tho he's still a superb playmaker)

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
You gotta believe that anyone on Foppa's line will have a huge season.
Though the Pens will rely more on their top line than the Flyers will, we play our lines equally.

Still think Carter comes up on top.

Claypool_*

When healthy, Lemieux is the best player in the league. Crosby is in the better situation on the ice, and off the ice. If it's halfway through the season and Carter isn't producing, Clake is always quick to pull triggers on trades.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Claypool said:
When healthy, Lemieux is the best player in the league. Crosby is in the better situation on the ice, and off the ice. If it's halfway through the season and Carter isn't producing, Clake is always quick to pull triggers on trades.

Your post is laughable. Carter isn't going anywhere even if he doesn't produce this season.

Claypool_*

Teezax said:
Your post is laughable. Carter isn't going anywhere even if he doesn't produce this season.

I'm sure Mike Comrie thought the same thing.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Claypool said:

:biglaugh:

trade carter...

really?

no, i'm serious, really?

news flash: there is a salary cap now. the flyers are going to be tight on the salary cap. Carter makes $850K a year, who exactly would they trade him for? why would that make any sense? disregarding the fact that he's part of the face of the franchise's future, and EVERYONE knows that... he isn't moving. do not waste your time considering it.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Claypool said:

yeah... the rumor in philly from the START was that Comrie was going to be moving along at some point... he also wasn't a big center... and we know how much Clarkie loves his big centers...

completely different situation given the financial landscape as well.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Claypool said:

It's a different scenario completely, Comrie never fit in and we moved him because we needed an emergency goalie to come in and help. Trust me, Carter is the best prospect we've had in a long time, he led the AHL in playoff pts and is most definitely not goign anywhere. So expect to see him rip up the NHL in hs rookie season centering a line of Forsberg and Gagné

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Teezax said:
It's a different scenario completely, Comrie never fit in and we moved him because we needed an emergency goalie to come in and help. Trust me, Carter is the best prospect we've had in a long time, he led the AHL in playoff pts and is most definitely not goign anywhere. So expect to see him rip up the NHL in hs rookie season centering a line of Forsberg and Gagné

apparently Hitch was on 610 saying the line would be Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble or something... i didn't listen, friend was telling me. i'd rather have Carter up there, but that is just me... i think Knube/Handzus could be a good combo.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jester said:
do you not understand the expression, "in a long time?"

Yes I do, I simply wasn't paying attention when I typed it out. ;)

How is Carter the best prospect the Flyers have had in a long time when a better one broke into their lineup just one season ago?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
All about the Carter hype-wagon, next stop: Philadelphia!

Honestly, I think some people are getting WAY too ahead of themselves with this kid. I don't think he'll see much top ice time.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
OK, I'm sure he meant best forward prospect, we all know Joni Pitkanen broke in last year. But I really wanted some serious answers about this topic. Carter is not going anywhere, so don't even consider it (and I doubt he'll struggle). Clarke said in his press conference today that the line would be Gagne-Forsberg-Carter. I listened to the Hitch press conference (most of it) and didn't hear mention of Knuble (maybe it was in the part I missed). At any rate, both of these guys will be playing with premier playmakers. As far as Lemeuix vs. Forsberg at this point, I think Forsberg is the better player when they're healthy, Mario's not what he used to be.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Epsilon said:
Yes I do, I simply wasn't paying attention when I typed it out. ;)

How is Carter the best prospect the Flyers have had in a long time when a better one broke into their lineup just one season ago?

point taken... and that would make for a fun debate. at the time they were drafted, Pitkanen was clearly a higher prospect in 2002, but Carter may have surpassed him prior to his arrival in the orange and black.

we shall see.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
It's a tough call. As far as putting up points I think Crosby may be in a better position. He has Lemieux and Recchi on his line. Pittsburgh plays a much more open game than Philly does. Gonchar coming can only help. That gives the Pens 2 defenseman that can hit a streaking forward on a long pass. Pittsburgh's powerplay should be devastating. With all that said, Forsberg has a way of bringing the best out of young players around him, Drury and Tanguay. I think the types of game the two teams play will have more of a factor in this than anything. Both young players will have good linemates. But Pittsburgh tends to play a more open style that I think will benefit Crosby more so than Forsberg will Carter. Sidney is supposedy to be better offensively than Carter which can only help. If he can think 2 steps ahead like Mario does the two of the could be something magical. Mario has never played with a player that thinks on his level except Gretzky in the 87 Canada Cup.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Situation for the Calder, it could go either way. Crosby is better, Carter is older, more seasoned, has a better potential line, and is in no way a slouch. One of my favorite prospects, that coming from a Pens fan. You must also factor in the extra offense the Pens will be getting from the blueline in Gonchar, Tarnstrom, and potentially Jackman and Whitney. Philly's blueline is not nearly as offense oriented. Will Carter get first line PP time? Sid surely will.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bässman085 said:
Situation for the Calder, it could go either way. Crosby is better, Carter is older, more seasoned, has a better potential line, and is in no way a slouch. One of my favorite prospects, that coming from a Pens fan. You must also factor in the extra offense the Pens will be getting from the blueline in Gonchar, Tarnstrom, and potentially Jackman and Whitney. Philly's blueline is not nearly as offense oriented. Will Carter get first line PP time? Sid surely will.
Good point about Carter's PP time, I'm not sure how that will work out. As far as offensive defenseman, Pitkanen and Johnsson are pretty good themselves and the flyers PP will be extremely effective.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not just PP time, but Crosby could be on the shootout quite a bit as well further padding his stats. Will Carter?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I'm not at all convinced Carter will play with Foppa and Gagne.If he does those
are probably stronger linemates than Crosby's but Crosby will also have Gonchar
and there is where you are going to see some real chemistry.

I agree that there are some outstanding questions on how effective Mario will
be.He only scored 1 goal in 10 games in his last year but then again the
rest might be good for him and he should really get a lift from playing with
Sidney.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Jaded-Fan said:
Not just PP time, but Crosby could be on the shootout quite a bit as well further padding his stats. Will Carter?

Shootout's won't pad anybody's stats. They don't count.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
thedjpd said:
Shootout's won't pad anybody's stats. They don't count.
Do you have something to verify that?I wouldn't doubt that you are right
- I'd just like to know for sure.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
pei fan said:
Do you have something to verify that?I wouldn't doubt that you are right
- I'd just like to know for sure.

that's how it works from EVERYTHING i've heard... a game decided in a shootout has one goal added to the team that wins in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->