Crosby signs endorsement deal with Gatorade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
Riiiiiiiiiiight!!! Because Nike would never pick anyone to be their poster-boys from say, Calgary or Vancouver. No, those ads with Iginla and Naslund are a figment of people's imaginations.

:shakehead

I have never seen any ads in the US with either of the two. The last Nike ads I remember seeing were the ones about 10 years ago with Roenick and Fedorov. So the point has been made. Nike is only advertising these players in Canada and not in the US. Crosby might be a different story.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Spungo said:
Look at Gretzky's first year in LA for proof.

Looking at Gretzky's first year in LA for proof?

Hm...I'm looking at a player that WAS WAYNE GRETZKY when arrived in LA. You know, the best hockey player in the world at that time. Known as the 'great one.' - I think that may have something to do with it, don't ya think?

Not some no-name junior hockey star that no one in LA will know who he is . And has yet to step on NHL in a regulation game.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Gatorade not only quenches your thirst better, it tastes better too.
No.
Gatorade.
H2O.
Gatorade.
H2O.
Water sucks. It really, really sucks. Water sucks.

Jack Canuck

Sep 12, 2003
Hawaii
Visit site
York16 said:
'Dog the Bounty Hunter' on A&E
Tuesdays @ 9-10pm ET
Wednesdays @ 8-9pm ET

brah, brah, brah brah brah brah asdlj;fsakd

/error

.selfdestruct

You say it like he invented it. Its just the way people talk down here.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Spungo said:
Toronto, New York or Los Angeles. Nowhere else would Crosby be able to maximize his endorsement potential.
Indeed.... God knows what might have happened if Michael Jordan had played in, oh I don't know... Chicago?

With a national product, a good marketing firm, and a good spokesperson, it won't matter where Crosby plays, the endorsement will be maximized.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
great_one98 said:
So they replaced Bertuzzi with Crosby? They could've done better. :dunno:
Sounds like a good idea to me, now where is Nonis's phone number?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Iconoclast said:
Riiiiiiiiiiight!!! Because Nike would never pick anyone to be their poster-boys from say, Calgary or Vancouver. No, those ads with Iginla and Naslund are a figment of people's imaginations.

:shakehead

just because people get endorsements, it doesn't mean they're maxing out their value. would Iginla sell more jersey's in Toronto than in Calgary? Toronto has like 7x the population of Calgary, so he obviously would. It's not a knock against other cities, it's just common sense

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
arrbez said:
just because people get endorsements, it doesn't mean they're maxing out their value. would Iginla sell more jersey's in Toronto than in Calgary? Toronto has like 7x the population of Calgary, so he obviously would. It's not a knock against other cities, it's just common sense

What I don't understand is, why doesn't every player want to play in Toronto? The size of the contract wouldn't matter, because you'd make it up in endorsements.

I think under the new CBA, all UFA's will sign in T.O. for 400k in order to cash in on all the endorsements in the Hockey Center of the World.

It only makes sense.

A second-liner in NY gets buried in the sports section, but in T.O. he's closer to God than the Pope.

I think my 'Nucks would be better off relocating to T.O. to take advantage of the larger population in order to lure more and better players, too.

Come to think of it, Calgary should just be a farm team for the Leafs, so that players can finally maximize their earnings potential after their stint buried in the sticks.

Spungo*

blitzkriegs said:
Looking at Gretzky's first year in LA for proof?

Hm...I'm looking at a player that WAS WAYNE GRETZKY when arrived in LA. You know, the best hockey player in the world at that time. Known as the 'great one.' - I think that may have something to do with it, don't ya think?

Not some no-name junior hockey star that no one in LA will know who he is . And has yet to step on NHL in a regulation game.

I think you missed the point, brah. Even Wayne Gretzky was not able to maximize his endorsement potential untill he moved to LA. In short, the market you play in *does* matter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
kingsjohn said:
This is great news for Hockey. Gatorade will do a better job of promoting him and hockey than the NHL will ever do.

He can be in a cool commercial narrirated by Keith Jackson...what could be better?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
The Iconoclast said:
No, I think I just proved Spunghead Squarepants wrong. The fact that Iginla has national promotional deals with multiple companies, playing in the small market of Cagary, shows that it does not matter where you are playing as long as you are at the top of your game.

And WTF is "brah"? Sounds like something you do after drinking 10 beers and eating two plates of cauliflower.
You probably have never been to a hockey game before in your life.

It's the sound made by the "California" guy in the "Do I Play Hockey" song.

You know... Well I play air hockey, ball hockey, field hockey.... blah blah blah

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
rwilson99 said:
I think Gatorade (and their trademark Lightning Bolt) would be a natural sponsorship fit for one team in particular.
The Habs

(but god, would that be a logjam up the middle if Crosby got drafted by the Lightning! Then again, they could trade Lecavalier, since he's a "logjam up the middle" to coach)

Last edited:

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
ScottyBowman said:
I have never seen any ads in the US with either of the two. The last Nike ads I remember seeing were the ones about 10 years ago with Roenick and Fedorov. So the point has been made. Nike is only advertising these players in Canada and not in the US. Crosby might be a different story.

Well I live in Tampa Bay and the Nike commerical with Iginla & Naslund was played on ESPN/ESPN2 when the 2004 World Jr. Championships were shown (when the USA won). Great commerical! Maybe you missed it because you were on a bathroom break!?!

I've also seen the Thornton/Lecavalier CCM hockey on a "half-pipe" commercial during national telecasts on ESPN/ESPN2 in Tampa Bay. I think that commerical was released in February 04.

rwilson99 said:
I think Gatorade (and their trademark Lightning Bolt) would be a natural sponsorship fit for one team in particular.

Totally agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->