Crosby passes Ovechkin in all-time scoring

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
Only Thornton ahead of Crosby. Should retire soon.
I am wondering who is next in line after Crosby retires?
Kane? Kopitar? (same age, maybe plays longer), Stamkos?
Would not last long.
After that it is Connor McDavid to be active leader for a long time.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Update me when Crosby comes close to Ovechkin in primary points please.

Crosby has often been riddled with secondary point claims. Looking at both of their careers Crosby has had more primary assists than Ovechkin. Obviously, Ovechkin has more goals.

Crosby - 518 PA, 485 G - 1003
Ovechkin - 363 PA, 730 G - 1093

Closer than you'd think. Something that I found remarkable that Ovechkin has only scored more primary assists in 3 seasons; 2007-08 (3), 2009-10 (1), 2010-11 (10). Crosby outscored Ovechkin even in his 2011-12 injury riduled season! (16 PA to 14).

Goals are the only real difference but it shows the real different playstyles of the two

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Crosby has often been riddled with secondary point claims. Looking at both of their careers Crosby has had more primary assists than Ovechkin. Obviously, Ovechkin has more goals.

Crosby - 518 PA, 485 G - 1003
Ovechkin - 363 PA, 730 G - 1093

Closer than you'd think. Something that I found remarkable that Ovechkin has only scored more primary assists in 3 seasons; 2007-08 (3), 2009-10 (1), 2010-11 (10). Crosby outscored Ovechkin even in his 2011-12 injury riduled season! (16 PA to 14).

Goals are the only real difference but it shows the real different playstyles of the two

Crosby has a 0.97 career P-PPG ratio. That's a 79.54 point per 82 games pace.
Ovechkin has a 0.91 career P-PPG ratio. That's a 74.62 point per 82 games pace.

So, yeah, pretty close. The "OMG OMG OMG SECONDARY ASSIST" argument has now been debunked.

I guess we are down to "omg but goalzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Good for Sid.

You kind of expect the dual-threat playmaking/scoring center to have more points than the sniping winger when you have 2 similar tier players though. Ovechkin has 245 more goals. That's a massive amount, even if he's played more games.

And this is coming from a person who's favored Sid for the majority of their careers.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Good for Sid.

You kind of expect the dual-threat playmaking/scoring center to have more points than the sniping winger when you have 2 similar tier players though. Ovechkin has 245 more goals. That's a massive amount, even if he's played more games.

And this is coming from a person who's favored Sid for the majority of their careers.
Yup. 9 out of the 10 players with the most points in NHL history are Centers. Only exception is Jagr. Centers touch the puck more and in general have more opportunities to collect points.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbh I don't see why this thread has to be made every time one of Crosby or Ovechkin passes each other up.

Crosby's ahead now, and if/when Crosby gets hurt, then Ovi will pass him. Then if/when Ovi gets hurt, Crosby will pass him back up. I don't think either one of them is going to be producing significantly more than the other going forward, maybe Crosby will have a 5-10 point advantage over an 82 game season but it's nothing too dramatic.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It would be interesting to see how many days Ovechkin held the edge in points overall throughout their careers.

Might be the last time Crosby is behind. Hard to predict considering injuries.

Reactions: Dominance

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He was my go-to btwn him and Ovi. Ofcourse being Canadian helps.

However, I will admit, I have grown to really admire Ovechkin. Hes a super athlete, and a super nice guy. Got nothing but respect for him.

It would be cool if Sergei Ovechkin and Sid's future kid ended up being rivals in NHL in about 15-20 years.

Great rivalry. Loved the Washington and Pittsburgh matchups all the time. Still rmbr the game they both got hattys.

Congrats SC87 keep it up.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Yup. 9 out of the 10 players with the most points in NHL history are Centers. Only exception is Jagr. Centers touch the puck more and in general have more opportunities to collect points.
100% this. The two play different positions. Ofc they are going to have a wildly different mix of point production.

Wingers score more goals than centers. If you exclude Gretzky (because I mean come on, he would've set offensive records from any position), only 2 of the top 8 goal scorers of all time were centers. So ofc Ovi is going to score more goals.

And as this poster pointed out, 9 of top 10 point producers of all time are centers. So ofc Crosby is going to have a higher PPG.

Can we all just agree Crosby is the greatest center of his generation and Ovi is the greatest winger of his generation? The only real argument is which of those do you feel brings more value to your team. And that's probably team dependent, so it's probably not even an argument worth having either.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Man some people can't just appreciate talent. Why does it have to be, Sid > OV , in your face ! Chill lol celebrate his accomplishment, some of these posts are so immature.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Crosby: 1323 points, 1037 games

Ovechkin: 1320 points, 1197 games

Factually greater offensive production. Two seasons’ worth of fewer games played. Universally recognized better all-around player. La fin.

Crosby is better overall player but Ovie is better goalscorer and more durable player. I think Ovie will play several seasons longer than Crosby. Both are top5 players of all time.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby is better overall player but Ovie is better goalscorer and more durable player. I think Ovie will play several seasons longer than Crosby. Both are top5 players of all time.
Crosby will always be considered the better player when the greatest players are ranked . It's not going to be surprising when Crosby's contract expires in 4 seasons that he has around 1650 points and he may continue playing . It's not possable that both players will be considered top 5 players all time .
Neither player is better than Gretzky , Orr , Howe , Lemieux .

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
Crosby will always be considered the better player when the greatest players are ranked . It's not going to be surprising when Crosby's contract expires in 4 seasons that he has around 1650 points and he may continue playing . It's not possable that both players will be considered top 5 players all time .
Neither player is better than Gretzky , Orr , Howe , Lemieux .

Both are better than Howe and Lemieux and I would put Lidström on top5 too and maybe even Hasek or Brodeaur.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Both are better than Howe and Lemieux and I would put Lidström on top5 too and maybe even Hasek or Brodeaur.

No, they are not even CLOSE to Lemieux nor are they better than Howe.

I have Lidstrom in my top 10-15, but he is not even close to the top 4.

At best, Crosby and Ovechkin could be 5 and 6 if one insists on bunching them together. In reality, they are both part of the 5-20 bunch. I could see people arguing to rank them anywhere in that range; not higher nor lower though.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->