Crosby rejects $7.5M WHA offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Good for him!!! That shows that his head is screwed on right and that it's not all about money. :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Bergeron47 said:
interesting... A 17-year old making $2.5 million per year is sick. Sick.

Hrm, probably should avert your eyes from the NBA draft.........or some of the bonus dollars that MLB draft picks sometimes get straight out of high school.

// obligatory Alexandre Daigle comment goes here

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I agree it's a good choice by Crosby, not sure if I'd be able to walk away from that but it is good to see his dream of playing in the NHL is more important than making a quick fortune, he knows his payday is coming but it's still got to be tough to say no.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Don_Cherry said:
I agree it's a good choice by Crosby, not sure if I'd be able to walk away from that but it is good to see his dream of playing in the NHL is more important than making a quick fortune, he knows his payday is coming but it's still got to be tough to say no.

Why would it stop him playing in the NHL? Finish his 3 years in the WHA (if it lasts that long) and change to the NHL. He's not going to get more money than that on rookie contract under the next CBA!

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
Seven_Nation_Army said:
well for the people who didn't think the league was a joke in the first place should know now how big of a joke they truly are...

You've got that right. How did the Hamilton franchise make him the offer when he was drafted by Toronto?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
pavel said:
You've got that right. How did the Hamilton franchise make him the offer when he was drafted by Toronto?

From what I understand, Toronto's in shambles. No place to play what with the Baby Leafs moving into the Ricoh Center, no GM, no coach. The last release I saw named teams and completely omitted Toronto. Maybe in some backroom deal Hamilton picked up Crosby's rights?

HughJass*

Hopkinator said:
Good. :handclap:

Crosby showed that not everything is about money. :)

I find that statement hilarious. What would you do if you were offered the money?

I don't give me "but" stuff either.

My ass would be "I'll drive the Zamboni too, boss!" Dude, don't let the wool athletes drape over your eyes fool you, it's always about the money. If one team would pay him a bit more money he'll jump all over it.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
WHurricane16 said:
I find that statement hilarious. What would you do if you were offered the money?

My ass would be "I'll drive the Zamboni too, boss!" Dude, don't let the wool athletes drape over your eyes fool you, it's always about the money. If one team would pay him a bit more money he'll jump all over it.

I agree with that. I guess his agent tought it wasn't a good business move. Dudes, the guy is 17 years old and there's a lot of money involved, do you really think the kid is taking the decisions? I don't think so...

Last edited:

Sutherby

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
WHurricane16 said:

Just like the commercial says..

T.R.U.T.H.

:joker:

If a team offered him say.. 4-5 million a year you don't think he'd jump on it?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Baron said:
I agree with that. I guess his agent tought it wasn't a good business move. Dudes, the guy is 17 years old and there's a lot of money involved, do you really think the kid is taking the decisions? I don't think so...

Who else would be making the decisions? How come turning down a lot of money to do something he never wanted to do in the first place isn't possible?

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
Seachd said:
Who else would be making the decisions? How come turning down a lot of money to do something he never wanted to do in the first place isn't possible?

You think he never wanted to play hockey? I think the kid wants to play hockey at place where he will develop the best. It WHA wasn't seen as a good place for 2,5 million a year. Maybe the contract prevented him to play in the NHL while it was effective. Maybe he was afraid to get hurt in a man league, who knows? It surely isn't, as some posters here try to imply, because he thinks the league is a joke... Any team that offers that kind of money to a young player is pretty serious IMO. Espacially when you consider that they garanteed him 2 million even if the league fold.

He surely has a word on what happens, but his agent is the one he pays to advise him. Do you really think he refused 7,5 million without giving it a second thought? Do you really think he refused the money by conviction? It's a business decision, nothing else. Anyway I think he's still under his parents supervision, he's not on his own yet.

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
man, i really hope this XHL never gets off the ground. smart move by crosby. if he were to play, i think there would be a lot of no-talent hacks taking runs at him out of jealousy

this is clearly not the WHA gretzky started in, and i hope it folds in a hurry because i think a lot of people are going to lose a lot of money

Zetterberg4Captain*

I dont really care, I hate Crosby. Do any of you guys actually like him? He's just a hotdog and I hope someone ends his career before he hits his prime

The Flash

Apr 24, 2002
Korea (South of Cour
Visit site
The league won't get off the ground, meaning that Crosby would get his $2 million, but he would be without a place to play. He would have to try and make a deal to go over to Europe and play. If the league does get off the ground, he could be stuck in this bush league for the next 3 years. Looking at the big picture, staying in the CHL is the smart move for him, both financially and developmentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad